Any sailors out there?

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
darkside

Any sailors out there?

Post by darkside » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:50 pm

Scanning the posts here it seems that most of you are interested in chasing balls around 8) but I am wondering if there is anyone else interested in sailing? What with the weather tempting thoughts of a slight thaw and ideas of balmy summer days out in the archipeligo got me thinking. Personally I have a 25' wooden Folkboat. I'd be interested to hear of other foreigners sailing here, particularly in the Helsinki region. Certainly worth getting together for a beer sometime! :wink:

Let me know if you are out there!

Andy

Any sailors out there?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:13 am

I wouldn't mind crewing for you, Andy.

Also contact 'Gelkin', he's a mate of mine. He crewed quite a lot last year on some Finland - Estonia races.

Stu

gelkin

Post by gelkin » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:10 pm

Hi,
I got a international 5m wooden boat. Doing work to it at the mo. Should be ready by the beginning of the season. I own 50% with a drunk FIN ;) so fingers crossed!!! So if you want any company give us a shout?

--
David
SELECT * FROM users WHERE got_a_clue>0;
----------------------------------------------------
0 rows returned;

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:23 pm

I haven't sailed in years, but have an ocean yachtmaster certificate (Just the theory exam). Like handsome I'd be happy to volunteer as crew. :D

shazman

Post by shazman » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:25 am

I thought this was a gay pick up line..... :oops:
Image Image Anteeksi, olen ulkomalainen!

darkside

Post by darkside » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:36 am

Hi again!

Well, great that there are a few of us here! Certainly you are all welcome to come out sometime during the summer, although I have a permanent crew of wife and 2 small kids :) I'd like to get involved with the Folkboat racing here, but tend to be at work when the races are on (Tuesday evenings if I remember right). We usually manage to do the Tuoppi though!

Stu, where is your 5m now? Would be nice to check it out. Our boat is in Kaivopuisto near Carosel cafe, we also have a mooring just there - good for ice-creams in the summer!

Richard, if you have Ocean Yachtmaster, presumably you know how to use a sextant? I'd really like to learn - do you have one here? I have been planning to do RYA Yachtmaster but sailing here is like 100% pilotage and not much else, so I am always a bit rusty with the tide calculations when go back to UK!

Are you guys up for a beer sometime? Can you get to the city centre in the evenings ok?

greetings

Andy

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:06 pm

darkside wrote:Stu, where is your 5m now? Would be nice to check it out.
Hi Andy! It's (Dave) Gelkin who owns the 5m. It's on its stand at his boat partners Grandparents' place in Espoo. ...where it's been for far too long. :wink: They're still repairing it.
darkside wrote:Our boat is in Kaivopuisto near Carosel cafe, we also have a mooring just there - good for ice-creams in the summer!
I have a friend who keeps his boat down there, too. A small(ish) cabin cruiser. An evening sail wouldn't be any problem there.
darkside wrote:Are you guys up for a beer sometime? Can you get to the city centre in the evenings ok?
Not really - teetotal. :wink: You're welcome to buy me a lemonade, though! I live in Helsinki, so just drop me a line next time you're down this way. (your location says 'Turku'. Is that right?)

I'll PM you witha few contact details.

Stu

Paul 000

sailing

Post by Paul 000 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:30 pm

I have a Hyllard Back in the UK. Dose anybody do any sailing a little closer to Tampere.

darkside

Monday 19th April - Beer?

Post by darkside » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:11 pm

Hi everyone!

As Paul from Tampere is coming to Helsinki next week, maybe we can all get it together to meet up on Monday 19th April for a beer? I was thinking Molly Malones (Kaisaniemenkatu), downstairs, about 19:30? Does that work for the rest of you? MM's is nice and central anyway (and has good beer ;-))

cheers

Andy

BAT

Post by BAT » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:29 pm

Would some of you consider training new boat crew? :D

Handsome

Re: Monday 19th April - Beer?

Post by Handsome » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:49 pm

darkside wrote:Hi everyone!

As Paul from Tampere is coming to Helsinki next week, maybe we can all get it together to meet up on Monday 19th April for a beer? I was thinking Molly Malones (Kaisaniemenkatu), downstairs, about 19:30? Does that work for the rest of you? MM's is nice and central anyway (and has good beer ;-))
19th should be ok for me. I'll let Tony S know.

How about Carusel instead? That we we can take a look at your boat.

Stu

Richard

Re: Monday 19th April - Beer?

Post by Richard » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:36 pm

Handsome wrote:
darkside wrote:Hi everyone!

19th should be ok for me. I'll let Tony S know.

How about Carusel instead? That we we can take a look at your boat.

Stu
19th is fine by me, I'm easy on location. Stu has my phone number.

darkside

Post by darkside » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:07 pm

OK, Carusel is fine too. Matilda is still under winter wraps, but it is about time they came off anyway. So let's make it a date then, Mon 19.4 19:30 at Carusel.

Looking forward to it!

Andy

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:49 am

I'll be there!

Stu