Where Can I finish my Accounting bachelors in Helsinki?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Dbchops

Post by Dbchops » Tue May 03, 2016 4:28 pm

From the little research I've done I haven't found a university yet in Helsinki which offers a bachelors of Accounting program in English. I have alot of credits (3 years) from school in the U.S. I'm looking for an accounting program (bachelors not masers) where I can transfer those credits in order to complete my degree. I don't want an international business degree or any other business degree. If anyone has any info for me it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Swissguy

Re: Where Can I finish my Accounting bachelors in Helsinki?

Post by Swissguy » Thu May 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Why not a BBA? You can choose accounting as your main topic.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 pm

I would imagine that most accounting majors in Finland are taught in Finnish and based on IFRS accounting standards. I'm not sure you would be able to transfer all your credits.

As a general rule, you would have to apply as a new student to a degree programme in Finland and then when/if you are accepted, you could apply for AHOT (RPL - Recognition of Prior Learning) to get your credits. Some teachers will only accept the credits after the student has taken an exam. Credits are not 'transferable' as such. Non-EU students will have to pay fees starting on 1st Jan 2017 and, as far as I know, there will be no discount for prior learning.

Studying accounting in Finland without any knowledge of Finnish would be pretty difficult. The local accounting rules and regulations (as well as most of the accounting/bookkeeping systems) are in Finnish.

As already suggested, a BBA in international business might be your best option. You could take Accounting and Finance electives after the basic core studies.

What is your game plan? I wonder how useful a European accounting (IFRS) course would be when you return to the US.

Dbchops

Post by Dbchops » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:53 pm

Not returning to the U.S. anytime soon, My wife is Finnish and 9 months pregnant with our daughter. I'll look into the BBA. Thanks

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:20 pm

BBA (tradenomi) in accounting/insurance/banking... but most ofvthose would be in Finnish. In English they are Nowheremäki polytechnics with those prestigious international business degrees. The only "real" university I'd point you to is Hanken. But you need to have more than kindergarten base to get in. Look at the polytechnics, I mean "universitiesof applied science", Haaga-Helia has some cojones.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:13 am

So you're one year from completing a BA in Accounting in the US?

Can you find a way to complete the American degree in the same or a similarly accredited American university by distance learning and maybe a few visits for examinations and interviews, maybe lessened by some Skype or phone consultations with instructors? (Don't step downwards on the accreditation-credibility ladder unless you absolutely must: whatever kind of school you've been in, try to finish in that quality of school.) Then you would at least have a completed degree. While that won't get you an accounting job in Finland, it is at least a milestone and a marker of credibility. You could use it as the foundation for further study or future employment. Right now you don't have anything like 3/4 of the benefits of a degree. But you DO have 3/4 of the degree itself; and it's hard to believe there wouldn't be a way to push through that last 1/4. If you quit now, it's close to completely throwing away the three years you've invested to date -- especially in a profession like yours that requires licensure. (You've sort of done that already by moving to another country, but if you can complete the licensure there may be odd little ways to leverage it despite the geography.)

And you don't know if you will end up returning (as a couple) to the US at some point. You really don't want to ever end up there without a degree unless you have very special skills and desirability. And any more, even that is a dicey proposition. As someone with a head for numbers and probably a fairly conventional/conservative way of thinking, you're going to have even more than the usual uphill battle to learn any functional level of Finnish. In, say, two years, you can be a (geographically challenged, alas) CPA enrolled to practice before the IRS for expatriate clients. Or you can be another "dumb American" with no meaningful prospects of work or integration in Finland whose lame attempts to speak Finnish evoke only pity or levity.

Filing US taxes often seems to be a problem for Americans in Finland, and as I'm sure you know it remains an annual requirement regardless of residency. As long as you'll be resident in Helsinki, completing your US BA and then passing the CPA exam could give you an opening for at least some work in Finland, whether self-employed or in a company setting. It wouldn't be easy to get into the latter, but there is always at least a trickle of need for knowledge and/or credentials in Finland for US accounting. You could then possibly use that level of employment to bootstrap into education in Finnish accounting.

Why not use that first year, maybe a little more, to finish your US degree? It's not like you're giving up gainful employment to do so during that time; you won't find any work with no Finnish and no skills you've mentioned that are useful on the Finnish market. Nor will you learn enough Finnish in that time to take a menial job. As far as I can see, the greatest ROI you can get on your effort during that time is to finish a US degree.

I mean what do you other finlandforumers think? Am I exaggerating or being too pessimistic? Or is this not the reality of the situation?
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:04 pm

:thumbsup:
Wise words.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:37 pm

I wonder if the urgency to move to Finland is because of the wife and new baby? Lots of mothers feel happier near their own mothers once they have children.

It might sound selfish. But finish your schooling in America. And then move over to Finland. It would in the long run be the wisest decision. Sure your wife isn't near her family, but you have to think of the future of your family longterm. What benefits it themost? Not just now.

Good luck!

Dbchops

Post by Dbchops » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:31 pm

The main reason I was thinking of trying to finish my degree here was because my brother in law (a Finn who works in finance for many years) urged me to do it this way. Upon researching everything I, like several folks in this thread, came to the conclusion I should just do it online with a U.S. university. Fortunately I've found one that accepts up to 90 credits (which I do have). It's ashford university, all online and fully accredited. And the course is very flexible so I'll be able to work my painting job full time still as I do it.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer.

From one 'Dumb American' to another

KITTOS!