Research :A Typical School Day

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Stellina

Thank You

Post by Stellina » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:43 pm

Thank you very much for the information, it is helpful.

Thank You

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

callidus

Re: Research :A Typical School Day

Post by callidus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:34 am

Hi, I am a student from the infamous United States of America. As you know my country's educational status and test scores prove to be very low in global standards. I have a reseach project that I am conducting with a group of friends who have a passion for improving the welfare of this world and our country and we believe that education in the number on priority for producing the key advancments and innovations. Undergoing some internet research I found that Finland, South Korea, and Honk Kong are among the top three for education in the word, proving to be superior in Reading, Math, and Science, as well I found this site with students from these countries and I found that it might be useful to ask some questions to the students of these nations so that I may learn and understand how theses nations have become successful in education. Through the knowledge I gain, I hope to push my government and local school district for advancements in education. The questions are below and please include your nationality.

Q1: How many classes do you take each day? (pleases include a typical day at school)
Q2: How many hours are spent per day in school?
Q3: How much does your country or school focus on education and what priority ranking is it?
Q3: Are there any innovations in education that your nation has done for the improvement of education?

callidus

Post by callidus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:36 am

Hi, I am a student from the infamous United States of America. As you know my country's educational status and test scores prove to be very low in global standards. I have a reseach project that I am conducting with a group of friends who have a passion for improving the welfare of this world and our country and we believe that education in the number on priority for producing the key advancments and innovations. Undergoing some internet research I found that Finland, South Korea, and Honk Kong are among the top three for education in the word, proving to be superior in Reading, Math, and Science, as well I found this site with students from these countries and I found that it might be useful to ask some questions to the students of these nations so that I may learn and understand how theses nations have become successful in education. Through the knowledge I gain, I hope to push my government and local school district for advancements in education. The questions are below and please include your nationality.

Q1: How many classes do you take each day? (pleases include a typical day at school)
Q3: How much does your country or school focus on education and what priority ranking is it?
Q3: Are there any innovations in education that your nation has done for the improvement of education?

callidus

Post by callidus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:41 am

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:40 am

callidus wrote:Q1: How many classes do you take each day? (pleases include a typical day at school)
You didn't mention what age group you are targeting with your questions.

http://www.oph.fi/english/education
http://www.oph.fi/download/124278_educa ... inland.pdf
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

zam

Post by zam » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:42 pm

callidus wrote:The questions are below and please include your nationality.
I guess Q3 and 4 are beyond most school goers' comprehension and should be directed to the governing bodies - in case of Finland the National Board of Education and the Ministry of Education. Education is one of the key priorities of the State of Finland for advancing education, research, development and innovation and thus the competitiveness of the society.
These materials might be of interest for you:
http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/education/eur ... _FI_EN.pdf
http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/education/eur ... /FI_EN.pdf
http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/education/eur ... _FI_EN.pdf

You can find similar descriptions of 31 European countries in Eurydice's Eurybase at http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/education/eur ... ase_en.php

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:01 pm

callidus wrote:Q1: How many classes do you take each day? (pleases include a typical day at school)
Good God, it's worse than we thought.

It's less about the kind of classes and more about the mix of those in the classroom.

Finnish classrooms have 95-98% Finns, in the US the cross section of backgrounds, languages, cultures present in the classroom is going to be a bit more varied. That is the biggest factor.

Well that and the fact that a lot of Septics are thick.... only kidding.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:49 pm

sinikala wrote:
Finnish classrooms have 95-98% Finns, in the US the cross section of backgrounds, languages, cultures present in the classroom is going to be a bit more varied. That is the biggest factor.
On average sure, that's probably about true. But then I have an above average number of legs....

There are several (big) schools in the Helsinki region with more than 30% non-Finns. My youngest son guestimates that around 50% of the 22 kids in his class are non-Finns.

And as far as I know, there is no published correlation between ethnicity and grade point average in Finland.

And as for PISA, ethnicity is factored out using some convoluted algorithm which I don't have time to track down now.

And anyway, you could equally argue that non-American pupils in US schools should do better (after all, it's all in English) than non-Finns in Finland where the language is such a huge barrier.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:02 am

penelope wrote:And anyway, you could equally argue that non-American pupils in US schools should do better (after all, it's all in English) than non-Finns in Finland where the language is such a huge barrier.
Only if every student in US school knows English fluently. Which is nowhere near true.

As for Helsinki schools, most of population (and students actually) are not in Helsinki region.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Tiwaz wrote:
As for Helsinki schools, most of population (and students actually) are not in Helsinki region.
You lost me. :?

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:35 pm

penelope wrote:
Tiwaz wrote:
You lost me. :?
Your example related to your son's school in the HEV area. That covers under 20% of the population of Finland.

For most school classes in Finland, the %age of foreigners will be closer to 0 than 50.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 pm

No foreigners outside the Helsinki region. Didn't know that.

But I'm pretty sure student numbers are FALLING outside HEV. Schools are merging/closing down all over the country.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:52 am

penelope wrote:No foreigners outside the Helsinki region. Didn't know that.
How large percentage of foreigners in Finland you think live outside HKI region?
HEV contains vast majority of foreigners, but forms only small minority of population of Finland.
But I'm pretty sure student numbers are FALLING outside HEV. Schools are merging/closing down all over the country.
No, majority of Finns still live outside HEV. Meanwhile HEV region contains around half of foreigners. Thus, the school in which your son is is statistical anomaly when looked at Finland as whole instead of only HEV region.

There is Finland outside Kehä III.

To put it simply... Out of 1000 Finns, 200 live in HEV. Out of 100 foreigners, 50 live in HEV.

So if they all are in same school (for simplicity we only have two schools, one for HEV and one for rest of country... Talk about long distance to go to school), in HEV region we have school with 200 Finns and 50 foregierns. One in five students is foreigner.

Outside, numbers are 800 Finns and 50 foreigners... About one in fifteen or so.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:54 am

penelope wrote:No foreigners outside the Helsinki region. Didn't know that.
I wrote:the %age of foreigners will be closer to 0 than 50.

Hpslm

Post by Hpslm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:58 pm

callidus wrote:... Through the knowledge I gain, I hope to push my government and local school district for advancements in education. The questions are below and please include your nationality.

I don't mean this is as a mean (ha) statement but this does sound a bit like you wanting us to do your homework/research for you. Getting random answers to those 4 questions will not in any way help gathering any actually knowledge by which reach those goals you state. Why won't you just reach out to approriate government agencies for the basic info and/or read studies done about the education system.

Given, for example, Finland's rather consistent streak of placing at the top I am sure the world is full of articles about reasons for that. I mean, surely, the approriate source about some innovation in Education that has been done in Finland is not "We talked with some guy at a local bar who said that this has been an innovation in education in Finland".