SELF DEFENCE CLASSES IN ESPOO ?

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
chomeldvery

Post by chomeldvery » Fri May 23, 2008 2:09 pm

MOI EVERYBODY,

I'M YANI FROM MALAYSIA AND JUST NEW HERE....I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS THERE ANY SELF DEFENCE CLASSES SUCH AS TAEKWONDO IN ESPOO AREA...I LIVE AT AVARUUSKATU 3, OLARI...PLEASE REPLY....THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Johnny_Peebucks

Re: SELF DEFENCE CLASSES IN ESPOO ?

Post by Johnny_Peebucks » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:45 am

There is plenty of Martial Arts classes in Helsinki.

Tae Kwon Do does not teach self defence it is a sport and very impractical for self defence purposes...TKD is all high kicks...you don;t want to do a jumping spinning reverse kick when you are in an elevator or on an icey road.

I think there is Brazillian Jiu-jitsu in Espoo and MMA...go there, they're good guys.
Master of KUNG-FU, KARATE, JIU-JITSU, and all kinds of other !"#¤% you ain't never heard of!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:04 am

Now in the Autumn when the classes start, the local stores down there, the S-market billboard or the library will probably have a poster of whats starting nearby... but depending if where you're studying (HOAS luxury address ;) ) you might find something close to there. And classes... I think theres any given budo sport and a few more like krav maga and such available... self-defence in itself as in not a long sport theres a few classes, usually Töölö sportshall has the more exotic ones running.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Aikon-

Post by Aikon- » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:12 pm

http://www.hwarang.net/cms/yhteystiedot

this taek won do hall is about half km from your apartment. :)

tissot

Post by tissot » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:25 pm

Here's one http://www.kamppailuopisto.com/
Living 300 meters from it and have a friend that have been going there for some time now.

Suomen Kamppailuopisto
Kotitontuntie 1
02200 ESPOO

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:54 am

pridez wrote:I want to know if there's a weapon classes, I want to know all techniques in handling weapon.
There is no culture of 'rightful' self defense in Finland in a way that under certain circumstances you would by default get away with it. Using a weapon (of any kind) even on an assailant may be considered use of excessive force, and carrying a weapon in public is criminalized. Also, self defense is generally not accepted as grounds for a firearm permit. AFAIK, weapon training in martial arts is taught only for more advanced students, not just anyone, so most likely you will not find any courses teaching weapon use for self defense purposes (protecting yourself from an attack, yes, but not using a weapon).

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:47 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: AFAIK, weapon training in martial arts is taught only for more advanced students, not just anyone, so most likely you will not find any courses teaching weapon use for self defense purposes (protecting yourself from an attack, yes, but not using a weapon).
I think you are responding to spam there..

But, there are plenty of weapon systems out there that only teach weapon against weapon or weapon against empty hand. So basically, you learn it from lesson one. Kobudo and escrima being 2...then of course you have the Japanese 'sword' disciplines, kendo, iaido, iaijutsu.
Black Flag kills ants on contact

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:43 am

AnamArtin wrote:i personally attend to a self defense class.. but know what' i still always bring a stun gun or a pepper spray with me so when martial defenses bring me down, i have an extra self defense.. thats the way it is.. :)
While the spammer bumped this thread:
stun gun or pepper spray aren't illegal anymore (the law hasn't changed, but the interpretation is), but you can't carry them in public. Having one at home or in a car would be a ok, but having one in a bag or pocket will get you slapped with fine.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

creole

Post by creole » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:23 am

We might be a bit of a distance from Espoo, but VERY BLACK CORNER in Kevatkumpu is " THE ONLY TRAINING LOCATION" in eastern Finland if not the whole of Finland that has a complete Mixed MArtial Arts Program + Cross Fit & MMA FITNESS, with Profesional coaches. This Autuum Team Street Blast offer a complete training option courses / classes dailly from Monday to Thursday between 5pm to 9pm, for only 50 euros monthly..

for more info check out my other post title Mixed MArtial Art, Fitness & Self Defence on here..