Fuming Valencia fans sue referee!

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:53 am

Fuming Valencia fans sue referee

Supporters claim official committed professional negligence

Tom Lester
Thursday February 19, 2004
The Guardian

A group of Valencia supporters plans to take legal action against the referee Pedro Tristante Oliva for awarding a last-minute penalty against their team in last Sunday's Spanish league match with Real Madrid.

Some 30 fans have said they hold Tristante Oliva, together with the Spanish football federation, responsible for "the penalty mistake" and have demanded one euro per person for causing them distress.

"We want the error to be publicly acknowledged and compensation paid as professional negligence has been committed," said Andrés Sanchís, the lawyer representing the supporters.

Tristante Oliva ruled that the defender Carlos Marchena had fouled Raúl González in injury time, with Valencia leading 1-0 and about to rise above Madrid into top place in the table. Luis Figo converted the kick.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

maxwell

Post by maxwell » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:12 pm

That's one reason why the Spanish should NEVER get their silly hands on the Rock.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:04 am

hey, what sort of prejudicement is that against spaniards? that is not nice..
if someone is to mock them it's us, portuguese, putting up with them for centuries :D :D :D lol

if this were to go trough would be the end of football as we know it..

ps:what's The Rock?

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:12 am

ajdias wrote: ps:what's The Rock?
A little piece of England (*sniff*), a bastion of our former imperial glory (*sob*), a place where you can buy PG Tips and Hobnobs and probably Maltesers, too (*sniff, pass the onion, someone*), and an excellent little tax haven, also known as Gibraltar.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

Satiro

Post by Satiro » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:54 am

As a spaniard and Real Madrid supporter I've to acknowledge...

*That was not a penalty, and less in the 92 minute. All the people who have seen it agree in that point.

*Gibraltar is gonna be british for centuries, mainly because is a tax haven, as WLM said. Many spaniards could keep saying wahtever they want, but also Spain has colonies in North Africa... :?

That's one reason why the Spanish should NEVER get their silly hands on the Rock.
:shock: I don't see any links between the two facts...
Aut tace aut loquere miliora silentio

Satiro

Post by Satiro » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:58 am

I just remember that Suomenlinna is called "the Gibraltar of the North"
Well, I think it would resemble much more to Gibraltar if it was still swedish :? , fortunately it's not like that :)

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:18 am

I just love following Spanish football. I don't get to watch any of it (until we get cable, which is coming soon!), but this guy Sid Lowe who writes for the Guardian covers it so well.

I love reading about the stuff that goes on. The passion and lunacy. It's one of my ambitions to see Barcelona stuff the Galacticos at the Camp Nou. Or Barcelona get stuffed at the Bernabau.

maxwell

Post by maxwell » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:15 am

Quote:

I don't see any links between the two facts...

I didn't think you would, being Spanish and all. If the Rock were to be handed to the Spanish there would be an outbreak of MTD in Gib'.
Mentally Transmitted Disease.

We can't have that now, can we?

Satiro

Post by Satiro » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:26 pm

Niall Shaky wrote:I just love following Spanish football. I don't get to watch any of it (until we get cable, which is coming soon!), but this guy Sid Lowe who writes for the Guardian covers it so well.

I love reading about the stuff that goes on. The passion and lunacy. It's one of my ambitions to see Barcelona stuff the Galacticos at the Camp Nou. Or Barcelona get stuffed at the Bernabau.
Yeah!.. it's crazy, I remember when I was living in London, there's no the same passion about football. Between Madrid and Barcelona is much more rivalry than Arsenal and Man. Utd., it's not only football, it's also politics... but now with the Galacticos it's like they MUST win always, and a team is not only a group of number ones, it has work like a unit.

I think in England you can see spanish football through sky tv, I dunno about Finland.

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:31 pm

Satiro wrote:Between Madrid and Barcelona is much more rivalry than Arsenal and Man. Utd
Ah but Arsenal and Man Utd aren't really rivals, try Man Utd v Man City/Leeds/Liverpool or Bolton. Its a North West England game really ;-)

Our nickname for Arsenals ground is the Libary :!: You won't find much passion at Londons bigger clubs!

Satiro

Post by Satiro » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:31 pm

maxwell wrote:Quote:

I don't see any links between the two facts...

I didn't think you would, being Spanish and all. If the Rock were to be handed to the Spanish there would be an outbreak of MTD in Gib'.
Mentally Transmitted Disease.

We can't have that now, can we?
Well, could be terrible... people driving in the right side, paying taxes... even the cows (Are they in Gibraltar?) could get sane... :twisted:
maxwell, have you any spanish ex-gf or something like that? :wink:

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:55 pm

WLM wrote: A little piece of England (*sniff*), a bastion of our former imperial glory (*sob*), a place where you can buy PG Tips and Hobnobs and probably Maltesers, too (*sniff, pass the onion, someone*), and an excellent little tax haven, also known as Gibraltar.
Of course! why did I think it had anything to do with sports :?:
You guys did not have many problems handing over HK, why should you have now? Isnt it about time to leave the peninsula??
Last edited by ajdias on Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:11 pm

You guys can take Gibralter if you'll also take Benidorm and Loretta Del Mar as well :wink:

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:39 pm

We could throw in Marbella, but only if they keep all the residents, too. :)
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:39 am

More from the Real Penalty fandango, written by the excellent Sid Lowe in The Guardian:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/continen ... 78,00.html