EU-Citizen or International Student ?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Peter 123

Post by Peter 123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Hello,

Sorry, a bit `off Finnish topic`.
Persuivant wrote on another thread:

````Well UK isn't exactly "cheap" and there`s the tuotion fees. Theres a snag there with "EU resident" as if you enroll as your last residence in Australia, they might like the non-EU fees. ````

I am EU-national, have lived in Asia for many years. Am thinking to study in uk, Scotland, Finland or Holland.

The UK-universities do not give me a clear answer regarding the point, that I have to have lived in my country of origin for 3 years before univ. study, so that I am an EU-national for the tuition fee.

Has somebody experience with this ?

Netherlands did not answer my questions yet regarding my status.

Thank you !!!

peter

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

GermanInHelsinki

Re: EU-Citizen or International Student ?

Post by GermanInHelsinki » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:15 am

By asking about tuition fees in Finland you are of course demonstrating that you are either too lazy or too stupid for finding even the most basic information yourself.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:35 am

GermanInHelsinki wrote:By asking about tuition fees in Finland you are of course demonstrating that you are either too lazy or too stupid for finding even the most basic information yourself.
So what does that demonstrate about you when the OP is not asking about tuition fees in Finland but instead is asking about them in UK (and does acknowledge the off topic nature right at the start)?

inkku

Post by inkku » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:26 am

Peter 123 wrote: I am EU-national, have lived in Asia for many years. Am thinking to study in uk, Scotland, Finland or Holland.

The UK-universities do not give me a clear answer regarding the point, that I have to have lived in my country of origin for 3 years before univ. study, so that I am an EU-national for the tuition fee.

Has somebody experience with this ?
peter
I have. I lived outside of Europe many years apart from the last year before I applied for a UK University. They charged me the EU rate, there was no discussion about it. I would say, to safeguard come back to Europe before the studies (do not apply from abroad, at least in such as away that it shows in your papers).

Achabs 161

Post by Achabs 161 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:09 pm

Either you are a EU or any national You do have to pay full tuition fee to study in UK which is in the range of £9000 (Good Universities) . You might not have to pay while studying but afterwards they will suck it out of your income when you start doing a job no matter where you are . For further info go to interested universities websites , you will find the detail info or call UCAS .

Peter 123

Post by Peter 123 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:29 am

inkku, thank you, this advice is helpful.

Achabs 161, this cannot be because there are different fees for EU-nationals and international students.

```but afterwards they will suck it out of your income when you start doing a job no matter where you are```:

I never heard that.
Anybody has experience with having to refund fees once one has graduated and has a job (apart from paying back a loan of course)?

I rather suppose that one cannot study in the first place when payments are not done in time.

Peter

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Oh jebus on a stick!
Heres a pretty comprehensive FAQ off one uni:
http://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/money/feestatus/

Heres comparisons & the student aid(loans) rules:
http://m.unistats.ac.uk/find-out-more/cost/
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview

The reason I was saying go read the rules is I remembered its got to do with residence rather than passport, with other than UK passports:
EU nationals who have lived in the UK for at least the 3 year period immediately before (and including) the 1st September before the course starts

EU nationals, and certain family members of EU nationals, who have lived in the European Economic Area for at least the 3 year period immediately before (and including) the 1st September before the course starts
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Peter 123

Post by Peter 123 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:25 am

Pursuivant, thank you, I am clear about UK now and have to turn to the Netherlands with the same query.

I also learnt what `jebus on a stick` means :lol: and find the work you do here on the forum impressive.

Peter in the Himalayas, ....................himself caregiver and counseller for 130 people

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:56 pm

I also learnt what `jebus on a stick` means
You don't watch "Dexter" then..

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:57 pm

The UK universities are very willing to take foreign students - they pay well :twisted:

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Oh jebus on a stick!
Heres a pretty comprehensive FAQ off one uni:
http://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/money/feestatus/

Heres comparisons & the student aid(loans) rules:
http://m.unistats.ac.uk/find-out-more/cost/
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview

The reason I was saying go read the rules is I remembered its got to do with residence rather than passport, with other than UK passports:
EU nationals who have lived in the UK for at least the 3 year period immediately before (and including) the 1st September before the course starts

EU nationals, and certain family members of EU nationals, who have lived in the European Economic Area for at least the 3 year period immediately before (and including) the 1st September before the course starts
As I said, they don't necessarily apply this if you clearly are long term EU citizen.

Peter 123

Post by Peter 123 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:02 pm

I found `Dexter` horrible and am a fan of the first seasons of `Homeland`.

Peter