Expired Permit Query

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
alice22

Expired Permit Query

Post by alice22 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:44 am

Hi,

Hope you all are having a good day. I started studying at University Of Tampere in fall 2016. Due to some personal reasons I had to leave the country soon after the studies began. My resident permit has expired now. I plan to apply for the 2018 fall session to a different university. Which permit application should I apply after getting the admission? And not continuing the studies the first time would create any issue or its fine?

"First Resident Permit" or "Extended residence permit"?

Expired Permit Query

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Expired Permit Query

Post by rinso » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:57 pm

alice22 wrote:Hi,

Hope you all are having a good day. I started studying at University Of Tampere in fall 2016. Due to some personal reasons I had to leave the country soon after the studies began. My resident permit has expired now. I plan to apply for the 2018 fall session to a different university. Which permit application should I apply after getting the admission? And not continuing the studies the first time would create any issue or its fine?

"First Resident Permit" or "Extended residence permit"?
An extension will probably be denied because you haven't got enough credits and you left the country. So you have to try a new application.

Beep_Boop

Re: Expired Permit Query

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:18 pm

As a rule, extending your permit can only be done if your current permit hasn't expired yet. Because your permit has expired, you have to apply for a new one. On the EnterFinland website, they call it "First Residence Permit".
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.