That Canadian tennis player Greg Rusedski

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:33 pm

Its funny how some of the British Newspapers are calling him Canadian now ;-)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

BAT

Post by BAT » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:41 pm

I wondered if he was Canadian because of his accent. Of course, now that he is under investigation for drugs it is best to make a clarification. :x If he was winning in the tournaments and had no drug investigation going on, I'm sure he'd still be English. :D

Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:44 pm

BAT wrote:I wondered if he was Canadian because of his accent. Of course, now that he is under investigation for drugs it is best to make a clarification. :x If he was winning in the tournaments and had no drug investigation going on, I'm sure he'd still be English. :D
Yep he was Canadian. But he's been representing Britain for a while now. I don't know if he's change his citizenship or if its some commonwealth loophole or something.

BAT

Post by BAT » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:08 pm

There are many Canadians with English ancestry who try to get a British passport. I'm not sure what the regulations are, but there is some kind of system for that which makes it quite easy.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:09 pm

He at least blew the whistle on himself as soon as he was told that he had been tested +ve he did not wait for "leaks to the press" he made a statement telling the world that he had failed.
The results of the test would not have been made public until next week but he is playing in a a tournment in Adelaide and apparently wanted no come bcks should he do well in it...
He spent most of last year with his leg in plaster I suspect that this banned substance ws given to him as part of the treatment by accident some unkowing quack.
Oh why does he play for Britain?...his mum is English and his dad was originally German, with Polish-Ukranian parents, hence the Polish surname of Rusedski.
But he was born in Canada.
http://freespace.virgin.net/greg.rusedski/history.htm
He could have chosed any one from three he chose Britain because his girl is English and he spends most of his time there.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:49 pm

The results of the test would not have been made public until next week but he is playing in a a tournment in Adelaide and apparently wanted no come bcks should he do well in it...

Errr.. he went out in the second round, shortly before he went public, IIRC.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:46 am

WLM wrote:The results of the test would not have been made public until next week but he is playing in a a tournment in Adelaide and apparently wanted no come bcks should he do well in it...

Errr.. he went out in the second round, shortly before he went public, IIRC.
Daah wrong Ausi City sorry I should of said Sydney...he is still playing there
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/3388061.stm

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:26 am

It may be too early to say, but I think he could be Canadian again soon...

He's currently a set and a break down (6-4, 5-2) to Costa in the first round of the Oz Open... but people have recovered from worse.

Ooops, correction... TWO sets down... 6-4, 6-3. He's got a mountain to climb now, but of course if he does it, all will be totally forgiven, and he'll be officially awarded the tabloid clean-as-a-whistle prize.

Have to find out in the morning. I wouldn't bet on him.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:47 pm

corellianc

Post by corellianc » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:10 pm

[British population incrememted by one, restored to pre-scandal level] :wink:

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:34 pm

What a fine British player he is!

Proud I am that he hails from the same shores as I!

Happy am I that the disturbance in the Matrix has been repaired.

Rumours that Greg is Canadian can now be lain to rest.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:38 pm

Dusty: Just wait till he loses to a qualifier from Mali in the first round at Wimbledon.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:44 pm

No worries, we just adopt the guy from Mali as well and then support him as the underdog right through to the next round...

stig

Post by stig » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:41 pm

He never bloody won anything when he was taking nandrolone. Christ knows how bad he's going to be now he's stopped taking it....
"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:59 am

Greg was spotted yesterday out celebrating

½Image½Image