What to do after arriving to Finland? TE-Toimisto? Maitraaatti? Kela? Bank? Phone Number?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Thall00

What to do after arriving to Finland? TE-Toimisto? Maitraaatti? Kela? Bank? Phone Number?

Post by Thall00 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:36 am

In a week from now, I'll be flying to Finland to join my family member.

- 4 Questions:

I am not quite sure, what to do first -- Registering myself at Maistraatti, or going to TE-toimisto (after taking an appointment ofc)? Or it doesn't matter which one to go to first.

Would it be smart to get a phone number before going to either of the two above?

is there any problem having a prepaid SIM card phone number when providing it to Maistraatti or TE-toimisto?

When do I get a bank account? Nordea or OP?

If you went through this process recently please tell me how did it go for you. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: What to do after arriving to Finland? TE-Toimisto? Maitraaatti? Kela? Bank? Phone Number?

Post by tavastia » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 am

Assuming you have a RP or you have registered with Migri as EU family member.
I am not quite sure, what to do first -- Registering myself at Maistraatti, or going to TE-toimisto (after taking an appointment ofc)? Or it doesn't matter which one to go to first.
Maistraatti 1st, you will have to move your domicile to the city where you live. Check their web site as not all the offices offer foreigners registration. You need to visit them even you got a personal number from other office.
Would it be smart to get a phone number before going to either of the two above?
It does not matter. It's not required to have a phone to register or for TE.
is there any problem having a prepaid SIM card phone number when providing it to Maistraatti or TE-toimisto?
Nop.
When do I get a bank account? Nordea or OP?
After you get the paper from Maistratti that you have moved then you can visit any bank you wish. This will take 1-2 weeks. Check also other banks like S-bank maybe are more friendly with foreigners.