RP for U of Helsinki from USA

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
purplepurple

Post by purplepurple » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:55 pm

I was recently accepted to study at the University of Helsinki in an international master's program. I only found out two days ago and I am expected to be there by August 31 to begin. I have run into the problem that it will take almost a month to receive a residence permit, plus I have to travel quite a ways to be fingerprinted and identified. I am unable to make the trip for 2 and a half weeks due to the schedule of the embassy. Does anyone from the United States have any experience receiving an RP for Finland? Will it really take a month? Is there any way the university can help me? I have emailed multiple people but many are on summer break.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: RP for U of Helsinki from USA

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:42 pm

purplepurple wrote:Will it really take a month?
Yes it will.

http://www.migri.fi/services/customer_b ... ions_67581
purplepurple wrote:Is there any way the university can help me?
No they can't. All student applications get expedited handling so there's no method to speed them up any more.
purplepurple wrote:I am unable to make the trip for 2 and a half weeks due to the schedule of the embassy.
Are all of Washington, New York, and Los Angeles backed up?

http://www.finland.org/public/default.a ... ture=en-US

bf421

Post by bf421 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:32 pm

I had a similar issue. Coincidentally I went to the consulate in Los Angeles just yesterday (it was really fast by the way. It took about half an hour). I have the same concern because I have a plane ticket for August 17th, and I'm crossing my fingers that it gets done on time. At least the ticket I have on Condor is changeable (one of the few airlines that does that and doesn't charge more for a one-way flight than a round trip flight). I really hope the RP is done in time.

Be aware that when I scheduled my appointment at the consulate, they were booked 2 weeks out, so schedule with them if you haven't done so already.

Also, if you are bringing family, they are very particular about having documents (marriage license, birth certificate for child) authenticated.

ProspectiveFinn

Post by ProspectiveFinn » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:57 am

purplepurple wrote:Will it really take a month?
I had an appointment for myself, my wife and son on June 29th at the Los Angeles consulate. We were notified by email that our residence permits had been approved on July 12th, and were also told our physical permits would arrive between July 26th and August 2nd. All steps accounted for it took almost exactly one month from the appointment date, so yes.