Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Post Reply
salmari.hölmö
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Italy

Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Post by salmari.hölmö » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:37 am

Hi people :D

I would like to know how r the entrance examination for those technology carreers... What kind of maths stuff are in those examinations :? Im really kinda afraid of how they would be, I would be so down if i have to travel for an examination and then i fail it :( i dont wannna that happen. So I want to have a well preparation before doing the examination.

Please please please! Somebody give me advises! :ohno:

Thanks


Image

Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

Upphew
Posts: 10202
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Post by Upphew » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:53 am

First advice: learn to search! Really! If you know how to get information, your studies will be much easier. For help with that: http://www.searchlores.org/

Second: http://www.teli.stadia.fi/Info/Valintakoeteht/English/ some earlier exams. Matematiikka = maths.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


salmari.hölmö
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Post by salmari.hölmö » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Upphew wrote:First advice: learn to search! Really! If you know how to get information, your studies will be much easier. For help with that: http://www.searchlores.org/

Second: http://www.teli.stadia.fi/Info/Valintakoeteht/English/ some earlier exams. Matematiikka = maths.
HI, thanks. The second link doesnt work :(
Image


wildclaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:59 pm

Re: Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Post by wildclaw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:01 pm

salmari.hölmö wrote:Hi people :D

I would like to know how r the entrance examination for those technology carreers... What kind of maths stuff are in those examinations :? Im really kinda afraid of how they would be, I would be so down if i have to travel for an examination and then i fail it :( i dont wannna that happen. So I want to have a well preparation before doing the examination.

Please please please! Somebody give me advises! :ohno:

Thanks
Finnish universities of technology don't have any undergraduate programme in english, only master and research programmes, so you need at least a Bachelor to get in there.

Polytechnics do have some. The entrance exam might vary a lot from one school to another, but it's european high school programme anyhow, so if you have followed the scientific section, long maths programme, or I don't know how is the system in your country, you should be able to do it.

I took the exams of Evtek (or Metropolia now) and Arcada and got both with good grades, it's not difficult if you have done well in high school. I have made a post about it in this topic : viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30402

All I can say is work your high school programme (it's more or less the same in all EU countries) in maths, physics, chemistry and maybe engineering sciences if you have done some, and you'll get in without any problems.


salmari.hölmö
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Post by salmari.hölmö » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:36 pm

wildclaw wrote:
salmari.hölmö wrote:Hi people :D

I would like to know how r the entrance examination for those technology carreers... What kind of maths stuff are in those examinations :? Im really kinda afraid of how they would be, I would be so down if i have to travel for an examination and then i fail it :( i dont wannna that happen. So I want to have a well preparation before doing the examination.

Please please please! Somebody give me advises! :ohno:

Thanks
Finnish universities of technology don't have any undergraduate programme in english, only master and research programmes, so you need at least a Bachelor to get in there.
What about metropolia? They have complete bachelor undergraduate programmes in english
Image


User avatar
Pursuivant
Posts: 15094
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Bath & Wells

Re: Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:41 am

its a polytechnic... UAS...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."


sammy
Posts: 7313
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:38 pm

Re: Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Post by sammy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:55 am

Since the next question will be "what's the difference":

Polytechnics / Universities of Applied Sciences

Universities

You should note that a Bachelor's degree from a polytechnic (UAS) does not necessarily make you eligible to apply to university Master's programmes in Finland... you might need to do some bridging studies... it depends.

The Polytechnics (UAS) offer a number of "polytechnic" Master's programmes as well - however they are rather targeted to those who already are in the working life (you need a Bachelor's followed by at least three years of work experience to apply for the UAS Master's programmes)


salmari.hölmö
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Post by salmari.hölmö » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup: and well... what can i do?... If those are the only computer since english programmes I can find there... :)
Image


wildclaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:59 pm

Re: Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Post by wildclaw » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:27 pm

sammy wrote:You should note that a Bachelor's degree from a polytechnic (UAS) does not necessarily make you eligible to apply to university Master's programmes in Finland... you might need to do some bridging studies... it depends.
True. For exemple TKK won't take any polytechnic students in the Physics & Maths degree programme. Also remember that priority will be given to the university students who have completed the bachelor in the relative field to the master programme. Then if there are some places left, they might take foreign and polytechnic students ...

So if you want to go till the master degree what you can do is either :

- Learn finnish fluently, and try the bachelor entrance exams of the universities of technology (http://www.dia.fi for more infos). They might require you to pass a finnish language test, I don't know about that. I think there are some samples of past entrance exams on DIA. They correspond to a good high school level, harder than those of polytechnics, but perfectly feasible if you have prepared them correctly.

- Start an english-taught bachelor degree in a good polytechnic (I know Arcada's DP in plastics has a good reputation. Metropolia intends to be "the best UAS in Finland by 2012", I don't really know what that means though ... Another indicator of their seriousness is their foreign partner institutions.). Get VERRY good grades in your bachelor degree : at least 75% if you want your application to be considered, more if you want to have a chance to get in ... No failed parts. Maybe also take supplementary courses (in maths and physics for example) as a non-degree student in a university of technology. And finally, apply to a master degree in a relevant field to you polytech degree. Don't even bother applying to Chemical Engineering if you have a Bachelor in IT!


salmari.hölmö
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:23 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Universitys/Polytechnics.. Entrance examinations. CLUE!

Post by salmari.hölmö » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:53 am

wildclaw wrote:
sammy wrote:You should note that a Bachelor's degree from a polytechnic (UAS) does not necessarily make you eligible to apply to university Master's programmes in Finland... you might need to do some bridging studies... it depends.
True. For exemple TKK won't take any polytechnic students in the Physics & Maths degree programme. Also remember that priority will be given to the university students who have completed the bachelor in the relative field to the master programme. Then if there are some places left, they might take foreign and polytechnic students ...

So if you want to go till the master degree what you can do is either :

- Learn finnish fluently, and try the bachelor entrance exams of the universities of technology (http://www.dia.fi for more infos). They might require you to pass a finnish language test, I don't know about that. I think there are some samples of past entrance exams on DIA. They correspond to a good high school level, harder than those of polytechnics, but perfectly feasible if you have prepared them correctly.

- Start an english-taught bachelor degree in a good polytechnic (I know Arcada's DP in plastics has a good reputation. Metropolia intends to be "the best UAS in Finland by 2012", I don't really know what that means though ... Another indicator of their seriousness is their foreign partner institutions.). Get VERRY good grades in your bachelor degree : at least 75% if you want your application to be considered, more if you want to have a chance to get in ... No failed parts. Maybe also take supplementary courses (in maths and physics for example) as a non-degree student in a university of technology. And finally, apply to a master degree in a relevant field to you polytech degree. Don't even bother applying to Chemical Engineering if you have a Bachelor in IT!
Kiitos, kiitos, kiitos, kiiiitos paljon :D I will take your advice and of coruse I will do my best to get very good grades on the IT bachelor degree. I hope I have some fluent finnish skills in 3 years :ohno: I dont know too much about DP in plastics, my passion has been IT since I was kid :lol:
Image


Post Reply