Residence Permit for Employed Person

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
machaela

Post by machaela » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Moi!

I just came to Finland one month ago and found a job that will start at the very end of July. I am an American citizen, but I also have a Hungarian residence permit (for studies). I applied for the residence permit last week, but I have a few concerns... I have heard that it can take quite a long time to receive the work permit, so I am wondering if this means that I will not be able to start my job next month. I saw that if you work as a teacher (and I will be working as an assistant teacher at a kindergarten) then you can work for three month without the permit, which would give me five months in total to receive it. Can I still continue working even if a decision hasn't been made on the permit? Does anyone have any clue at all as to what the current processing times are? I'd really appreciate some feedback from anyone who might be in even a remotely similar situation.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

m.parvia

Re: Residence Permit for Employed Person

Post by m.parvia » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:12 pm

machaela wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:39 pm
Moi!

I just came to Finland one month ago and found a job that will start at the very end of July. I am an American citizen, but I also have a Hungarian residence permit (for studies). I applied for the residence permit last week, but I have a few concerns... I have heard that it can take quite a long time to receive the work permit, so I am wondering if this means that I will not be able to start my job next month. I saw that if you work as a teacher (and I will be working as an assistant teacher at a kindergarten) then you can work for three month without the permit, which would give me five months in total to receive it. Can I still continue working even if a decision hasn't been made on the permit? Does anyone have any clue at all as to what the current processing times are? I'd really appreciate some feedback from anyone who might be in even a remotely similar situation.
http://migri.fi/en/processing-times This should give you an estimate for processing times.

If you work without a residence permit, you may be punished by a fine. You should check these out, there are some conditions where you can work:
http://migri.fi/en/working-in-finland
http://migri.fi/en/work-without-residence-permit

Aloosh

Post by Aloosh » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 am

10 months and waiting...

machaela

Post by machaela » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:28 pm

10 months? Yikes. And if you don't mind me asking, how soon was your job supposed to start from the time you applied? Did you end up having to give up the job because you have been waiting so long for the permit?

Aloosh

Post by Aloosh » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:30 am

Well I am a business owner and am employed in my own company but yeah after investing so much money and time.....its torturous :?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:38 am

Aloosh wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:30 am
Well I am a business owner and am employed in my own company but yeah after investing so much money and time.....its torturous :?
Are you sure you are employed? If you own your business you work in, then I'd say you are entrepreneur. See migri.fi/en/entrepreneur
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Aloosh

Post by Aloosh » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Yes I am employed in my own company. There are various types: Self- employed, Employed & Entrepreneur. In my case a partial decision is required from the Labor office and then Migri makes the final decision: https://migri.fi/en/working-in-finland

CCForest

Post by CCForest » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:17 pm

The processing time for the Entrepreneur and employed person is unbelievably long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beamer: :beamer: :beamer:
I submitted the application papers in February 2018. Already 1 year passed, it's still "Waiting for processing". :roll: :roll: :roll:

How about your cases?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:08 pm

I guess I was lucky because mine was very quick. Less than 6 months.

Westerner

Post by Westerner » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:41 am

CCForest wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:17 pm
The processing time for the Entrepreneur and employed person is unbelievably long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beamer: :beamer: :beamer:
I submitted the application papers in February 2018. Already 1 year passed, it's still "Waiting for processing". :roll: :roll: :roll:

How about your cases?
Mine some, I was applied Feb. 2018 by Papers but it is Still 'İn Progress''. Although I got a partial decision 2.5 half months ago.
We still don't know, how long will be taken. Unbearable/miserable Process.

myth

Post by myth » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:22 pm

Applied in July 2018, partial decision made on December 2018, Waiting since then.

CCForest

Post by CCForest » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Mine some, I was applied Feb. 2018 by Papers but it is Still 'İn Progress''. Although I got a partial decision 2.5 half months ago.
We still don't know, how long will be taken. Unbearable/miserable Process.
Dear Westerner, yours (already in process) must be earlier than my case! Good luck.
When your got the card, please mentioned here as a reference. :D :D :D

Sgzaknf

Post by Sgzaknf » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:58 am

I applied on November and gave proved my identity on november 22 ,2019. Its almost 4 months now. Waiting for processing.. what i can do if it will be more than 4 months because in the migri processing times it tells total processing time is about 4 months

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:26 am

A cook my boss hired has been waiting since August. My boss is frustrated and the cook is kind of bored just being here and not able to work. A partial decision was made by te already. I think my boss said that was in December maybe.