Specific Details

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
juliekay

Specific Details

Post by juliekay » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi everyone,
im plannig to move to FInland for just one year with my two girls 6 and 4 without my husband.
i would love it if you provide me with the following details:

- Are there free or affordable english speaking schools not necessarily IB cos actually i love the finnish system.
- How is it the housing system if i want to rent a 1 bedroom nearby school.
-what is required to be able to make the move to relocate to finland?
-would it be easy if i dont speak but english and french?

pls give me all details that i didnt mention as well!
Anything will be beneficial

thankssss
julie

Specific Details

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Specific Details

Post by Upphew » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:16 pm

juliekay wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:06 pm
Hi everyone,
im plannig to move to FInland for just one year with my two girls 6 and 4 without my husband.
i would love it if you provide me with the following details:

- Are there free or affordable english speaking schools not necessarily IB cos actually i love the finnish system.
- How is it the housing system if i want to rent a 1 bedroom nearby school.
-what is required to be able to make the move to relocate to finland?
-would it be easy if i dont speak but english and french?

pls give me all details that i didnt mention as well!
Anything will be beneficial

thankssss
julie
Primary education is free. If you intend to stay here, go for Finnish school. If you are planning to stay only for few years, then go for IB, imo.
Housing system is simple, be the best tenant and you'll get the apartment, pay the bills in time and don't thrash the place.
I'd prioritize the reason for move, job, school, family. Just coming here is no go. Have you looked at migri.fi or infopankki.fi
You would most likely manage just fine with English, many do.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 am

Will you be working or are you planning to study?
Do you have EU citizenship?
Which location are you moving to? Helsinki?

Btw. The age for starting school is 7. Your eldest might be able to start primary school if she turns 7 in 2018 but the younger one will go to daycare (päiväkoti).

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 am

thank you for details. no eu citizenship. not moving for work. i want to give my kids a new cultural experience. i heard a lot about finland school system and i would love to try it out.
we havent decided which city to live in . im still researching and asking expats living there. so any detail is valuable now .

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:36 pm

juliekay wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 am
thank you for details. no eu citizenship. not moving for work. i want to give my kids a new cultural experience. i heard a lot about finland school system and i would love to try it out.
we havent decided which city to live in . im still researching and asking expats living there. so any detail is valuable now .
No EU means you need a reason for your residence permit. No husband and no work, so that the only realistic option is study. And then you're dependent on which uni will accept you.
I think you should first find out if you can stay in Finland. (unless you already solved it and didn't mention it here)

Kössi K

Post by Kössi K » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:24 pm

rinso wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:36 pm
juliekay wrote:
No EU means you need a reason for your residence permit. No husband and no work, so that the only realistic option is study. And then you're dependent on which uni will accept you.
I think you should first find out if you can stay in Finland. (unless you already solved it and didn't mention it here)
Exactly this, and what the others replied above, as well.
Just because you "want to give kids a new cultural experience", doesn't mean that you'll simply get to do so. That is not a valid reason by any standard to get a residence permit here, let alone enroll kids to school. Sorry, but it's not up for you to decide to move in.

In theory, your options are: 1) marry a Finn who lives here, but since you have a husband, that option is out.
2) get a job contract and apply for a work permit. If you get a good job with perhaps a helpful company to help with the paperwork, those permits can actually come pretty swiftly. But you said 'not moving for work'.
Or as Rinso said, 3) apply for studies. Also not a quick process, and uni stuff won't happen this year anymore, and not easy to get into (you can't just enroll, there are entrance exams and/or set application times). Also nowadays not free for foreing applicants anymore, either.
Residence permit application for former Finnish citizens

Perhaps the only option left then is 4) Residence permit for former Finnish citizens. You can apply for that RP if you have been a Finnish citizen, or that at least one of your parents or grandparents is or has been a Finnish citizen by birth.

If you really want to offer the kids a new cultural experience, they have a better chance at that as an exchange student for a year when they are in high school. Several programs are available, costs vary, some foreing schools have friendship ties with Finnish ones for easier processing.
Joha mie sanoi, vaikken mittää virkkant.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:58 am

Kössi K wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:24 pm
rinso wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:36 pm
juliekay wrote:
Exactly this, and what the others replied above, as well.
Just because you "want to give kids a new cultural experience", doesn't mean that you'll simply get to do so. That is not a valid reason by any standard to get a residence permit here, let alone enroll kids to school. Sorry, but it's not up for you to decide to move in.

In theory, your options are: 1) marry a Finn who lives here, but since you have a husband, that option is out.
2) get a job contract and apply for a work permit. If you get a good job with perhaps a helpful company to help with the paperwork, those permits can actually come pretty swiftly. But you said 'not moving for work'.
Or as Rinso said, 3) apply for studies. Also not a quick process, and uni stuff won't happen this year anymore, and not easy to get into (you can't just enroll, there are entrance exams and/or set application times). Also nowadays not free for foreing applicants anymore, either.
Residence permit application for former Finnish citizens

Perhaps the only option left then is 4) Residence permit for former Finnish citizens. You can apply for that RP if you have been a Finnish citizen, or that at least one of your parents or grandparents is or has been a Finnish citizen by birth.

If you really want to offer the kids a new cultural experience, they have a better chance at that as an exchange student for a year when they are in high school. Several programs are available, costs vary, some foreing schools have friendship ties with Finnish ones for easier processing.
There is also the "other grounds", but I have my doubts how well "new cultural experience" would fly with people processing the application. https://migri.fi/en/residence-permit-on-other-grounds
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.