Return/one way flights

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Kuja

Return/one way flights

Post by Kuja » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:57 pm

Hi I'm moving to Finland soon to be with my boyfriend.
I have noticed that return flights are WAY cheaper than one way flights (as i travel from manchester).
Just wonder if its possible to buy a return ticket and somehow cancel it or get out of going back???? Or is there some law about returning or something? :? :ohno:

Also does being Engaged help you to get residence permit?
And what happens if you don't apply for residence permit within 3 months?
I mean how do you live together 2 years if you only have 3 months to apply for residence permit and it may get refused??????????

Return/one way flights

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:06 pm

you can buy 1 way flights to finland with sas using the snowflake flights, but you have to book each flight individually, eg london stockholm, 1 flight, stockholm helsinki next flight. cheers

Jussi

pm me if you need any help, i am in the process of moving to oulu with my wife.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:08 pm

Yes it is such a way with airlines. Just buy the reurn and forget.

Residence for EU is different for residence outside EU. UK citizens "declare" - not apply.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Gibé

Re: Return/one way flights

Post by Gibé » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:14 pm

Kuja wrote:Hi I'm moving to Finland soon to be with my boyfriend.
I have noticed that return flights are WAY cheaper than one way flights (as i travel from manchester).
Just wonder if its possible to buy a return ticket and somehow cancel it or get out of going back???? Or is there some law about returning or something? :? :ohno:
Just buy a return flight and do not use the return! The company will not come at your place to force you to board... I know that's !"#¤%, but you do not have many other choices. I know several people who are used to buy return flights and use them as one way just because it's cheaper.
Kuja wrote:Also does being Engaged help you to get residence permit?
And what happens if you don't apply for residence permit within 3 months?
I mean how do you live together 2 years if you only have 3 months to apply for residence permit and it may get refused??????????
You live in Manchester, but are you British? if yes, you may not have any difficulty to get your residence permit since you come from an EU country. You will need sthg like half an hour to get registered Maistraati offices... if you do not have a job, provide some proofs that your fiance has a position (like pay slips). But I guess he may know even better than I, and if not, he can easily get the info from the immigration services!

/Gibé

Kuja

Post by Kuja » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:56 am

ok
thank you all for your help, much appreciated :) :D

karo

Post by karo » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:30 pm

Maybe you've already happily moved to Finland and got it all sorted out, but if not then here's some helpful info:
http://www.uvi.fi/netcomm/content.asp?path=8,2473

If you are a British citizen, you're an EU citizen, and you won't even need to apply for a residence permit per se, you can just register with 'maistraatti' (a registration office). Easy. Here's a couple more links:
http://www.maistraatti.fi/en/index.html
http://www.kela.fi/in/internet/english. ... 01091511EH

Kuja

Post by Kuja » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:39 pm

Karo, Thanks for those internet links, they helped a lot.
Yea, I have now got a job. I will be living in Kuopio while my boyfriend is in army.
I FINALLY get to move there 12th August :P :lol: :D

ferkel

Post by ferkel » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:18 am

If you are moving for some time then maybe it is not worth it, but tallinn to manchester with estonian air seems to be sometimes very cheap. Dont remember the website so you'll need to google it. I think they may have singles too.. then from there to HKI is v cheap.

As for returns... the airline kind of advise you cant just use the outgoing part, but actually they do nothing if you dont use the return part. You can even call them in advance and say you changed your plans and wont make the return.

Sometimes starting and ending in the UK is cheaper (prehaps not MAN-HEL, but on some flights) and in that case it can be worth timing return portions for when you may want to go back - although then you postpone the problem.

Kuja

Post by Kuja » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:20 am

Ok thanks for all your help. Im just getting return to Kuopio with British Airways with Finnair. its the cheapest i can find. i just wont return :P

But who knows-maybe ill see some guys in Kuopio

:roll: