Moving to Helsinki

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sdedalus

Moving to Helsinki

Post by sdedalus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:29 pm

There is a possibility of us moving to Helsinki towards the end of Sept. for work. What is the aveage cost of a one bedroom apt? Also, it is simple to get an Internet connection at home, Broadband, WIFI? Thanks. [/quote]

Moving to Helsinki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sim

Post by sim » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:40 pm

Average cost for 1 bedroom apartment is probably around 550-750eur/month.

Broadband is very easy to get. If you have cable, you have instant broadband through the cable company - otherwise it's DSL (takes a few weeks) or in newer apartment buildings fixed broadband through Ethernet-to-unit. Prices are from 20eur/month for 256kbps to 55eur/month for full-rate 12Mbps.

michelle_Y_19

Post by michelle_Y_19 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:11 pm

hiya! instead of opening a new topic i thought i might ask my question in this one, if thats ok? well basically my friend and i are planning on moving to Helsinki in the next couple of years (so not yet lol). we are coming over next August for two weeks to see what Helsinki is like and if we still like it then we will still be planning to move there. all i want to know basically is how to go about it. i have no idea how to move abroad and any tips will help me very much! thankyou! :D

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:49 pm

michelle-Y-19

Why Helsinki ? Why not Stockholm, Oslo or Copenhagen?

Just curious.

craiced

Post by craiced » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:54 am

Also if you want advice you will need to say if you are moving from an EU country or not, what you are planning to do here and if I should be answering these type of questions after a questionable amount of beers and spirits. Answers on a post card
Oh, God, God, God! What on earth was I drinking last night? My head feels like there's a Frenchman living in it.

michelle_Y_19

Post by michelle_Y_19 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:08 pm

kalmisto wrote:michelle-Y-19
Why Helsinki ? Why not Stockholm, Oslo or Copenhagen?
Just curious.
well to cut a long story short my friend and i have always disliked living in Manchester. for me theres just something i have always disliked about it. so i have been thinking for a while about moving abroad and my friend soon caught up to me. neither me nor my friend dont want to live in Spain, Germany or anywhere like that because we still want to be quite close to home, but didnt fancy Ireland either (that might sound weird to you lol). some of my friends suggested Scandanavia and at first i did like the look of Sweden... i still do! it sounds like a beautiful place! but then Helsinki caught my eye... and for some reason ive stuck with it ever since and my friend likes it also. so we are coming over for a holiday to Helsinki next year to see what it's like... but im sure we will enjoy it! :lol:
craiced wrote:Also if you want advice you will need to say if you are moving from an EU country or not, what you are planning to do here and if I should be answering these type of questions after a questionable amount of beers and spirits. Answers on a post card
I am from Manchester, which is in England so yes i am from an EU country. once i get to Helsinki i would like to work and proberbly soon carry on learning about media (which is what im doing at college at the moment). i would also like to learn more about the Finnish language and culture.

karo

Post by karo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:07 pm

michelle_Y_19 wrote: I am from Manchester, which is in England so yes i am from an EU country. once i get to Helsinki i would like to work and proberbly soon carry on learning about media (which is what im doing at college at the moment). i would also like to learn more about the Finnish language and culture.
Michelle, here are some links for ya, maybe these will be helpful:
UVI (Ulkomaalaisvirasto) - The Directorate of Immigration (together with the police, deals with residence permits, etc.):
http://www.uvi.fi/netcomm/Default.asp?language=EN
(since you're an EU citizen, the whole process of moving to Finland is easy and straightforward for you, but maybe you'll find something useful on UVI's site anyway)
City of Helsinki:
http://www.hel.fi/english/index.html
University of Art and Design Helsinki (perhaps a good place to learn about media, especially if you're interested in web, multimedia, film...):
http://www.uiah.fi/frontpage.asp?path=1866
Virtual Finland web portal (lots of info and links here!):
http://www.finland.fi

michelle_Y_19

Post by michelle_Y_19 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:45 pm

thankyou for all them links Karo! thats a really big help to me! :lol: thanks!!

karo

Post by karo » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:24 pm

You're welcome! :D Glad I could help.