Do you think Greece will be ready for the Olympic Games?

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
BAT

Post by BAT » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:41 pm

I have seen some reports on BBC World, including pictures of the current state of some of the facilities. It isn't looking good...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:01 pm

I think they will yes. The stadia looked a mess on TV, but it looks like they have all the structure built, its mostly cosmetic touches now. When you look at how long they have left and whats needed Im convinced there going to make it :!:
Last edited by Ace on Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:01 pm

Shake of head from side to side as head says..no way. :roll: .but love of the crazy Greeks who I spend every summer with..most of whom dont care as long as the sun shines and the wine is cool. :wink: .my heart says ..I hope so.
BBC says.."lots of project are stalled..many are behind schedule" and the clock ticks on towards August..spring is in the air in Athens and Costas (Manager of construction site xyz) will go and kick his olive tree to see what falls out..
If it is a dozen JCBs and 5000 Irish workers..the job will get done..if it is just olives. :roll: .he will sit down and eat the olives and wait for someone else to do the work. :wink:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3541965.stm

tgabawm

Post by tgabawm » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:34 pm

They'll do ok, but far from the original plan they've been awarded the olympics for.
If the drop would say "I am unnecesary", there would be no ocean.
(M. Quoist)

simon

Post by simon » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:53 pm

Im sure this will be done on time. The IOC must have some sort of guarentee from the Greek goverment stating the the work will be completed on time otherwise the greeks will have to pay a compensation price.

I worked on Euro Disney on the construction and a few months before the official opening the place was far from finished and you would never have thought that it would have been finished but a few ghost sessions later and it was all on schedule.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:41 am

Greece has officially asked NATO to assist in security during the Olympics.
I think it was a good thing of them to ask, because they wouldn't have managed alone.

Ofcourse if someone wants something to happen, there's probably always a way to get in, but at least this is a step in the good direction.

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:15 am

I am very pessimistic about it. There's gonna be a huge terror attack in Athens during the Olympic Games. It just feels like it. The certaint powers are not gonna miss the occasion and will do the best to hit. This is how I feel about it and I really really hope nothing will happen.
G.S.

Make war with love

BAT

Post by BAT » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:30 pm

Samppa, I share the same worries. I'm learning not to underestimate how horrible and coniving humans can be.

If Olympic construction is being done last minute, how well are the security preparations being looked after?

If there was an attack in some of the Olympic structures, have they been built with high enough quality standards to protect people?

If the attacks don't happen in Greece, my thoughts are that the UK might be attacked while the world is focusing on the games.