Non-EU citizen Erasmus from Finland with B Permit

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Lullaby

Post by Lullaby » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:57 pm

I have a study residence permit in Finland (B permit) and I want to go for study exchange for 1 year to Germany, but I want to come back and apply for citizenship in Finland when I graduate (from Finnish school). Does anyone know if there is a maximum amount of time allowed to be out of the country with B permit (B permit is valid for 1 year) so that I don't lose the residence permit?

I heard something about 6 months, or being in Finland for half of the time the permit is valid, but does that mean I just need to come back to Finland for some time, like a couple weeks, or that I actually need to be here for 6 months out of the year?
When I accepted the exchange place, the immigration people told me that this exchange period (Erasmus) is fine, but then I spoke to them again for something and they told me that its not fine, so I'm looking for the right way to keep the residency period in Finland. Does anyone who is not from EU have any experience with this?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Non-EU citizen Erasmus from Finland with B Permit

Post by tavastia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:03 am

B residence permits are calculated only as half to residential period. You can read about it here: applying_for_citizenship/requirements/residence_period