What's the area in IT is the best to study for employment?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
4kclarity

Post by 4kclarity » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:59 pm

Às title suggests, I am looking at areas inside IT that is promising for future employment. One of my plans is to study IT so that I can get job. My background is I am 39 year old dude, naturalized Finn, and been unemployed for years. I have a business degree.

thanks.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: What's the area in IT is the best to study for employmen

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:25 pm

I'd suggest looking at what Haaga-Helia offers. They have "Business Information Technology" and used at least to have for example have a SAP lab and offer courses in ABAP coding even. The BI path would work, as grunt coding can be easily outsourced, but design and client interfacing not so much.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

leisl

Post by leisl » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:26 pm

If you want to know which areas will get you a job, start by looking at what's in the job ads.

By the way, I would personally skip long formal education and just get the skills you need (which might include individual courses by all means). But you already have a masters in Business and this is about as close/relevant to IT as you can get without adding another bachelor. IT is a bit different; while "some" employers want to see paper qualifications, the vast majority are more interested in merely finding people who can do the tasks they need.

Underlined because it is so important. Do not waste your time in doing an entire bachelor. Start today, if you don't have them already find a website and teach yourself basic HTML, then get a hold on writing JavaScript, maybe PHP and understanding how to make it dance with a SQL database. The thing with these basics is less about using them in the workplace and more about getting your head around the concepts. Once you grok them you can go onto learning specific niches and perhaps doing courses at different schools.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:47 am

Well, for a self-help course Big Data is the buzzword "right now", MapR offers a good bunch of free online modules on hadoop, pig and hive coding, you can either download or then use their cloud based lab environment, and the certifications don't cost a fortune either.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:00 pm

A huge advantage of doing BITE at a place like HH is the connections with working life and the networking. A lot of the students on those programmes are already combining work and study either through their own start-ups (there's a StartUp school in Pasila) or through companies that work closely with the university. Work placements are part of the degree and HH works with a long list of companies offering internships or looking for students who can do ad hoc projects (which could even be part of the final year thesis). Much of the coursework is group work so networking just happens, and I don't think your age will be a problem, especially if you opt for the evening programme where the average age is generally a bit older.

If you've already been unemployed for a few years, finding work without some kind of training and or relevant experience is just not going to happen. Unlike many countries in Europe, life isn't quite so linear in Finland and many people combine working life with study. If you got your first degree in your early 20s, it would probably be about time to get another one or try for a Masters.

As for the "area" - you'll find that out once you start the programme. The curricula at HH change every few years and are designed based on close collaboration with private and public stakeholders.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 pm

Also, I was like 28 when I went to HH, I was a "day student" but they had a "evening students" that were even in their 50's, upgrading the old college degrees to polytechnic/uni bachelors - so theres no reason to be "shy"... Besides which some of the teachers doing C or SQL courses were in the teams inventing it all in the 70's...

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:59 pm

roger_roger wrote:If you want to stick where the money is then Data Mining is the king at the moment, there are very few professionals and market is starving for talents.
Can confirm this. A customer of mine has two data science people (mining, analysis, etc.), and I got the chance to talk to one of them. He's been doing this for 4-5 years. He makes 90k in Finland.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:43 pm

Right now you should get into node.js, docker and nosql.