Coming to Finland....some help needed.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
M00nbean

Re: Coming to Finland....some help needed.

Post by M00nbean » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am

Hi, sorry if my reply was a bit confusing.

My husband bought a public bus/train card, and once you have that card you can load it at a kiosk with money for your travels.

The whole idea of the public card is so that you don't have to pay the bus operator with cash as it takes up a bit more time loading the bus. So you do have to pay every time that you use the train or bus service.

There are these little electronic card scanners on the bus or train, and you swipe your card in front of them and choose how many tickets you would like to purchase, etc. Once you have chosen which option you like, it takes the money off of your card.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:21 am

There's no inter-city bus terminal at the airport, you will have to travel to Helsinki city center (unless boarding a bus somewhere along its route). See https://matkahuolto.fi/en/, https://www.onnibus.com/home and https://www.vr.fi/cs/vr/en/frontpage . Depending on where you're heading, a train or a connecting flight might be a more viable option than a bus.

Kössi K

Post by Kössi K » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi, here are answers from a Finnish native. Firstly, just like the others above, I also think you may be overreacting quite a bit. From that line of questions, it is clear you're from a completely different culture, but also makes one wonder, whether you've read the basic culture info of some other country, not Finland.

Answers here below the copied questions:
What should I do if I encounter racist group (for example skinhead type of groups, or neo-nazi type of group)?
Obviously one cannot defend himself if he is alone against a hostile group of people.
I can run but not very fast.
Should one stay and wait for possible help or try to escape?
- Always good to try and walk away calmly, in any situation. I'd have to say that those groups aren't really that common here, it's not like they're constantly running amok on the streets, honestly.

Question number 2:
Lets say I encounter a group of people or a person who is racist or neo-nazist or has similar views, but does not openly express his opinion and is not obviously aggressive towards me.
Is there any way to detect such "person" earlier and if so what exactly should I look for?
- Again see above. Detecting these people: swastika tattoos or logos in clothing (like someone else up there said). And if anyone does not openly express their opinion or aren't aggressive towards you, why would you need to pay any special attention to them? Just keep walking and mind your own business.

Question number 3: I don't know the language, but I do speak English fluently.
How should I properly ask people on the street/clerks/in shops etc. etc. so that they are willing to help me? Should I try to ask in Finnish "Puhu ko Englantia" or should I ask straight in English?
How should I talk in English so that people do not behave like introverts and try to help me/will be willing to help me?
- Easy to ask directly in English. A lot of Finns can/will reply in English, and many are generally even happy to use it, if they notice you don't really speak Finnish, and they tend to easily switch to English right away (and many like to get some practice for their own English skills anyway - we've noticed this in many places, especially shops, with my English speaking husband).
- Many people are introverts and might not rather talk to strangers. Again, this depends on the people themselves, and also a bit on the area where they live, or are from. Younger to middle-aged people tend to have better English skills in general, whereas old people (senior citizens) often might not speak English at all. E.g. my own grandparents could not speak a word of any other language than Finnish, my father (now in his 70s) learned English at school already, whereas my mom learned German instead as the 1st foreign language, but later took courses to brush up on English.
- In general, I'd say people are willing to help you, if you ask nicely. If they don't understand you or are too busy etc, just ask someone else or the clerks/shop staff instead.

Question number 4: Should I absolutely avoid talking to Finnish women (for example clerks, shop owners, waitress, etc. etc.) if there are young native males around? what is the chance of encountering possible aggression?
- No need to avoid talking to women here, it's a free country. Aggression: a very very small chance - unless the woman is already someone's girlfriend/wife, and you are hitting on her in front of her boyfriend/husband. But the same would apply to both genders, and to any nationality. So I'd suggest avoid blatant flirting. I think you really should read some websites that tell more about the everyday life and culture in Finland.

Question number 5: is it allowed to walk on the right-most side of the road in Finland, if there is no appropriate place to walk (no walkway) and if there is walkway but there is too much ice/snow on top? Can I get arrested if doing so or get a fine?
- No big limitations to where you walk. You certainly will not get arrested or even get a fine for that. Again, it's a free country.
However, a good rule of thumb about general road rules, that we get taught here already when we are kids: if you walk on the highway/road, walk primarily on the left side of the street, if possible. So you're basically walking on the side of the lane of the oncoming traffic. This is just common sense-based road rule: you can see the cars better, and can hop a bit further to the side/off the road itself onto the grass, if see a big truck or something. The general rules do also say, that if it is for any reason safer for you to use the right-hand side, you can use also that. It's not set in stone.
- If you are using a bicycle, you cycle on the same side (right-hand side) as the actual traffic.
- Towns here generally have a lot of actual walking/cycling paths separately, both in town centres and in suburbs. Foreigners often marvel at the large amount of separate bike paths - great for cycling safely, when you don't have to do it among the traffic. And they may even cut your travel distance shorter than by car, for example, when those paths often run through parks and lawn areas.
Check out this link for more details, and handy pictures: https://www.liikenneturva.fi/en/road-sa ... estrians-1
- Also warmly recommended: at night time, wear a reflector. They are cheap, small, (attached by a clip or safety pin to your coat etc.), and available in any supermarket, and improve your visibility a lot, especially on roadside or even in the city.

Question number 6: When using public transport/bus, where do usually aggressive young people sit( people sharing skinhead, racist and similar views)? Back seats or front?
- They can sit anywhere, just like you. Why would you expect aggressive people to sit in certain spots?

Question number 7: When using the public transport, which door should I use to board and leave the bus? Front or Rear?
- Always board from the front, never rear. Because that's where you can buy your bus ticket from the driver, or swipe those prepaid/prebought travel cards that were mentioned in someone else's post. You should always try to exit from the center or the rear door, just for convenience for everyone.

Question number 8: When using public transport bus, is it bad to purchase ticket from the driver too often? If the driver is the same is the same every time?
- Heh, sorry, this made me chuckle. (It must be a cultural thing over where you live now, if it even occurs to you to ask about this.) You can buy a ticket from the driver as many times you want, they don't care, and will happily sell you a ticket 10 times a day if it so happens. It is their job.
- You also asked in your other post about the exact change in buses: you don't need exact change. They'll give you your change back. (I ran into this 'exact fare only' dilemma in the USA, so I understand asking about that.)
Common guideline is to use coins, or notes that are max. 20 eur (notes come in 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 eur). They might not like it, if you have a 3-euro-ticket, but you pay with a 50 eur note (just extra hassle for the drivers if they have to give change back to a lot of people during their route). It is just considered a common courtesy to use smaller notes or coins for local bus fares, as it is quicker for them.
- In some towns, you can also buy a ticket with your mobile phone, and show the sms text message to the driver. You can find out more about that from that town's bus info.

Question number 9: Can you please teach me hostile/insulting/racially related words in Finnish language, so that I can listen to Finnish people talking and recognize possible hostile behavior earlier?
- This would take a while, and might not be useful anyway, as dialects vary a lot, and might not show up properly if the forum has filtering for posts here.

Question number 10: How can I recognize fake-friendly behavior towards me? How do I know people pretend they like me etc. etc.
- How do you recognize this behaviour in your own country? Not that different, we're just people, too. I'd say though, that there is a lot less of that 'fake broad Pepsodent smile' behaviour here in Finland than in some other westerner countries (*cough murica cough*), even in shops/salespeople.

Question number 11: Should I trust authorities/police always? Are there a lot of people working in authority/police with nationalistic views?
- I'd say you can pretty much trust the authorities and police. Unless you are boasting an 'ACAB' tattoo prominently or behave irrationally, you won't get into trouble. Can't say about the nationalistic views in authority, really.. guessing it's no different to other professions. This is one of those questions that I think you're worried about for no actual reason. And didn't you just make a point in your own post saying you're a white caucasian.. So I wonder why are you so worried about these matters?

Question number 12: When I am about to buy food from stores or shops, should I try to construct sentence and ask in Finnish language or should I stick to English? What is the chance of not being serviced/being cheated/scammed when using English?
- Buying food from shops: all the prices are marked very clearly on the shelves, and the cash registers give out that exact sum when they use the scanner to scan each item. You are very likely not going to be cheated or scammed, no matter what language you use. You can use English just as well. In the rare case of the shop staff not understanding you, they'll likely get someone else to help you in the shop, so you will get service. On the cash registers when you are paying for your shopping, you can generally also see the sum total on the screen of the register, too, in case you can't follow what the cashier is saying.

Question number 13 (At work): at work should I try to ask other workers/co-workers/colleagues for help when I need assistance or instructions/information, or should I try to find a solution on my own?
- Depends on the problem and your own personality, I guess. Never hurts to ask someone else, if you can't find something or when in doubt.

Question number 14: Is the general opinion of Finns about foreign workers too bad and negative? If I get asked about how much I get paid should I lie and tell a higher wage (close or similar to wage that a Finnish worker would be getting paid for doing the same work) or should I tell the real numbers?
- Ok, first things first: Finns do not talk about their wages. They just don't. It's considered a personal matter, and nobody is going to ask that from you out of the blue. It is like religion. You don't ask, and they usually don't talk about it. (Unless they are those rare cases of being very religious, and even they often don't start talking about it.) In fact, I'd actually say that asking someone about their wages is considered even rude and very odd, people are not comfortable telling others how much or little they earn. It's none of their business.
Should the very uncommon situation arise and someone could just be curious how much a certain job might pay; honesty is always a good idea. In everything. I'd bet though, that the asker is not a Finn.

Question number 15: at the work-site, who should I trust mostly? My direct executive or my boss (company owner)? (Given the fact that both are Finnish nationals)
- Depends on the work site. Usually people talk first to their first direct boss above them, as the higher-up bosses tend to have more important stuff to do. Generally, there is no solid rule about this, and often they will give some introduction regarding their policies and practices when you first start working in that company, and they'll give the info of people who you should contact when x or y happens. Or you can always ask them about this, when you first get there and get the introduction / tour.

Question number 16: if I do not get paid on time, or my payment gets delayed, or I get paid less, should I ask immediately or wait some time? (if so how long-2-3 days, 1 week, a month?). Is there a chance I get fired or my payment is further delayed if I ask at all?
- I'd suggest asking as soon as possible. If such a thing happens, it could be a simple clerical error or just a mistake somewhere. It's always a good idea to ask the payments department or your boss right away, if something is wrong, so also they can check if there is a mistake somewhere and correct it. It will be important also for them to correct such things early for bookkeeping reasons, the sooner the better. Certainly you won't get fired or get further delays on your payment just for asking.

Question number 17: How may times can I go to the toiled in one work-shift without getting a fine or a warning? How long can I stay in the toilet?
- Honestly, if you need the toilet, use it. It is as simple as that. There are no limitations to the amounts or lengths. Bodily functions are normal. If you stay there for an hour though, I'm sure they'd actually get worried and check if you are still alive and not passed out or sick... :) You're not going to get a warning, let alone a fine for it. (What kind of a country are you from, seriously, to even ask this?)

Question number 18 (Weather related)
How many blouses/T-shirts should I put under my main jacket if it's approximately -5, -7 Celsius in the winter?
Is 1 T-Shirt, 2 thick blouses under the Jacket( standard winter European Jacket) enough if I work in a partially closed space without wind?
- This totally depends on you personally. I'd use a long sleeved cotton shirt (just normal shirt) + a winter jacket. My husband would have a tshirt + winter jacket... and he's from Australia! :D I'd think if you have tshirt+ 2 thick blouses and any jacket, you'd be sweating pretty quickly.
It is such a personal preference, depends if it is indeed windy, how many hours you are out there, if you get warm easily or not.. So my best advice is to have t-shirt + long sleeved shirt with your jacket, and see how it feels those days. You can always take more stuff off, when get warm. Or just pack an extra thick blouse in your bag when you go to work, so you have options - especially if you're out for several hours, and because the weather can change pretty quickly.
- If you do work on a construction site in the winter though, I would recommend buying a cheap winter coat over here when you arrive, and when you see if it is cold or not. The daily temperatures vary a LOT, from day to day, week to week, and certainly, depending on where in Finland you'll be. South coast is warmer, up north in Lapland and eastern parts are much colder, in general.
- Important also: in winter if it does get well below zero, you should get a knitted beanie or other type of hat (or 'pipo' in Finnish), to keep your head and ears warm. Also gloves, gloves are important if you work outdoors (unless your company provides you these, some places provide outdoor work clothes, depends what you do and where), and even if you need to walk around to and from buses and shops. Gloves/mittens are your friends!
- You might want to buy a few pairs of warm socks, too, depending on the weather and your shoes. Winter shoes might also be a good idea, if you are working a lot outdoors and for extended periods. The cold rises from the ground, as well, as it gets proper deep frost over the winter. And trust me, you will start to feel the coldness of the chilly ground very soon, if you have thin, poor shoes and just thin socks only. Especially if spending hours outside, it will be worth it to get proper winter shoes – frozen feet and toes are no laughing matter.

Question number 19(Housing & etc.): is it safe to leave money and valuables in my place if I live in a rental house/apartment? Are robberies a common thing in Finland?
- It is generally very safe. Where do you think the locals keep theirs? I wouldn't bring crown jewels and all your life savings in one box, if you live in a bad neighbourhood. We do of course get some break-ins, just like any country, but not more (nor less) than any other place. It certainly isn't an everyday thing. Just lock your door and keep windows closed when you are out. I've lived in several towns for a few decades on my own, in various neighbourhoods, and I've never had a robbery in my place, nor do I know anyone personally who has had that happen, in the past 20+ years, if that says anything. However, I've had a few times when someone tried to steal my old car (and know friends who did get their car stolen), or broken a car window in the city centre, at night in the weekend (stupid drunk people).

Question number 20:(Relation with people):
If a drunk woman/girl approaches me and asks me for sex/encounter/date etc. etc. or starts touching me or flirting with me, what should I say to ask her to go on her way?
- How attractive are you?? I guess that could happen in a bar/nightclub in town at night with drunken people.. You can just ask them to stop in English, or just say "Lopeta." (= "Stop it."). "Jätä minut rauhaan." = "Leave me alone." That should work. Or you could just lift up your hand to a stopping gesture and walk away. Drunken women hate rejection, and would most likely just huff and walk away. (I've worked as a bartender, so trust me, seen it.)
- If such a thing happens and there is police nearby can I get accidentally arrested and accused of being a prostitution client? (Even if the woman turns out not being an actual prostitute)
- No, arrests like that won't happen. They'd need proof of all sorts, if she's a minor. And see Upphew's answer earlier. To be quite honest though, there aren't any swarms of prostitutes roaming the streets in every corner here. You'd have to go looking for them in most towns, and know where to go looking for them, too.

When traveling with a bus, if I do not have exact change or coins, how much is the ticket/fine I have to pay? Is it true that I have to travel all the way to Helsinki in order to pay my ticket/fine? Is it possible that the driver will call the police or use force to take me off the bus if I do not have exact change/coins?
- I answered this above when talking about buses, but yeah, you don't need exact change here in buses. If you're in another town, you don't need to go to Helsinki to pay for anything, local matters are local, if such arise. The drivers will certainly NOT call the police for that (see answer earlier).

When traveling with a bus, (public transport) is it allowed to carry a large bag/suitcase, and how much do I have to pay for it?
- You can carry any amount and sizes of bags you want, no extra charge in buses or trains. Just try not to leave it in the middle of walkways so nobody trips over it.

What do you recommend me do for having less exposure to sunlight while being in Finland? Should I purchase some sort of vitamins or try to go out and stay in the sun? Is sunbathing allowed during the summer in Finland if I stay in a private space/place (for example forest/mountain etc)
- Many people take extra D vitamins in the winter, due to the small amount of sunlight then. Sunbathing is allowed in parks, public beaches and any private spaces. Just keep your pants on and you'll be fine. As a common courtesy, wear also a shirt when in town, in a shop, restaurant/bar/pub. You will see a lot of shirtless men around in the summer, if they are mowing their lawn, running, cycling, etc., and people with very little clothes even on women doing that, like shorts/skirt + skimpy top or just bikinis in some cases, even in common parks in town.
- On that note, there are also a few nude beaches in some beach areas, but don't worry, they are very clearly marked, and they aren't that common. Just thought I'll mention it, so you won't get shocked if you run into that. And also bear in mind, that you might even see people in their own yard or in the middle-of-nowhere summerhouses naked.. that can also happen.

Are there signs for private property in the woods/forest/other rural areas in Finland?
If I get inside such property by accident, what should I do to avoid getting shot and killed?
- Sometimes you do see private property signs (Yksityisalue = private property, Läpikulku kielletty = No trespassing), although they aren't very common. Generally forests and rural areas you can walk around pretty much everywhere. Again, common courtesy and good rule of thumb: do not walk into people's yard or near their houses, when you can clearly see that they are private homes and their yards/gardens. People appreciate their privacy and respect other people's privacy in return. No need to panic though, if you are taking a hike in the forest and suddenly run into someone's yard. Just walk to the other direction and go around it. (This may happen in some suburban areas with some forest or park areas around them, has happened to me many times.) It is very, very, very unlikely that you'd get shot and killed for that. Most people do not have guns at hand's reach. And even if some people might, they likely won't want to waste bullets just for some random stranger that looks like they are lost. :)
- Do keep in mind though, that especially in rural areas, people may have dogs running around free in their yards, so they'll let you know if you're getting near.

I'd suggest reading up on some websites that provide info about the Finnish culture on a general level (no hype sites for neonazis..) and go browse at pictures there, too. This forum has a few sites liked, check those out, so you'll get a more realistic image of this country and perhaps that'll ease your mind a bit about all of these things you've listed.
This really is a pretty safe, reasonable country with reasonable people. The more or less introverted nature of Finns, and them not talking to you if they don't know you, might actually work in your favour, considering the line of questions you've asked. Do note though that also the personal space here is a lot larger than in many other countries. An arm's length is close enough – people don't like others to stand too close to them. (Unless you're in a crowded bus, and there it is normal and they just grin and bear it because they have to.) People respect each others' privacy and space, and basically just mind their own business, often not even paying much attention to others around them.
Last edited by Kössi K on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joha mie sanoi, vaikken mittää virkkant.

Kössi K

Post by Kössi K » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:47 pm

And some more answers to the later questions in the OP's other post:

If I am non Finnish who lives without having permanent address, am I allowed to purchase public transport bus card for commuting?
- Can't comment on not having a permanent address bit, but you can buy a bus card regardless.

I will be going to work everyday and paying the ticket every time will be too expensive for me.
Will 500 euros be sufficient to purchase food from medium prices supermarket?
- 500 per week or month? Even both are doable for a single person, depending what you are buying. The bigger supermarkets (Prisma, K-Citymarket) and perhaps Lidl tend to be the cheapest ones to buy things, and smaller shops (even in the same chains as those large supermarkets) are often more expensive for certain items.

Are medicines and medical consumables expensive in Finland?
- Depends where you are comparing this to. Compared to the US, for example, then yes, prescription medicines are cheaper, even without the national Kela reimbursmenet for the prices, but depends on the products obviously. If live here long enough + with relevant residence permit status, you may also be able to get a Kela card, and that provides a lot of reductions in the prescription medicine prices. Consumables may be more expensive, compared to the US or UK, but again, depends on the product. You can search for some prices by googling the medicine name and 'apteekki' (apothecary/pharmacy).

I am asking these questions since I saw some food prices on-line and they are pretty high...
Is the Internet expensive in Finland? I read somewhere that it can be as up to 60 euros, which is extremely high price (my opinion).
- Depends on how much speed you want. You can get WiFi 4G pretty reasonably. Shop around online from different providers (there aren't that many): google elisa.fi, dna.fi, telia.fi. We pay about 20 eur/month for 100 Mbps, with no dl/ul limitations. If you don't need a high speed internet or only use it rarely, you can get really cheap options, too. You can easily also get a prepaid connection (both for phone, and also for 4G) that you pay in advance and per usage.

When invited to drink with coworkers/friends, how much should I drink so they don't get offended? I usually don't drink vodka, but rather other hard drinks not available in Finland. And I drink only the amount I want to and I know is safe not to get drunk.
- If you don't want to drink at all, don't drink. You're responsible for your own actions as an adult, right? Nobody's going to force shots of vodka or anything else down your throat. People don't get offended that easily here, we're not a bunch of sensitive wusses - live and let live.

Why is beer so expensive in Finland? Where I live we drink beer on a daily basis with lunch/dinner.....
- Taxes (VAT is 24% on most items) and import charges, and just because they're special snowflakes and charge whatever they want. Ok drinking alcohol with your lunch is another cultural thing: do NOT drink alcohol with your lunch, while you are working!! Getting even a little bit tipsy, may be a valid reason for getting fired. (Some fields are more tolerant but in general on the safe side, I'd say do not drink and work). The same applies doubly for using any other substances.

Are there a lot of gay guys in Finland? If yes (and if you are straight male), ow do you avoid them, especially in places they roam a lot?
- Do you really think that there are hoards of 'gay guys roaming a lot' somewhere?? Looking for straight guys to violate? :shock: :roll: Le sigh. For someone who is very concerned about racism and how the Finns might perceive you as a foreigner and react to you personally, you do have quite a reserved and frankly a close-minded view of other minorities. To be honest, it might raise the question, whether a western, modern country is the right place for you to begin with?
Anyway, I don't think there are any easily available or accurate statistics on the heterosexual vs. homosexual ratios in a country. I'd say no real difference compared to any western, free country where it isn't punishable by death. As for avoiding them? Don't go to a gay bar. And again, minding your own business applies here just as much to other people as you. I hope you don't run into a drunken gay racist group with stereotypically drunk and prostitute-like women in tow… :x

How do I 'join' a Union during my work time in Finland?
can you give me a list of Unions and how I can pay/join one for the time period I will be working in Finland?
– Ask your company where you'll be working. And google is also your friend, usually they also have info in English on their sites, so how about googling first before asking people to draft long lists for you.

If my boss pays my medical insurance in Finland, can I "transfer" it to my country, so that when I come back I can have normal medical services?
- How the hell would that work, even on a practical level? :shock: Of course you can't "transfer" it. Why would your boss in Finland even consider continuing paying for your medical insurance after you leave the country? You wouldn't be working for that boss anymore. Get serious.

If my boss pays my social insurance in Finland....[same as above].
- See above. Why would any country pay for your social insurance anywhere else, if it even were possible? Come on. :x

Can you tell me the official non-working holiday days in Finland for the private sector? When do you guys have holidays for Christmas, Easter, etc. etc.
- Google is your friend, again. Did you even consider trying googling first? I just put 'national holidays Finland' in google, and wow. Mind. Blown.

If I stay out at home/don't go out too often, will people who know me consider me crazy?
- Depends how you present yourself. How would those people find out how much you stay at home or go out, unless you needlessly update your status on some social media constantly. People here are people, too. Some like to stay home a lot, some go out all the time.

Lets say I find friend/s in Finland, how do I talk to them/behave in front of them to avoid accidentally insulting them on religious basis? I read that Finns are extremely religious.
- Simple: you do NOT talk about religion. Finns in general do not talk about their religious beliefs. At all.
The only exception may be some very religious individuals who like to preach, but those are pretty rare, and even they tend not to talk about religion much, in a normal conversation. It is considered a very personal subject.
Where did you "read that Finns are extremely religious"? For this, I'd certainly want some links, as this is utter bollocks, and compared to a lot of countries, couldn't be further from the truth. Are you sure you actually read info about Finns and Finland?

Can books in English language be found in Finnish libraries?
- Yes. Most larger libraries in towns also offer books in various other languages. Google 'kirjasto' (library) and the town name you're heading to, for info. Libraries' websites also offer great search functions of their stock.

Can I get arrested for downloading torrents from non-Finn torrent trackers (movies, music etc. etc.)? Can I avoid trouble by using VPN?
- Some people have been getting fines for downloading torrents, even here. Then again, streaming services are still legal here iirc, so it's easier to just watch things streamed. And some tv channels even provide some of their programs (documentaries, tv series, movies) viewable on their websites as streams, all completely legal. See google with 'yle areena' or 'ruutu.fi', for the bigger channels' sites.

Is it true that a lot of young Finns play a lot of video games, including women? Are Finns considered more or less outgoing than rest of Europeans?
- How is playing video games related to being outgoing or not? Or are those two unrelated questions?
- But yes, a lot of Finns of all ages, I might add, including women (and why not including women?!), play video games. Not much more, nor less than people in any other similar European country, or the States. There are strong gaming communities in many countries, and well, since a lot of games are more easily available for PC nowadays (vs. just on separate devices like PS3 and 4, Xbox), the gamer base is pretty large for all sorts of games. Many families have several computers or laptops or tablets, so even kids have access to games, with or without parental guidance.
- As for being outgoing, I'd say it again depends on the individual, whether he/she is more outgoing than the rest of Europeans.. and also depends on which Europeans you are comparing to. Also whether the individual lives in a larger city or a small village, and what age the person is. Too many variables to give a simple answer.
Last edited by Kössi K on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kössi K

Post by Kössi K » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 pm

Upphew wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:01 pm
Might be, or might be just really naive. Anyway fine, albeit long, start for entertaining thread :)
Wait till he hears about saunailta with workmates...
LMAO Oh man, that made my day! Thanks, Upphew! I laughed out loud here so hard, imagining that - especially after some of those questions. :D If there ever was a use for that smiley with tears pouring while laughing, this would be it.
I believe I just got two more years of life extension for this.

deepsudeep

Post by deepsudeep » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:32 am

Kössi K wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 pm
Upphew wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:01 pm
Might be, or might be just really naive. Anyway fine, albeit long, start for entertaining thread :)
Wait till he hears about saunailta with workmates...
LMAO Oh man, that made my day! Thanks, Upphew! I laughed out loud here so hard, imagining that - especially after some of those questions. :D If there ever was a use for that smiley with tears pouring while laughing, this would be it.
I believe I just got two more years of life extension for this.
Thanks for the detailed response! :) I don't know if he meant transferring insurance company/social security within the EU. I think even within the EU each country has separate health insurance/social security system so it is not like US.

Rasikko

Post by Rasikko » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Finns are still people.. all you need is basic human courtesy and politeness and you'll be fine. Just like anyone else around the world, you get out of line, they'll respond negatively.

Finnish women are without a doubt among the most beautiful women in the world, but you can't flirt with them in the way you're used to elsewhere.

As for english.. can't agree with most that has been said here.. english is not that much of liked language, especially as its been pushing finnish aside in many areas. Personally as a native speaking of english, it bothers me that people are promoting more of its use. However... it's not possible by any means to learn Finnish quickly, so it is ok to use english in this regard.