Studying in Finland

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
IvanKragujevac

Studying in Finland

Post by IvanKragujevac » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi all,

I just got a Letter of Acceptance from Lahti Uas, so I have a question regarding living and housing in Finland! I would like to live in Helsinki because it is more easier to find some job to support myself and Lahti is very close (one hour by train, bus ),so my question is do I have the right to live in another city instead of the city where I study ? Of course I will lose student benefits from Lahti but I am aware of that !

Thanks in advance!

Studying in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tot

Re: Studying in Finland

Post by Tot » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:00 pm

You were apply for mba? Or what?

IvanKragujevac

Post by IvanKragujevac » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:22 pm

Yes, Mba in Lahti University of Applied Sciences ! It is about 3-4 contact lesson in a month so I could travel from Helsinki to Lahti easily!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:31 pm

IvanKragujevac wrote: I just got a Letter of Acceptance from Lahti Uas, so I have a question regarding living and housing in Finland! I would like to live in Helsinki because it is more easier to find some job to support myself and Lahti is very close (one hour by train, bus ),so my question is do I have the right to live in another city instead of the city where I study ?
Yes.
IvanKragujevac wrote: Of course I will lose student benefits from Lahti but I am aware of that !
Which benefits?

IvanKragujevac

Post by IvanKragujevac » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:10 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
IvanKragujevac wrote: I just got a Letter of Acceptance from Lahti Uas, so I have a question regarding living and housing in Finland! I would like to live in Helsinki because it is more easier to find some job to support myself and Lahti is very close (one hour by train, bus ),so my question is do I have the right to live in another city instead of the city where I study ?
Yes.
IvanKragujevac wrote: Of course I will lose student benefits from Lahti but I am aware of that !
Which benefits?
Student flats, meals in cafeteria ,discount for public transport, more than enough benefits :) If I live in Helsinki I have to rent non student room! My concern is because of Finnish authorities and law for international students !

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:14 pm

IvanKragujevac wrote:
betelgeuse wrote: Which benefits?
Student flats, meals in cafeteria ,discount for public transport, more than enough benefits :) If I live in Helsinki I have to rent non student room! My concern is because of Finnish authorities and law for international students !
It depends. For example, meals are covered by Kela and do not depend on the municipality of residence, you would get discounts on VR etc. Counterexample would be HOAS that is only available for studies around Helsinki (Lahti is not included).

Tot

Post by Tot » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Did you know the minimum points they want to chosen the student?

IvanKragujevac

Post by IvanKragujevac » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:49 pm

Tot wrote:Did you know the minimum points they want to chosen the student?

No, I don't know!

vtl

Post by vtl » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:18 pm

I read from another thread that the International Business line was not so good in Haaga-Helia and Arcada but those posts were like 10 years old. Whats the situation now? How do these schools rank versus each other and in comparison to other schools like Metropolia and Laurea, which offer International Business.

I'm also interested to know if the fact that Arcada is a Finnish-Swedish school is causing challenges to Finnish students who are not so strong in their second native language (Swedish).

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:30 pm

What does it matter if Arcada is Finnish-Swedish if the "International business" is taught in English? Besides which, the foreign students wouldn't understand anything in either language...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."