ICEBIKE!!!

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Niall Shaky

ICEBIKE!!!

Post by Niall Shaky » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:39 pm

http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm
Bikes on Ice? You're Kidding, Right?

Maybe you just found this web site while looking for something else. If so about now you are wondering just how crazy these folks are. Plenty!

Contrary to popular opinion, the bicycle makes a fairly good winter vehicle. This is not to suggest that care can be thrown to the winds. But with proper skill and technique, the bike provides safe and reliable transportation. It always starts, regardless of how cold it is. There are studded tires that make the most wicked slick ice manageable. It is easy to find a parking space, and it never gets stuck in the snow. Well, almost never.

Much of winter cycling is done on roads that are bare, no ice anywhere. In these conditions, the only concern is the weather. If you would go skiing or play hockey in cold weather, then ICEBIKING is not very different. All it takes is the will, a reliable bike, dressing for the weather, getting out in the snow, and learning a few new bike handling skills.

The hardest part is the first 100 yards. Mother Nature is not your Enemy!

Whether commuting to work, or just out for a romp in the woods, you arrive feeling very alive, refreshed, and surrounded with the aura of a cycling god. You will be looked upon with the smile of respect by friends and co-workers. - - - Or was that the sneer of derision...no matter, ICEBIKING is a blast!

So come on in and explore this web site, and see if maybe you will be tempted to dig that trusty steed out of the basement, pump up the tires, and pump up your life

ICEBIKE!!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:40 pm

May as well have headed this as "FAO Handsome"

Stu, others? You know where I can get studded mountain bike tires in Helsinki? I think I might have a go at this...

8)

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:01 pm

Niall Shaky wrote:May as well have headed this as "FAO Handsome"

Stu, others? You know where I can get studded mountain bike tires in Helsinki? I think I might have a go at this...

8)
Got studded bike tyres in CityMarket..

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:05 pm

Biltaema: €15

best get motor bike with spiked tryes though eh?
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:21 pm

Well... the whole idea is to fit in some exercise that won't take too much time. In the summer I can ride to work. Takes 45 minutes and I really enjoy it. I have to get to work anyway, and the Metro takes about 35-40 minutes. So I could be cycling 90 minutes a day instead of sitting on my ass. Factor in an extra half hour for changing/showering and then you can see how much more time efficient it is than going to the gym. Sorry to sound anal but free time is in short supply these days! :(

But anyway I did some research into nastarengät on the way home:

1) Kauppa Veljet, Anankatu
Nokian 296: €55 euro each
Cheaper Nokian: €45 euro each

2) "The other shop on Anankatu", just down the road from KV
Nokian 296: €55 each
Some Taiwanese brand; €25 each

3) Bike shop in Itäkeskus.
Nokian 296: €50 each
Cheaper Nokian: €45 each (I think, this guy was a bit difficult to follow)

Note these are all for mountain bikes. You can get road bike versions cheaper. €35 each for Nokians in Itis.

I also checked CityMarket in Itis. No bike tyres that I could find.

I got good service in Kauppa Veljet (also when I bought my bike there nearly 3 years ago) and they had a good selection of head-lamps compared to everywhere else, so I reckon I'll go back there and try and get a deal on good headlight and some Nokian 296s.

I'm also swayed by the following from the review of Nokian 296 tyres on Icebike:
My advice: skip the homemade junk and the cheap stuff, save your $$ and buy the best. They will last you a lifetime and will be worth every dollar spent. Look at it this way: Do you drive your car in the winter with summer tires, or unstudded tires or with homemade studded tires? Do you feel safe doing that? If not, then why ride a bike w/o the right tires. These tires make winter riding a whole different sport now.
(I'm just waiting for Hank to spot this thread and wade on in telling me what a soft foreign shyte I am for wanting winter tyres on my bike :D )

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:43 pm

Maxi Leppävaara has nokians for € 35 each. I don't remember if it's the 296.
The guy at the bike store in Itäkeskus sold the 296 to me also for € 35 each. I had to insist, though, that € 45 was waaaaay too much.

If you go out, give me a yell, I'm definately in!

It's old new, btw. I used to do that already back when I was 12 years old, with the BMX, without spikes. Great excercise for your balance.

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:02 pm

Arno wrote: The guy at the bike store in Itäkeskus sold the 296 to me also for € 35 each.
Thanks for the tip :wink:

I'll go in and check his lights selection again and then try and cut a deal for good halogen lamp plus a pair of 296s. If the guy gives me the same deal as you got there's a beer in it for you some time 8)

Arno, did you do some riding with Stu "Handsome" and Neil last year? I was the guy who was definitely going to come, but ended up working until the last metro from Ruoholahti that sunday night :oops:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:57 am

Niall Shaky wrote:(I'm just waiting for Hank to spot this thread and wade on in telling me what a soft foreign shyte I am for wanting winter tyres on my bike )
No, I'd just be telling you something along the lines that only witless or foreign shytes would have a bike out in the winter in the first place, any sensible person looks at the calendar and the snow and stays inside until it all melts. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:23 am

8)
I got mine from the mountain bike shop behind Forum. Can't remember the name of the place, but I think it's on the opposite corner of Alcatraz, I think. (Dunno what kind of place that is... :shock: ) I think they only stock Nokian winter tyres. Prices start out ok for small metal nobbles, and start getting more expensive as they turn into 'spikes'.

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:28 am

neil wrote:best get motor bike with spiked tryes though eh?
Indeed! :twisted:

Watch this space...

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:36 am

Handsome wrote:

8)
I got mine from the mountain bike shop behind Forum. Can't remember the name of the place, but I think it's on the opposite corner of Alcatraz, I think. (Dunno what kind of place that is... :shock: ) I think they only stock Nokian winter tyres. Prices start out ok for small metal nobbles, and start getting more expensive as they turn into 'spikes'.
You're talking about Kauppa Veljet. Great shop with good stock (much better than any other shop in Helsinki I think). But a bit pricey.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:33 pm

Niall Shaky wrote: Arno, did you do some riding with Stu "Handsome" and Neil last year? I was the guy who was definitely going to come, but ended up working until the last metro from Ruoholahti that sunday night :oops:
Yep, we did!
Haven't seen Neil around, though. It's been just Stu and myself, except for once, when Julia (xgirl) came along.

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:59 pm

Riding motorbikes on ice sounds like much more fun to me!! :lol: I was at the world ice speedway champs a week ago and it was great. Unfortunatley it has made the urge to get my bike out of the garage and do something silly!! Maybe I'll resist until May 1st arrives. Untill then I'll be doing a bit of riding on my mountain bike. Not wasting my time with studded tires either!! Just adds to the excitement!! :twisted:

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:32 pm

Hank W. wrote:
Niall Shaky wrote:(I'm just waiting for Hank to spot this thread and wade on in telling me what a soft foreign shyte I am for wanting winter tyres on my bike )
No, I'd just be telling you something along the lines that only witless or foreign shytes would have a bike out in the winter in the first place, any sensible person looks at the calendar and the snow and stays inside until it all melts. :mrgreen:
But, in my 3 years in Finland I have learned that it is never too icey or snowy for some little old lady to be tooling along the bike path at a fair rate of knots. Always look both ways when crossing the bike path, no matter what the weather!!! :o

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:14 am

Maybe this ICEBIKING would be a good alternative for the Polar Bear Contest that never went... :?: