My man has finnaly gone

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
simon

My man has finnaly gone

Post by simon » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:29 am

Well old Scotty Parker has all but gone to Chelski...... the revolution continues.

I and a lot of Charlton fans are dissapointed with his decision to go at such an important time of the season, what with being 4th and doing so well. he has been a vital player for us to achieve the postion we are in and he could have waited till the end of the season. Maybe he thought that this was his chance and if he had waited then Chelsea would have got someone else, cant blame him but....and its a big but

The other thing is will he gain regular first team football??? This wil spoil his chances of his outside chance of making euro2004, but maybe he has thought of all that.

My man has finnaly gone

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:02 am

poor you :cry: ...for a while i thought you had been dumped :wink:

You just have to face the fact that charlton are not a 'big' club. Enjoy the league position for now, the only way is down!
½Image½Image

junot

Post by junot » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:35 am

JasonS wrote:poor you :cry: ...for a while i thought you had been dumped :wink:

You just have to face the fact that charlton are not a 'big' club. Enjoy the league position for now, the only way is down!
He will probably get much more pleasure from showing loyalty to his 'little' club, irrespective of their league position, than following the sheep to support a more 'fashionable' club.
Although, at least for tomorrow, I hope that Parker is sorely missed :wink:
phil_h

simon

Post by simon » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:56 am

I do think he will be missed but junot I think tomorrow will be a bad day at the office for your boys.

As for Jason Watford are not exactly massive but I agree with you Charlton are not a big club but I disagree the only way will be up and Chelsea better watch out.

You wonder if they bought him to stop us catching them?

junot

Post by junot » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:34 am

simon wrote:As for Jason Watford are not exactly massive but I agree with you Charlton are not a big club but I disagree the only way will be up and Chelsea better watch out.
There will always be arguments about what defines a big club, but there aren't many around these days if it is judged on financial stability. Charlton seem to be doing ok on that front and now there is an extra £10m in the bank.
Are Watford in a financial mess? I expected them to be ok when they didn't spend much after promotion, but I guess Vialli must have wasted a fair bit?
As for Bolton, they are struggling to keep the debts under £40, although most of that is from the new stadium.
phil_h

simon

Post by simon » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:39 pm

Charlton didnt need the money, it was never the money although the way they held out just pushes the price up. What do you do when a club with unlimited funds comes along and wants your best player, a bit of a poker player Varney seemed to be in that one.

I quite agree about what defines a big club. If you want to go back to the 50's charlton had one of the biggest stduims in the country and week in week out were regularly getting 50/60 thou. You could look at a lot of clubs nowadays who once were big clubs but are really just sleeping giants. It all goes with how well the club are doing on the pitch. Once your team starts doing well then the fans that would have stayed at home rather than going to the game will soon come back. Cant give you any stats on this one I bet Ace would but when MU in the early 80's where mid table contenders what the crowd following was then not as big as nowadays. Also with the game getting more exciting and more 'big stars' playing in the PL its more entertaining, some would say the most entertaining in Europe????

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:48 pm

Good luck to Charlton, I really hope you can keep up in those lofty reaches. It seems a long way down to where my team are struggling. You've come a long way since you left the Valley and nearly merged with another S London club(palace or dons i cant remember)

I'm maybe a bit jealousy looking at your current position, but I remember when your team were looking at ruin. We are now just about surviving after the Vialli/ITV Digital disaster when the board took too big risks, but being a football fan there is always that blind hope that things will turn out alright and maybe we can do a 'Charlton'.

I also remember when my team climbed up finished 2nd in the old 1st division sanwiched between Liverpool and ManU. Whilst Charlton might be a bit 'bigger' than Watford I think it will be an almost impossible task for you to stay up there, especially if/when Curbishly gets tempted away. Enjoy it for now!

Wow 10 million though, sounds good business to me.
½Image½Image

junot

Post by junot » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:05 pm

according to this site the Charlton-Bolton game is on live tomorrow.....dunno where though?

http://www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/
phil_h

simon

Post by simon » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:38 am

Your boys done us junot :twisted:

It was a good chance to get a gap between us and the resr and we blew it. You watch when we hit the 40 point mark the team will fall away, happens every year.

Also I saw that Djokiev or whatever you know who I mean says that he'll quit if Bolton do get European football!!!!!

Do you think that is a possibility?? Not even sure we will make that postition.

junot

Post by junot » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:54 am

simon wrote:Your boys done us junot :twisted:

Also I saw that Djokiev or whatever you know who I mean says that he'll quit if Bolton do get European football!!!!!

Do you think that is a possibility?? Not even sure we will make that postition.
He is due to retire at the end of this season but he seems to be saying that he would put it on hold if he can have one last season in europe. Hopefully we will win the Carling Cup :)
Bolton seem to have a good record at the valley - 7 points in the last 3 seasons.
phil_h