MSc fulltime while working fulltime with A-type work permit?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
ilmainen_siideri

Post by ilmainen_siideri » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi,

I have an A-type permit based on employment. I work for my own company and my hours are very flexible. I would like to apply to master's program in Aalto University and study (if admitted) full-time, combining with full-time work. It's hard, but I did it before in another country and I want to challenge myself again.

There are few topics on the forum about this kind of arrangement, but no clear explanation. On Migri's website FAQ http://www.migri.fi/services/faq/reside ... employment there is an answer:
Am I allowed to study if I have a residence permit for an employed person?
Yes. All Finnish residence permits entitle you to study in Finland. However, if the purpose of your residence in Finland changes permanently, for instance from employment to studying, you must notify the authorities of this at the latest when you apply for extension of your residence permit.
So, I guess I can study, and as long as I keep my full-time work, it's okay. I called Migri's support today and a lovely lady told me she doesn't know about any limitations, and if you have a residence permit — you can study, even if it's work-based of family-based permit.

I only have one concern: I've heard that in Finland government basically does care about your time, meaning, from their stand point of view you can't possible work full time and study full time, and if you do — there's something fishy there.

I am reading Alien Act http://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokset ... 040301.pdf right now, and I find something related to this question, I'll post a reply to this topic. But if you have any knowledge or experience, please share it.

Thank you.

Älä huoli, olla onnellinen!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: MSc fulltime while working fulltime with A-type work per

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:01 pm

ilmainen_siideri wrote:I only have one concern: I've heard that in Finland government basically does care about your time, meaning, from their stand point of view you can't possible work full time and study full time, and if you do — there's something fishy there.
Your concerns have no legal basis.
The problem occurs the other way around; if you have a study-based RP and you want to work full time. There's no problem in your case.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:02 pm

ilmainen_siideri wrote: I only have one concern: I've heard that in Finland government basically does care about your time, meaning, from their stand point of view you can't possible work full time and study full time, and if you do — there's something fishy there.
The context there probably has been social security. For example, full time studies usually make you ineligible for unemployment benefits.

ilmainen_siideri

Post by ilmainen_siideri » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:56 pm

Beep_Boop wrote: Your concerns have no legal basis.
The problem occurs the other way around; if you have a study-based RP and you want to work full time. There's no problem in your case.
Thanks!
betelgeuse wrote: The context there probably has been social security. For example, full time studies usually make you ineligible for unemployment benefits.
So, as long as I work and don't claim any benefits — I should be fine, it seems.
Thanks.

ilmainen_siideri

Post by ilmainen_siideri » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:45 am

roger_roger wrote: Yes Finland does care about how much tax you pay nothing much or else they wouldn't be planning to increase the working hour in name of fake competitiveness.

Trade union and the collective bargaining act is the one that cares a bit, but they are being forced and suppressed.

At some point in 2014 I was working almost 2 full-time jobs raking 15 hours a day. The only organization cared about me was the Tax Office who send me the bill to pay extra 3000 euros as I paid less tax then what I was supposed to pay. :evil:

Doing multiple tasks full time is not a norm in Finland and there is no special rules/law about it. Trade union has rules and suggestions about work hours and times, extra-work, extra-pay, etc, but its just limited to one workplace.
I was under an impression that there is a Nordic / Finnish thing — no extra work, strict holidays and weekends, no "work your ass off" !"#¤%, but then I moved here and most of the people I met (in IT and accounting, at least) work extra hours, sometimes extremely so, skip weekends, etc.