studying in Rovaniemi or Helsinki

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
biscuitgirl

Post by biscuitgirl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:41 pm

Hello everyone,
I am from Turkey and I just received acceptance for Master's studies in University of Lapland (industrial design). I also have an interview with Aalto University next week and if I am also accepted to that university, I will have to make a choice.
I have been making research about studying and living in both of the cities for about a year, but I wanted to ask your experiences and advices.
Since Aalto University has been my ultimate dream for years (as TAIK), I am more inclined to choose that one if they accept me.
What do you think? My biggest concern is about living expenses, I am sure Helsinki is way more expensive than Rovaniemi, but the question is, how much more?
So, if you have any ideas or advices you can give me about living and studying in both or any of these cities and maybe any possible comparisons, it is truly appreciated.
Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Re: studying in Rovaniemi or Helsinki

Post by inkku » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:26 pm

If you get into Aalto, naturally go for it, it is a no-brainer. The difference in living expenses would not be so high. Rovaniemi is also up in the north, the climate is cold and there is more darkness. However, it (Taik) is a very difficult place to get into so better to wait their decision before starting planning anything.

biscuitgirl

Post by biscuitgirl » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:09 am

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, Aalto University does attract me more and I really hope that they take me!
As for the cold and darkness, it is something that I really want to experience :)
I read in one of the topics that around 500 euros a month would be enough for life in Rovaniemi, is it almost the same in Helsinki ?
Also, for the rents, I looked at some websites (especially that of Domus Arctica), but I could not be sure about one thing: what are usually included in the cost of rents?
Thanks again.

EP

Post by EP » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:33 pm

what are usually included in the cost of rents?
In student housing: electricity and water.

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:33 pm

often also internet.

smokingkills

Post by smokingkills » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:56 pm

aferin sana

Rip

Post by Rip » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:58 am

biscuitgirl wrote:I read in one of the topics that around 500 euros a month would be enough for life in Rovaniemi, is it almost the same in Helsinki ?
I do not think the differences in other prices are that important. Housing is the big item. You've found the student accommodation info already, and with some effort you can probably (despite the language) do a search of the normal apartment rental prices. I'd recommend trying to get student accommodation because of the costs.

biscuitgirl

Post by biscuitgirl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:33 am

Thank you all for your replies! :)

Aim2thecdock

Post by Aim2thecdock » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi, I studied at the University of Lapland. Its very inexpensive compared to Helsinki. You can apply at the Kuntotie apartments to live in a share and I think i paid about 140 euros maybe a bit more I can't quite remember. Now, i'm looking for accomodations in Helsinki...and its so competitive and expensive. It really depends on if you want to live in a very quiet town or a more city like booming metropolis. I enjoyed my time at the Uni of Lapland but, i'd do a bit more research about Helsinki :)

Good Luck ,

Amie

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Helsinki
booming metropolis
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aim2thecdock

Post by Aim2thecdock » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:36 am

well anything is a booming metropolis compared to Rovaniemi