GPA For Master's Degree in Finland

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
metallin2211

Post by metallin2211 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi everyone!

How should the GPA be for a foreigner student in order to do master's degree at a Finnish university? Can you give me examples from your GPA? (out of 5 and the field is business/economics)

Thanks! :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Lavinia

Re: GPA For Master's Degree in Finland

Post by Lavinia » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:54 pm

I don't think GPA has anything to do with the admission to master's degrees here in Finland; the study places are given based on the results of the entrance exam and the admission to the entrance exam is normally given after a pre-task. At least in my field (Art&Design)

sky2

Post by sky2 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Lavinia wrote:I don't think GPA has anything to do with the admission to master's degrees here in Finland; the study places are given based on the results of the entrance exam and the admission to the entrance exam is normally given after a pre-task. At least in my field (Art&Design)
GPA has everything to do with the admission to master's degrees here in Finland, there's no entrance exam and/or interview. Only Aalto's Art degrees require interview.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:28 am

sky2 wrote:GPA has everything to do with the admission to master's degrees here in Finland, there's no entrance exam and/or interview. Only Aalto's Art degrees require interview.
One must not apply his own personal experience and turn that into a general rule. Some universities do require good grades in your Bachelor's studies and even in your high school scores, and some don't require that all. Some require an interview, and some don't.

I had to attend an interview when I was applying for my master studies, and I'm sure as sh*t I didn't study arts.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:28 pm

Where I've been working, all applicants for the Masters programme have to have a bachelors degree, relevant work experience and then take an entrance exam and a group interview. But that's a UAS. Maybe some of the academic unis are only interested in grades.

sky2

Post by sky2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:
sky2 wrote:GPA has everything to do with the admission to master's degrees here in Finland, there's no entrance exam and/or interview. Only Aalto's Art degrees require interview.
One must not apply his own personal experience and turn that into a general rule. Some universities do require good grades in your Bachelor's studies and even in your high school scores, and some don't require that all. Some require an interview, and some don't.

I had to attend an interview when I was applying for my master studies, and I'm sure as sh*t I didn't study arts.
I have studied bachelor and master degrees in Finland so I have quite much experience of applying to various universities here. I did not find any master program in IT/CS requiring any entrance exam or interview except Aalto's cross discipline program International Design Business Management and they too invite for the interview in second round, if your GPA is good enough. Universities of applied sciences might be a different case.

Perhaps you can tell which universities require entrance exam or the interviews for the master degrees programs?

aqua91

Post by aqua91 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Thank you for your answers, guys. :) What was your GPA?