International Student Accommodation

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
sacrifice303

Post by sacrifice303 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:39 pm

It's been very overwhelming period since I graduated from high school and now I'm looking to study in Finland. As always, deciding leaving your home country isn't easy decision and it's totally hard to convince your parents. Eventually, I came here and I decided to ask some questions. Though I have been very busy looking for a destination to study. Even though my budget is suffering from lack of cash, I'm willing to continue my studies. Some of you may suggest that Europe is very expensive place to be in as my budget is suffering and begging for cash. That's true but where on earth things are cheap ? Nowhere. Simple as that, I'm going to Finland, cheap or expensive don't want to discuss money anymore. Anyway, all what I wanted to ask is about cheap accommodation yea (cheap) in Finland !! Even though, it's hard to find cheap rents in Finland, but I want to explore the different options of accommodation with you until I reach the lowest prices. Of course, I don't want to live in a fancy apartment with 500 rooms. All what I need is just a room. So my question how could I find a cheap place to accommodate in Finland to study ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: International Student Accommodation

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:54 am

sacrifice303 wrote:All what I need is just a room. So my question how could I find a cheap place to accommodate in Finland to study ?
Define cheap. There's student housing where you have your own room and share everything else (solu).

http://www.hoas.fi/www/hoaswww.nsf/sp?o ... ommoptions

sacrifice303

Post by sacrifice303 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:57 pm

What is the minimum price of one room for one student ? I found one which costs 202 euro per month, reasonable price ?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:45 am

Na'a! You cannot disregard cash. If you don't have ~7000 EUR for your first year, then forget about coming here. You need to show that amount to even get a residence permit to be here.

Cheap accommodation depends on the city. Outside Helsinki, in the suburbs of Turku, and in most places in Vaasa, you can find a room in a shared student apartment for less than 300 EUR. Different places, different prices.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

sacrifice303

Post by sacrifice303 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:12 pm

Where are the most cheapest places ? Because a room costs around 250 euro in a shared apartment this is way high. Though, I'm not looking to live in a city.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:21 pm

How much are you expecting to pay? What's your maximum?
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

sacrifice303

Post by sacrifice303 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:48 pm

adnan wrote:How much are you expecting to pay? What's your maximum?
Around 200 euros or less if possible ! I'm interested in knowing you indeed if you have Skype we can talk there just send me a private message if you don't mind. Thnx.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Around 200 euros or less
That's not a realistic figure for a room in a city.
If you go rural you have to add the extra transport costs (which makes it even more expensive)

sacrifice303

Post by sacrifice303 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:04 pm

rinso wrote:
Around 200 euros or less
That's not a realistic figure for a room in a city.
If you go rural you have to add the extra transport costs (which makes it even more expensive)
I've seen a room at shared apartment which costs 202 euros per month, apparently it's in a good condition, but I have no idea as I'm young and never been in Finland before. That's why I ask so many question in this forum. But perhaps I can find one in a rural area near the city ? My membership in students union may decrease the cots of transportation somehow.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Simple and clear: 200 EUR or less will very likely not happen. Account for 250 at least and prepare your financial situation for that.

sacrifice303

Post by sacrifice303 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:06 pm

adnan wrote:Simple and clear: 200 EUR or less will very likely not happen. Account for 250 at least and prepare your financial situation for that.
Are laundry and electricity included within the rent ?

Rip

Post by Rip » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:39 pm

sacrifice303 wrote: Are laundry and electricity included within the rent ?
If you use a common laundry room, yes, you will most likely pay for every time. Electricity with HOAS shared apartments must be included in the rent (there isn't meter for each room, and consumption is largely in the shared area anyway).

sacrifice303

Post by sacrifice303 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:02 pm

you can't change things by wishing
Reasonable argument for those who want to live in reality. I do agree and so bad luck and poor guy.