U.S. student aid to study at University of Helsinki

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
bf421

Post by bf421 » Fri May 20, 2016 6:42 am

I've been accepted to a masters program at the University of Helsinki starting this fall (score), and I've also been offered a part time paid internship in my field (double score). However, I'd like to bring my family with me, and I'm very confused about how to use student aid from the United States for studies.

As of right now, I have enough in my bank account for both myself and my family in terms of getting a visa for one year. My biggest concern is that the cost of living for a family is probably more than what the immigration service requires, and being a part time job (though probably full time in the summer), it alone may not be enough to cover living expenses. That said, I'd like to get a student loan in order to give myself plenty of "padding" because the worst thing possible would be to not have enough in the bank to renew the visa and have my family get kicked out of the country after a year.

I've been approved for a federal Graduate Plus loan, and they say I can go to any accredited school. They have a list of schools that officially participate, but I can get the loan even if it's not on the list. All they need is a "cost of attendance" (referring to student fees and cost of living, since there isn't tuition right now). The university has this published, so that isn't a problem.

Here is the problem. Apparently the student loan has to be paid to the university and not directly to me. It is applied to my university account and after fees have been taken from it, the university disperses it to me. I've contacted the University of Helsinki, and they say it isn't possible to do that.

I'm really surprised by this because there must be some kind of student account I will have. For instance, I believe there is a student union fee which I have to pay, and they must have a way to attach that payment to my name - otherwise how do they keep track of who has paid and who hasn't?

I've looked into Sallie Mae for private loans, but they do the same thing - they send the funds to the school, not to me. So I'm still stuck.

I'm sure I'm not the only American who has ever gone to the University of Helsinki and has used U.S. student loans. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, what can be done?

P.S. Please no rude comments telling me that if I can't afford college without a loan, I shouldn't go to school. I've thought this through, and I know what I'm doing. I'm talking about maybe $10k in loans max for the whole masters programme, so nothing that will be haunting me for the rest of my life. Believe me, even with moving across the ocean, it's still cheaper than tuition and cost of living at an in-state public university in the U.S.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: U.S. student aid to study at University of Helsinki

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 20, 2016 12:34 pm

bf421 wrote: I'm really surprised by this because there must be some kind of student account I will have. For instance, I believe there is a student union fee which I have to pay, and they must have a way to attach that payment to my name - otherwise how do they keep track of who has paid and who hasn't?
The student union and the university are two separate legal entities. The latter collects no fees. The former might be willing to accommodate you in moving the money through their accounts.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri May 20, 2016 7:55 pm

That sounds... weird. You don't have "an account" at the university. It is not a bank. Finnish student loans are paid to the student, it is assumed if you have the intellectual capacity to attend an university, you have the intellectual capacity to manage your finances.

I can imagine 1001 "money laundering" triggers go off someone suggesting the student union or university rotating some foreigner's funds through their bank account...

BTW congrats on getting "in", thats not a small feat to accomplish.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rip

Post by Rip » Sat May 21, 2016 10:58 pm

All they need is a "cost of attendance" (referring to student fees and cost of living, since there isn't tuition right now).
Is this cost of attendance truly meant to cover "general living expenses" (your grocery bill, what you pay for your housing for some other entity than the university) and has this been told you directly by some somebody working for or with the program, so it is not just your interpretation of the rules? In addition there typically being no tuition costs, you can not pay the university for housing or meals either, because the universities here do not offer such services. I have feeling you're trying to fit a round peg to a square hole.
My biggest concern is that the cost of living for a family is probably more than what the immigration service requires
Did you get student housing (or can you still get one)? Housing on general market prices could easily be the single biggest item on your budget. Amounts on the immigration service tables are supposed to be realistic levels on what you can live here (sparingly but manage anyway). For students they expect you can get your housing below regular market prices.

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Mon May 23, 2016 10:49 am

Congrats on the place and on a paid internship at the same time - no mean feat and a lot of people I know would be giving their eye teeth for that. I am just finishing up a masters myself and also got lucky and got a paid internship at the university.

The only thing I want to say to you is, no matter how hard you budget and try to live cheaply, do not underestimate how expensive Finland is. I have bled money here. Even though the fees were free, in all honesty, it has cost me so much that I calculated that it would have cost less in the end to go back to Australia where I previously studied, paid the fee for a masters (I am EU so would pay the full foreigner fee) and work the 20 hours per week in term time, and full time in holiday time which students are allowed to work. I am a nurse as my basic degree, so 20 hours of RN work plus 40 in holiday time in Australia would cover all my costs and then some. They gave me a visa for almost 6 months beyond my actual study time when I was there and I was able to work 40 hours during that period, legally. I paid a huge fee to study there, Australia is expensive to live in, but I still came home with money.

Really look at your budget.

bf421

Post by bf421 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:03 am

Thanks, everyone for the feedback!

The topic of college tuition prices and student loans is a very heated debate here, and online it can be extremely hostile. So thanks for the positive comments :)

I have looked at HOAS, and it seems like they have good housing options for families. I don't really want to reserve a room until I have the funding issue figured out, but I hope that will be soon.

Yes, I think that a school with no tuition is a foreign concept to people in the U.S. (No pun intended). You're right about the round peg in the square hole, or in this case the American bureaucracy into the University bureaucracy. For most U.S. loans, it can cover both tuition + cost of living, but it seems like they don't understand that in this case, it is just for cost of living. I do believe that the U.S. loans have to go through the university rather than being paid to the student is to prevent fraud and money laundering. I'm glad that Finnish people are trusted more - actually that is one thing I really admire about the Finnish culture.

Maybe I should try talking to someone from the Student Union. Maybe they are familiar with the issue and know how to handle it. It seems like they care for their students.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sun May 29, 2016 5:54 am

bf421 wrote: I have looked at HOAS, and it seems like they have good housing options for families. I don't really want to reserve a room until I have the funding issue figured out, but I hope that will be soon.
If you have explicit and clear instructions from HOAS (regarding timetable) stating otherwise, then follow them and not tips from anonymous internet boards, but I'd be worried that if you wait too long you won't get any. Autumn is the hardest time ot get a flat for students. Almost everybody starts their studies then, only a small fraction end them then.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:24 pm

You should apply for housing ASAP. Not diddle daddle around. It is hard to get. Probably even harder with a family.