Residence permit - PhD student

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
praajhen

Post by praajhen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:46 pm

My PhD contract and residence permit end in June 2018. I guess that I can't graduate before June 2018. I don’t have any official funding after June 2018 but I would like to stay here and complete my degree. In this case, how to extend my residence permit?

Advanced thanks for your valuable time and comments.

Thank you,
Pragha

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piapia

Re: Residence permit - PhD student

Post by Piapia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:22 pm

Hi, if you have been working on your project with long-term work contracts;
* do your registration to Te-toimisto as job seeker starting from the first day of your unemployment.
* apply to unemployment benefits and present all of your work contracts, payslips etc. ask them what documents are additionally required.
* Your status as full-time or part-time student will be decided by Te-toimisto, and you can get the benefits if your status is recognised as part-time student! You do not have any right as full-time student.
- This decision process will take about 1 month, and you need this decision -unemployment benefits- for your residence permit application! so, I recommend you to contact with Te-toimisto asap..

If you get a positive decision from Te-toimisto and Union or Kela decides to support you while you are looking for a job, attach these documents to your residence permit application as source of income.

Plus if you apply for unemployment benefits as doctoral candidate, please do not forget that you are receiving this support to find a new work contract to yourself! not for working full-time on your current project.. and explain this situation on your application.

(If you want to finish your PhD, since you are part-time student -if recognised as part-time-, you could be allowed to work part-time.. but am not sure tho :roll: )
-If your status is recognised as full-time student, then your only possibility is;
* to submit your bank account statement (min. 6700 eu) as source of income to Migri, but in this case probably you can get 1 year B type permit..

Good luck!

praajhen

Re: Residence permit - PhD student

Post by praajhen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Many thanks for your detailed guidelines.

Best,
Pragha