Interview for spousal ties

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:40 am

US citizen who married a Finnish citizen here. I've been in Finland living with my wife since April waiting for a decision on my RP application that I submitted in May. But, the more I read on this forum, the more I come across the notion of an interview for people applying based on spousal ties. I understand why they're done, so I'm not here to complain about them. I just want to know -- preferably from people in a similar situation -- what information and documentation I should be gathering in preparation for that interview. I wasn't ever told about an interview when I applied at the Migri office; then again, I knew it was a likelihood.

If it helps, some backstory: I've known my wife since 2012; we met online. I visited her twice in Finland before we decided to marry in May. All of this was explained on the application.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Interview for spousal ties

Post by tavastia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:53 am

You may collect: old pictures together, flight tickets when you meet, any proof of any kind of things you do together (e.g. hotel bookings, flights), phone call lists, etc

Kössi K

Re: Interview for spousal ties

Post by Kössi K » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:31 am

We also went for an interview at the local police HQ a few weeks after submitting the application, it's common practice here apparently.
We were not asked to bring any photos, tickets or anything like that. I asked them about it when they called me for scheduling the appointment time. They only wanted the marriage certificate, the usual ID and earlier res.permit papers/card, and then they scanned+copied those for their records. Although they said they can see the marriage info in their database too, via Maistraatti.
So, I'd suggest either calling them and asking yourself, or just asking about it when they contact you for scheduling the meeting, just in case there are other preferences depending on the interviewer. Here they seemed to think 'less is more', frankly.

They interviewed us both individually and then with both present, just asking general info. Basically going through the same questions we already replied in the application. None of those questions like 'What colour are your bedroom curtains?' were asked. :D We pondered if they would, as had naturally read about those scenarios somewhere, too. I think the most personal questions were whether either of us had met the spouse's parents or siblings, and their names. I guess it varies case by case.
Joha mie sanoi, vaikken mittää virkkant.