Loskabike!

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Niall Shaky

Loskabike!

Post by Niall Shaky » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:25 am

Well, last night I shoe-horned my new Nokian 296s on to my mountain bike and this morning at about 7.45 I set off for work.

In the summer this can be a very pleasant experience. Pair of shades, cycling shorts, t-shirt, sun on my face. Starting off from Myllypuro, down into the Hertoniemi forest, to Kulosaari, across the bridge to Sörnäinen. Häkäniemenranta, Katajanoka, Kauppatori (sometimes a wee break for coffee if I'm not in a rush), Esplanadi, Bulevardi, then finally to work in Ruoholahti, total distance 15 km, total time 45 mins.

Today... I decided not to go through the forest due to the massive amounts of snow and loska that would still be there and instead did a dog-leg via Siilitie and Hertoniemi industrial area. Probably added about 3km in distance, I guess. Battling the traffic, dodging the pedestrians and fighting the conditions.

I was actually really surprised by how difficult the going was today. I have unfortunately let my fitness deteriorate too much since the summer, so I guess that was the major factor.

But then after that I think the next thing was the massive rolling resistance that the 296s have. This is most noticeable when riding on fairly clear gravel or tarmac on the city bike paths. I really felt like I was cycling underwater, all my instincts were telling me I should be going much quicker for the effort I was putting in.

Having said that, earlier in the ride there were some veeeery dodgy patches of wet ice where I am sure I would have been totally @#$% with normal tyres.

The winter clothes also made things pretty tough. I got it right on the bottom half (just a pair of cycling shorts and waterproof trousers), but the heavy fleece under the goretex coat was total overkill. Really should have replaced the fleece with a t-shirt. By Kulosaari I was drenched in sweat. I was also carrying a big rucksack with laptop, a few books, clothes, towel etc.

The journey was really challenging (or rather something of an ordeal!), it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes. It will be quite a while before I feel like riding in these conditions for pleasure (Arno, Stu!).

But on the plus side, it was brilliant exercise and if I do this in the winter I'll be quick as lightning when the snow melts and I put the road tyres back on :ochesey:

So I'll leave the bike here at work tonight and then ride home tomorrow.

Loskabike!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:35 am

It can be tough keeping fit in Finland in the winter, the running and rowing machines in the gym are the only decent exercise I get, in the summer its easy to run/cycle outside etc