I was forced to work illegally

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Husoe

Post by Husoe » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Hello,
I came to Finland from india 2 months ago. The company that hired me applied for the work permit after a week or so.
Migri is still processing my application and looks like it is going to take a while.

My application is type is the following: Residence permit on the basis of other employment

So I don't think it is hooked to the company, I can switch jobs and such if I need to. I might be wrong tho, please enlighten me on that matter.

anyways, lets get to the fun part.

The company that hired me, forced me to work for two months and they paid me something like 3.5 euros a hour.

if I didn't work, they threatened me to cancel my application, take away the house I was living in and since I don't have much money, I wouldn't be able to pay for food or my plane tickets for return.

The story isn't over yet.
the company fired me a week ago and didn't give me any reasons for it. We had few racists old workers so I think that might be the reason.
So, they basically told me to pack my stuff and leave the apartment in 15 days or so.

here is the part that I need some recommendations and ideas
----
My visa is still processing and I want my visa, that is why I worked for such a low wage. A week ago I got this email from enterfinland.fi

"The Employment and Economic Development Office has made a partial decision on your application. Your application is now in queue for processing at the Finnish Immigration Service"
---

Here is my question,
I want to report the company to the police or something so they will be punished by the government.
However, I do not want to risk my visa, I dont want my visa process to be rejected.

Any idea, what happens if I report them right now when my visa is still processing?
May I report them after my visa gets processed and keep my visa?

I have enough proofs, documentation, emails, chat histories, sound recordings, and everything to prove that I was forced to work illegally...

So, please help me out :(

My other idea is to apply as an asylum seeker and try to get a visa that way...

I don't know what to do, please give me your ideas.

thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: I was forced to work illegally

Post by rinso » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 am

If the conditions for your residence permit change, it can be revoked. So drawing attention to the situation will surely result in a negative decision.
But keeping quiet is no guarantee for success. Since your ex-employer applied for you it is possible they will be contacted again. And then it is over and out. Reporting it after you got your RP will probably also result in revoking the permit.
As I see it your between a rock and a hard place. No money, no RP and no right to work. Maybe the best thing to do is try to get back home.
India is a save country. It is 100% certain you will not succeed that way.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am

Contact the police about this please. This people cannot be allowed to get away with exploiting vulnerable people like this. They would likely be forced to pay you properly for your time. There was a case like this recently with berry pickers from Thailand.

You may get a negative decision either way. They will contact your former employer and ask for pay history, which they won’t want to give. You can appeal your decision and also stay here during your appeals. So if you get a denial, I would contact a lawyer to help you. If you get another job, you can use that to get your permit. I suggest to start searching for work if you aren’t already doing so.

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:37 am

Now I rethink it, there might be more problems.
€ 3,50/hr for a 36 hour week is to low to reach the threshold for a residence permit. https://migri.fi/en/working-in-finland/ ... equirement
If your ex-employer filled in the real amount, the application will be denied. If he filled in a much higher amount it is fraud and he is in big trouble.
Also since you worked illegally, he probably has not payed taxes for you and I think, neither have you. Really big trouble for him.

I think in these situations you cannot win and expect a residence permit. If you keep silent and they find out, you might even be considered in on the scam. So, like heretostay suggested, it is maybe best to report it to the police and have a chance to claim some extra money.
Good luck.

Husoe

Post by Husoe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:01 pm

My visa got approved today! They will send my card in a week or two.

rinso wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:37 am
Now I rethink it, there might be more problems.
€ 3,50/hr for a 36 hour week is to low to reach the threshold for a residence permit. https://migri.fi/en/working-in-finland/ ... equirement
The thing is, the salary we agreed was 22E per hour, not 3e.
They offered/forced me to work for 3 while waiting for my visa. They told me that, they will pay 22e whenever I get my visa.
However, they fired me before my visa gets approved.

Makes me think... Sometimes I feel like they just applied for me for cheap labor and told me to go away once the visa was about to be finalized.

Husoe

Post by Husoe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:02 pm

my visa got approved today... Type A, for 1 year.
Now, I have no idea what to do
Cory wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:03 pm
:beamer:

I apologise if this seems harsh but this situation is illegal on so many levels.
If you do not report this company/individual, you are part of the problem.
I do not expect there will be a positive decision for you to stay, nor should there be if you are just "trying to stay anyway you can".
As someone already mentioned, India is a safe country for its citizens, unlike places like Afghanistan and Syria.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Husoe wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 pm
if I didn't work, they threatened me to cancel my application, take away the house I was living in and since I don't have much money, I wouldn't be able to pay for food or my plane tickets for return.
Finnish government will pay your tickets home so you should not worry about that as a risk for reporting the employer.

Husoe

Post by Husoe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:31 pm

But now, I have a type A visa for one year :ohno:
betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:39 pm
Husoe wrote:
Finnish government will pay your tickets home so you should not worry about that as a risk for reporting the employer.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Husoe wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:02 pm
my visa got approved today... Type A, for 1 year.
Now, I have no idea what to do
Join the union for your field and consult their lawyer.

Husoe

Post by Husoe » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:36 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:31 pm
Husoe wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:02 pm
Join the union for your field and consult their lawyer.

I do not think my field has a union but that is a good idea. Something to look and search for

thanks for the recommendation

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:20 am

Husoe wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:36 am
I do not think my field has a union but that is a good idea. Something to look and search for
It would be surprising in highly unionized Finland. There is this one also:

https://en.ytk-yhdistys.fi

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Husoe wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:31 pm
Visa????

I think you are talking about Resident Permit!

Visa is intended only for visit at Finland. Shortly. Max 90 days.

Husoe

Post by Husoe » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:47 pm

jarikaija wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:03 pm
Husoe wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:31 pm
Visa????

I think you are talking about Resident Permit!

Visa is intended only for visit at Finland. Shortly. Max 90 days.
Yes, you are right! I got a RP for 1 year, TYPE A

Aloosh

Post by Aloosh » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Husoe wrote:
Hello,
I came to Finland from india 2 months ago. The company that hired me applied for the work permit after a week or so.
Migri is still processing my application and looks like it is going to take a while.

My application is type is the following: Residence permit on the basis of other employment

So I don't think it is hooked to the company, I can switch jobs and such if I need to. I might be wrong tho, please enlighten me on that matter.

anyways, lets get to the fun part.

The company that hired me, forced me to work for two months and they paid me something like 3.5 euros a hour.

The story isn't over yet.
the company fired me a week ago and didn't give me any reasons for it. We had few racists old workers so I think that might be the reason.
So, they basically told me to pack my stuff and leave the apartment in 15 days or so.

here is the part that I need some recommendations and ideas
----
My visa is still processing and I want my visa, that is why I worked for such a low wage. A week ago I got this email from enterfinland.fi

"The Employment and Economic Development Office has made a partial decision on your application. Your application is now in queue for processing at the Finnish Immigration Service"
---

Here is my question,
I want to report the company to the police or something so they will be punished by the government.
However, I do not want to risk my visa, I dont want my visa process to be rejected.

Any idea, what happens if I report them right now when my visa is still processing?
May I report them after my visa gets processed and keep my visa?

I have enough proofs, documentation, emails, chat histories, sound recordings, and everything to prove that I was forced to work illegally...

So, please help me out :(

I don't know what to do, please give me your ideas.

thanks!
You probably knew from the beginning about your job terms and you needed a Finnish Resident permit, so it it was a risk you took from day 1. Unfortunately there is nothing more you can do. Better to negotiate your terms with your employer otherwise it will be a long trip back home.

Husoe

Post by Husoe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:15 pm

that is an assumption, but not a very good one