Opening a Finnish bank account with EU ID to deposit cash

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
m4cc

Post by m4cc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 am

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to easily open an account on any Finnish bank with an European ID?

I am working outside the Eurozone although I am an European citizen and have a valid ID.

I am going to travel to Finland so I would like to bring some Euro in cash (within the allowed limits, of course) and deposit it into a newly created Finnish bank account from which I can transfer it to the account on my country of origin without paying the ridiculous costs an international transfer will incur.

Sadly I won't have time to fly over to my country of origin.

Please let me know if this would be possible.

Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Opening a Finnish bank account with EU ID to deposit cash

Post by tavastia » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Will most probably not possible. They will need Finnish identity number. They will smell it like money laundering.

HannahBanana

Post by HannahBanana » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 am

I work in a bank and can tell you it is no way possible. You have to have a proven link to Finland (ie. job, RP, citizenship), a valid RP or a letter stating you've either registered to the police (EU citizen) or applied for RP, passport from your own country, proof of origin of the funds and still we probably wouldn't take your cash but you would need to transfer it through Netbanking. So it's best to just suck it up and pay the transfer charges as at best the banks will refuse you, at worst report you for suspicion on money laundering.

m4cc

Post by m4cc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:55 am

Thank you for your reply. I understand, that does make sense.

Kössi K

Post by Kössi K » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:38 pm

In addition to Banana's post, in some (most?) banks you won't get by with only your country's passport, but need a personal ID card with photo (from the police), as well. AND then proven income for at least 3 months into a bank account that they may grudgingly open up for you, before you even get the bank codes for their netbanking service (that you'd need for transferring your money from the Fi account elsewhere). This is the case for at least 2 major banks in Finland, even when the Finnish native spouse has been a customer at both for 15-20 years. Just trying to get the bank codes that are the magic key to all services in Finland, but nope, no quick fixes.
Yah, I visited them a few times, not that I was sour about it at all. :roll: /endrant
Joha mie sanoi, vaikken mittää virkkant.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Kössi K wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:38 pm
In addition to Banana's post, in some (most?) banks you won't get by with only your country's passport, but need a personal ID card with photo (from the police), as well. AND then proven income for at least 3 months into a bank account that they may grudgingly open up for you, before you even get the bank codes for their netbanking service (that you'd need for transferring your money from the Fi account elsewhere).
The law has changed and waiting periods for residents for online banking codes are not allowed. Online banking is now part of essential banking services (peruspankkipalvelut).

Kössi K

Post by Kössi K » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 am

The law has changed and waiting periods for residents for online banking codes are not allowed. Online banking is now part of essential banking services (peruspankkipalvelut).
[/quote]
Excellent, about time, too. Haven't bothered to check in on it for a while as they made it so cumbersome earlier. Kiitos, että ehdit vastailla ja vinkata!
Joha mie sanoi, vaikken mittää virkkant.

Worried

Post by Worried » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:10 pm

m4cc wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:18 am
Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to easily open an account on any Finnish bank with an European ID?

I I have the same question, altough I would like to know if I can open Finnish bank account using EU Passport?
Thank you.

HannahBanana

Post by HannahBanana » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:17 pm

I work in a bank and deal with foreign customers a lot. It is possible to get an account opened in Finland with any passport, if you have proven ties to Finland and can justify the need for a bank account. That is to say, you can't open an account just for the f*ck of it, but if you will receive an income into your account, or benefits from Kela, you will be able to open a bank account.

Worried

Post by Worried » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Yes, I will be receiving my salary in the account, haha!! And I would need some sort of debit/credit card tied to the account, so that I can spend the money while in Finland! :ochesey:

Thanx for the info!