PhD student Means of Support

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Piapia

Post by Piapia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Hello, does anybody know if the required means of support amount for phd student residence permit is the same with undergraduate students (560eu/months)? or is it higher? Thank you for your reply in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: PhD student Means of Support

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:50 pm

Piapia wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:44 pm
Hello, does anybody know if the required means of support amount for phd student residence permit is the same with undergraduate students (560eu/months)? or is it higher?
PhD students can't access the same subsidies for meals so I assume to compensate Migri will require higher means of support.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:12 pm

That number, and other numbers, are general guidelines. They're not in the law. This means that any reasonable proof showing that you're able to support yourself is sufficient. If you feel like the number is good enough for your case, you can write in the "additional information" section a short explanation of your expenses and why you think your number is enough. Make sure the explanation is brief and direct.

Migri knows that you'll appeal and very likely win the appeal if your means of support are truly sufficient.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Piapia

Post by Piapia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Thank you guys for the replies! I found this statement on migri webpage:'If a postgraduate student is financing his or her studies with his or her own means or has a scholarship of less than 1,187 euros a month, he or she is considered to be a student.' In this case, 560eu/month must be enough -I hope-