Documents legalization/authentication for marriage in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:11 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any link or information about laws how to legalize the documents before getting married in Finland.

I know that before, we could get Marital status certificate in our home country, get it legalized by our Ministry of Forreign Affairs and then by our embassy in Finland.
However, recently I have heard that Maistraatti do not accept papers legalized at a foreign embassy in Finland. They only accept papers with stamps from Finnish embassy in the local country.
Is that true and is there any concrete law about this?

Many thanks 🙏🏻

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Documents legalization/authentication for marriage in Finland

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am

Tarja2905 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:11 am
Hi,

Does anyone have any link or information about laws how to legalize the documents before getting married in Finland.

I know that before, we could get Marital status certificate in our home country, get it legalized by our Ministry of Forreign Affairs and then by our embassy in Finland.
However, recently I have heard that Maistraatti do not accept papers legalized at a foreign embassy in Finland. They only accept papers with stamps from Finnish embassy in the local country.
Is that true and is there any concrete law about this?

Many thanks 🙏🏻
Why not ask Maistraatti directly? Whatever their policy is, it's unlikely that it's illegal, so that they would change it based on such claims.

heretostay

Re: Documents legalization/authentication for marriage in Finland

Post by heretostay » Fri May 18, 2018 12:40 pm

There is an established international legal procedure and it is called Grand Legalisation. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legaliz ... ional_law)