Outcome for having low ECTS

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
cbhavan

Post by cbhavan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:25 am

Hi,

I am a Foreign Masters student having 15 ECTS till date. I have to file the application for student permit renewal next month and wondering what could be the outcome for having 30 less ECTS then required. I have heard that a medical certificate or the exact reason for not having enough credits is sufficient .
On the other hand, I suffered from severe depression but I didn't visit any doctor and hence I don't have any proof for that. I think they won't take mouth of words during the interview. So, what could be the possible solution for it?

Also, I would like to know what can happen in the worst case? If I do get rejected, would I have the right to appeal?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Outcome for having low ECTS

Post by rinso » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:44 pm

cbhavan wrote:Hi,

I am a Foreign Masters student having 15 ECTS till date. I have to file the application for student permit renewal next month and wondering what could be the outcome for having 30 less ECTS then required. I have heard that a medical certificate or the exact reason for not having enough credits is sufficient .
On the other hand, I suffered from severe depression but I didn't visit any doctor and hence I don't have any proof for that. I think they won't take mouth of words during the interview. So, what could be the possible solution for it?

Also, I would like to know what can happen in the worst case? If I do get rejected, would I have the right to appeal?
With such a large discrepancy it is unlikely you'll get your permit renewed without a very good (written) declaration. And even than it will hang in the balance.
You'll have the right to appeal, but if the decision is based on facts (15 vs 45 points) the appeal will fail.
I suggest you start thinking of a plan B, so you won't lose a year by waiting for a decision or an appeal.

cbhavan

Post by cbhavan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:59 pm

With such a large discrepancy it is unlikely you'll get your permit renewed without a very good (written) declaration. And even than it will hang in the balance.
You'll have the right to appeal, but if the decision is based on facts (15 vs 45 points) the appeal will fail.
I suggest you start thinking of a plan B, so you won't lose a year by waiting for a decision or an appeal.
Thank you for the reply. Do you think medical certificate stating my depression would serve as a good declaration? As I have heard people getting permit renewal with even less ECTS with main reason of having depression.

Also are there any cases where migri grants a temporary permit just to see the progress on student?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Best thing you can do is to follow the advice here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=95063#p571469
If you've already made the application, then send those as additional information in the e-service.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

tinyoctopus

Post by tinyoctopus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:09 pm

I had the same situation last year, renewed my RP successfully with a lower than required amount of credits by providing a written statement from a doctor (general practitioner, not even a psychiatrist, though I was diagnosed mid-year). But since depressed people are unlikely to look for timely help, Migri are ought to take a post-factum diagnosis into consideration. Good luck!

linknh0k

Post by linknh0k » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi, how are you now? Have you tried to appeal? I'm also in the same situation (negative decision) even though i have provided them medical paper from doctor & psychologist. I heard that the chance of successful appeal is very low, but it is better than nothing.
I hope you are well.