Settling in Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ai101016

Settling in Finland?

Post by ai101016 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi, I am a third year student in Japanese art university. I'm studying design.
I want to be professional illustrator and wish to do my work in Finland. (I love Finnish environment and design. )
I heard that Finland is very difficult country to settle in.
So I think it's better to get a job experience in Japan that is highly demand in Finland.
Hopefully I can get a working visa in that field and gradually change that to fleelance /artist visa.
Is it sounds possible? Or is there better way to living in Finland?
I also started to learn Finnish.

Settling in Finland?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Settling in Finland?

Post by Upphew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:56 pm

ai101016 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:54 pm
I want to be professional illustrator and wish to do my work in Finland. (I love Finnish environment and design. )
So I think it's better to get a job experience in Japan that is highly demand in Finland.
Hopefully I can get a working visa in that field and gradually change that to fleelance /artist visa.
Visa is for visiting, residence permit is for residing. You don't gradually change anything, you are either working or self employed. Try not to confuse bureaucrats.
Design sounds like a niche field. Could you do your masters here?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

wolf80

Re: Settling in Finland?

Post by wolf80 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:01 pm

ai101016 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:54 pm
If only I had a cent for every unemployed graphic designer, graphic artist or designer I've met over the years in Finland, I'd be rich. If you wanna survive here you have to bring something really special to the table.

Agree with Upphew, better come here to study. Don't count on finding a job afterward, but at least you had some time in Finland.

Finding a job that would allow you to get a residence permit based on work will be very hard.