RUGBY WORLD CUP!

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.

Place your bets......

Poll ended at Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:19 pm

Australia
53%
England
47%

Total votes: 15

tgabawm

Post by tgabawm » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:01 pm

My haert and soul preys for Australia. Anything to see the English loose.
Anything, you're right! Go Australia!

If the drop would say "I am unnecesary", there would be no ocean.
(M. Quoist)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

gavin

Post by gavin » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:35 pm

I just read some of my posts today.

As it is, I'm horrifically dyslexic. It seems that today there is something in the air that's doubled by afliction :wink:

Or maybe I was just thinking too hard about sheep.

"Do monomaniacal paranoid schizophrenic agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if they might *be* the dog that's out to get them?"

"I had a dyslexic girl friend in Utah -- she wrote me a John Deere letter"

"A dyslexic man walks into a bra."

(I'll get my coat)

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:32 pm

WORLD cup... England vs Australia :lol: The world is a bit wider, fellas, it contains many other countries in addition to England and Australia :)

Anyway, go KIWIS! :)

(what's the difference between Aussie and Kiwi?)
G.S.

Make war with love

gavin

Post by gavin » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:47 pm

Samppa wrote:WORLD cup... England vs Australia :lol: The world is a bit wider, fellas, it contains many other countries in addition to England and Australia
Oh, do your research.
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/RugbyWorldCup/EN/

:roll:

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:55 pm

Samppa wrote:
WORLD cup... England vs Australia The world is a bit wider, fellas, it contains many other countries in addition to England and Australia

Oh, do your research.
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/RugbyWorldCup/EN/
I was just going to post the same response....twenty teams from around the world started the competion on 10th October for goodness sakes..it is one of the Worlds major sports events!

..or is this a wind up Samppa?
½Image½Image

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:51 pm

Samppa wrote: (what's the difference between Aussie and Kiwi?)
About the same as with Israel and Cyprus. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:04 am

Rugby fan paints St George's Cross on house

A England rugby fan who lost a bet that France would win the World Cup semi-final has honoured his forfeit to paint a massive St George's Cross on his house. Peter Tibbs, of Bishop Sutton, Bristol, placed a bet with the landlord of his local pub on the match last Sunday. But the 59-year-old PE teacher is now paying the price for his disloyalty following England's 24-7 victory.

In the bet with Jon Jenssen, who is the the landlord of the Ring O Bells pub in Hinton Blewett, Mr Tibbs agreed to have the gable end of his house painted with a massive St George's cross if England won. If England had lost he would have enjoyed a champagne dinner for four at the pub. Mr Tibbs could only watch with regret as Mr Jenssen, with the help of six other avid England fans, painted his cottage white with a red cross. "We always argue about sport in the pub and place a few small bets but I didn't imagine it would come to this. I don't like the way England play rugby and I really thought France's flair and ability to run the ball would secure them a place in the final," he said. He put England's convincing victory down to the rain which he claims suited England's "tight" game and prevented France from winning. Mr Tibbs, father-of-two, was concerned about his wife Elizabeth's reaction to the new piece of art which took just under four hours to complete. "She was in the pub on the Sunday when I made the bet so she can't blame it all on me. But I have to say that the painting is meticulous. I am just hoping Jon will give us dinner and a few drinks to make up for it."

Mr Tibbs, who admits that he is not always such a good humoured loser, said he was amused by all the motorists who had driven by beeping their horns. He said: "They think I have done this to get into the spirit of things for the final. They think I am an avid fan which is a laugh," he said.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:24 am

Hank W. wrote:
Samppa wrote: (what's the difference between Aussie and Kiwi?)
About the same as with Israel and Cyprus. :mrgreen:
You have to have sympathy with Samppa..there access to international sport and news in Isreal is ..a bit restricted..Dare I say.."over moderated" :wink:

Example one of Israel top basket ball teams was here last week playing against Espoo Honka. (They won btw)
They were checked into Maippi's hotel and before they were allowed in... the whole hotel ..every room had to searched by their own security teams and Espoo police sniffer dog squad..bit annoying for other guests ...but they insisted.
Then the sports team could be moved into their rooms...must be great fun for those sports guys. :roll:
They stay in their rooms and do not leave other than to travel to/from the venue for the event..Obviously armed watchers sit in the reception area with their doggies and eye/scare off everyone who enters or tries to enter the hotel.
What did you do? I ask Maippi.."Oh I fed the doggies with the ginger biscuits and gave the policemen alkotonglögi..the dogs were quite friendly and the ploicemen kept saying "sorry if we are causing too much bother but times are twitchy"..but those poor guys from Israel did not even get to visit anywhere while they were in Finland. Just a bus to from the airport and to from the stadium.
Of topic I know but..I can see why Samppa might not have noticed the the All Blacks were knocked out in the semi finals.
There are also a few Kiwi who do not know yet..they are probably still sleeping off the effect of too much Fosters which they drank before and during the match :wink: Are they going to be sore when they wake up! :roll:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:16 am

To return to the Topic..
The third place play..
All Black v France...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 285433.stm
RESULT
FROGS 13 v KIWIs 40
It was not raining..excuse mais oui! They were bigger than us perhaps!
Last edited by PeterF on Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:56 pm

But please be careful, because there's always the risk of injury...

Freckles

Post by Freckles » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:16 pm

My goodness! Look what you boys have been up to on *my* thread while I've been away... well, 9 hours ahead makes it tricky to keep up sometimes. ;)

I'll catch all you cobbers at the game!!

Freckles.
*going sleeps now*
It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
Ursula Le Guin
ImageImage

steve

Post by steve » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:31 pm

Great to see the Kiwi Boyz at least take revenge on the Frogs..and just received this newsflash from downunder...

Subject:
AAP 20/11/03

The England team's training session was delayed yesterday for nearly two hours.

One of the players, while on his way back to the dressing room happened to look down and notice a suspicious looking, unknown white powdery substance at the end of the field.

Coach Clive Woodward immediately suspended practice while the Police were called in to investigate.

After a complete field analysis, the Police determined that the white substance, unknown to the players, was the try line. Practice was resumed when the officials decided that it was unlikely that the team would encounter the substance again.
Steve - Image

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:01 pm

..and just received this newsflash from downunder...
ho ho ho! that must have taken you a long time to dream up!
½Image½Image

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:22 pm

It appears that the Ausies are sufficiently worried that their "Telegraph Newspaper" (which = in Ausie the UK Sun for interlectual readers) has organised an all night chorus of fans to sing and shout outside of the English teams hotel to prevent them from sleeping.

When they started shouting "boring boring" Clive Woodward admitted to the fact that he was in bed with his wife and thought that they were commenting on his capabilties in bed not as a coach! :roll:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 225936.stm

maxwell

Post by maxwell » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:23 pm

[quote="Peter Floyd"]To quote from the moto of the Cornish Rugby Club..I am sure maxwell will not mind.

FETHY PO FYLIEL AN GWARRY HA TRA NAHEN
Win or Lose, The Game and Nothing Else.

No problems. With the two Cornishmen in the team and pasties to follow along with copious amounts of Newquay Steam beer tomorrow is a good day to celebrate a Kernow/England win over the Pacific islanders.

We will steamroll the down unders.