Ice Hockey anyone?

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Ian

Post by Ian » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:50 pm

So the first of the playoff games have been played. All going with home advantage. I was at the Kärpä - Jokerit game on Saturday and it was a very bad tempered affair to say the least. Jokerit seemed to be determined to play dirty all the way through until the very end!! A friend of mine who was at the game with me has prepared this (slightly biased but entertaining match report) Its a bit Finnglish, but you should get the point! Enjoy!!

The war has started, the conclusions about the game is that OK main thing Kärpät leads 1-0 that is the most important.

Todays game "slaughterer" Metropolit is out due the crosscheck with the check to the Pesonen face, one eye bruised so bad
it can not be opened but he is a finnish fighter so he plays today ! Also Machulda is out due the groin injury.

Pyörälä got also at least one game = today suspension about the clean tackle with me, Ian, and Paul saw on the front of us live (can be seen in the film also)
to the Jalkanen who cowardly turned his back before the tackle. Unluckily cheeckbone was broken due that,
guy has been already been in surgery and is now fixed but Jokerit coach Jortikka = translated Dick is english is still crying that Jalkanen should sue Pyörälä.

No other suspensios so far ...

http://plus.kaleva.fi/video/031304.rm

Apparently Jokerit = Narrit = CLowns in english are not allowed to be tackled because they do not know how to prepare for the tackle.
They are also crying about Saarenheimo , there was a incident in the 1st period where Sean Bi Bergenheim tried to tackle
Saarenheimo fall down and hurt his foot => Sean Bi is out for the season ... but Dick is complaining that Saarenheimo did it by purpose.

Metropolit suspension will be decided today, I think the closest reference is Tie Domis incident about two years ago in the NHL playoffs
he similar way cowardly crosscheck Niedermayer when he was going to the bench for shift. The conclusion was 10 games suspension
so I am waiting the same, less is wrong more would be justified ...

Also it was a fact that Clowns tried to take Niklas Backstrom out of the game whole time with the cheap shots.
PC Drouin did not get nothing in the incident he attacked to Backstrom behind punching him to he neck after the end whistle
but Kärpät is not the team sending videos to be analyzed ... that is not good ... all weapons should be used ... also the coward ones ...

The 2nd game can be seen tonight on MTV3+ starting 18:15 ...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:36 am

Another good result for Kärpät!! a 3-2 win away from home! Although they made hard work of it! 3-0 up after 2 periods, 2 goals from Jokerit in the 3rd made it an exciting 20 minutes. The highlight seeing the Jokerit coach 'Dick' throwing a drinks bottle onto the ice and earning himself a 2 minute penalty!! Temper temper!! :lol:

I'm really looking forward to coming down to Helsinki for Fridays game!! With a bit of luck it will be the final game of this round for Kärpät!!

tgabawm

Post by tgabawm » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:41 pm

Ok, Lukko lost badly... was pathetic... but we'll make it! :D Friday BF (from Rauma, that explains) and I will be in Rauma to watch Lukko-HPK... Hopefully will be good, hopefully...
If the drop would say "I am unnecesary", there would be no ocean.
(M. Quoist)

Miss Jones

Post by Miss Jones » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:57 am

One ecstatic and extremely proud Ilves fan here! :D

Just kicking myself at turning down free tickets to last night's game on account that "HIFK will slaughter us"... Instead suffered by listening to the radio and demanding "what? WHAT?" every time the commentator said something I didn't understand. The highlights on Hockey Night were too brief. I'm sure they would show more if HIFK had won. So good to see the picture in HS this morning. 8) I might just wear my 70s Ilves jacket into town today and enjoy the glory while it lasts!

Hyvä Pitkämäki! Now if they could just ditch that terrible theme song.
Because something is happening here, but you don't know what it is, do you, Mister Jones?

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:07 am

Good result for Ilves!! Bad one for Kärpat!! I wasn't at the game but was told that the only saving feature of the game was when Antti Arnio elbowed Metropolit in the head. So well done there :lol: He got himself a 2+10, but never mind!!

The playoffs are looking like this....

TPS-Blues 2-1
Kärpät-Jokerit 2-1
HIFK-Ilves 1-2
HPK-Lukko 3-0

Roll on Friday and my first trip to the Hartwall Arena!!

Miss Jones

Post by Miss Jones » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:21 am

I hope that the result for Kärpät was just a blip for them. If Ilves can't win then I'd like to see Kärpät (or cowpat as my mum calls them - sorry!) do it.

I don't want to sound like a girly girl but Jokerit have been way too bolshy in the last couple of games. I don't squeal if somebody gets a black eye but really, they are disrupting the flow of the game. I prefer European hockey because it's less like boxing than NHL, but Jokerit have really been pushing their luck and nine times out of ten the ref turns a blind eye.

Hope the result at Hartwall goes your way, Ian.
Because something is happening here, but you don't know what it is, do you, Mister Jones?

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:11 am

I'm struggling to keep interested in the SM-Liiga. Teams play each other so many times the results seem pretty meaningless. Especially as the team that finishes 10th in the regular season could in theory win the whole competition via the play offs. Ive not been to a game recently but most arenas look half empty - I think even Finns are losing interest.

The best game I've been to was TPS v. some Swedish team(dont remember name) a few years ago. There was real passion from the teams and the crowd.

Maybe they should combine the Swedish/Finnish leagues to make the league bigger(teams play each othe fewer times) and create more intense rivalry.
½Image½Image

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:19 am

You should come up to Oulu!! The last home game of the regular season was against TPS and we couldn't a ticket because it was sold out. Maybe Kärpäts ice hall is a bit smaller (7000 people) but there is always a great atmosphere, especially now the playoffs have started its getting even better!!
I've seen places like the Hartwall arena on the tv with loads of empty seats, but it is a much bigger venue!!