Moving to Finland in June

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
surprisinghorizons

Post by surprisinghorizons » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:24 am

Hi everyone I'll be moving from Singapore to Helsinki in June to work (after 7 years here in SG, and 3 in Hong Kong), so I've done all the basics and have some sort of grasp of what to expect when I arrive (I'm EU).

My question is: What do you wish you knew before you made the move to Finland? Things that are surprising, could be small, could be big. Little Finnish quirks that impacted you. Maybe some weird tips that you have made work over the years you have lived there! Maybe things you know now that saves you time and effort if you didn't know otherwise.

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Keravalainen

Re: Moving to Finland in June

Post by Keravalainen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:30 am

Hi!
Here's some quick advice:
https://www.tripsavvy.com/things-not-to ... nd-1626256

But for a more comprehensive walk-through on learning how to live Finland, pls read this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Finland-Culture- ... W8GQ1EK816

Hope this will help you!
Last edited by Keravalainen on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiina_Finn23

Post by Tiina_Finn23 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 am

I live in an apartment block in Finland, near Helsinki. When I moved here we were told we could buy a washing machine for the apartment or we could make use of the shared washing room which everyone in the apartment block can use.

I wish I'd known that you had to reserve a spot to use the shared washing machine. I thought if it was not in use you could just use it. This was an embarrassing error!

Most things which I didn't know about before have just turned out to be a pleasant surprise so hopefully you will have a similar experience!

:D

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Ohhh there could be many things...

- Don't be offended if a person loan you some money (as little as 2 €) and ask you to return in a certain time period :D I didn't know it.
- People are not unfriendly, they are a bit quite. As soon as you get to know them, things will change.
- Don't get offended if someone doesn't leave their sofa to say you goodbye when you are leaving their home.
- It is not as cold as you might think (weather wise)
- Always use tons of layers instead of one giant jacket
- Get used to dark fast :D there are going to be a lot of looooooong dark nights
- When people tell you Finnish is difficult, acknowledge their opinion and get back to studying Finnish. It is tricky but not as difficult as you might think.. It is just an easy way out to think if this language is difficult, it requires a lot of time and patience.
- umm if you meet people in the bar /disco / night club and you seems to become their best friends, don't be offended if they won't even say you "hi" next day if you'll see them somewhere :D

Oki I can't think of any, if something will come up I will update this post :D

Tiina_Finn23

Post by Tiina_Finn23 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:28 pm

People are not unfriendly, they are a bit quite. As soon as you get to know them, things will change.
- Don't get offended if someone doesn't leave their sofa to say you goodbye when you are leaving their home.
- It is not as cold as you might think (weather wise)
- Always use tons of layers instead of one giant jacket
Agree!
Get used to dark fast :D there are going to be a lot of looooooong dark nights
In Helsinki and surrounding southern areas I really didn't find that winter was all that dark. But when I have been further north it's been super light during Summer and then equally dark during Winter.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:29 pm

In Helsinki and surrounding southern areas I really didn't find that winter was all that dark. But when I have been further north it's been super light during Summer and then equally dark during Winter.
I have lived in somewhat North for couple of years, I remember my first year was really miserable since I didn't expect it to get dark that fast and for such long periods of time. It was more like, you go to school / work and it is dark and when you're coming back it will still be dark :lol: :lol: :lol: but it was a real treat when sun would show up :beer_yum: :beer_yum: especially in Feb / March, and in summer it would be opposite :)

P.S. This winter was awesome :lol: