Moving to Finland from asia

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
flying_finn_43

Post by flying_finn_43 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:01 pm

I am an asian planning to pursue my Masters studies in Finland. I am 35 years old. I have a child (10 years old) with whom I am planning to move to Finland. The answer to the following questions will help me make a better decision:
- Would I have to pay a fee for my son to study in an English school in Finland? How about Finnish schools?
- As a student would I be covered by the government insurance ? How about my child?
- What are the job prospects in finland after graduation. I have about 12 years experience in middle management in IT domain
- What is the approximate income that would be needed to support myself and my son during the two year masters programme?

thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Moving to Finland from asia

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:47 am

flying_finn_43 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:01 pm
I am an asian planning to pursue my Masters studies in Finland. I am 35 years old. I have a child (10 years old) with whom I am planning to move to Finland. The answer to the following questions will help me make a better decision:
- Would I have to pay a fee for my son to study in an English school in Finland? How about Finnish schools?
Generally no fees, but some schools have entrance exams since they have more students wanting to come in than they will accept.
flying_finn_43 wrote:
- As a student would I be covered by the government insurance ? How about my child?
You will need your own insurance, see https://migri.fi/en/studying-in-finland
flying_finn_43 wrote:
- What are the job prospects in finland after graduation. I have about 12 years experience in middle management in IT domain
What is in demand in IT is people doing hands on work, management not so much. Even with experience, I'd be a bit surprised if you'd land a management(-only) job straight out of school.
flying_finn_43 wrote:
- What is the approximate income that would be needed to support myself and my son during the two year masters programme?
See the earlier link.

betelgeuse

Re: Moving to Finland from asia

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:28 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:47 am
flying_finn_43 wrote:
It's worth noting that the insurance is only for medicines. The municipality (or for students YTHS) covers the other parts.