Who's going to win Euro 2004?

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.

Who's going to win Euro 2004?

Greece
No votes
Portugal
10%
Russia
2%
Spain
No votes
Croatia
No votes
England
17%
France
21%
Switzerland
No votes
Bulgaria
4%
Denmark
No votes
Italy
10%
Sweden
2%
Czech Republic
10%
Germany
4%
Netherlands
19%

Total votes: 48

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:42 am

THe English gutter press have exceeded them-selves yet again..

Somehow they got hold of (and published) the private telephone number and e-mail address, home address, of the ref who disallowed the "goal" by Sol Campbell..Net result his home was draped in an English flag his wife/family bombared by 24 hour phone calls..etc etc..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 846643.stm

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:50 am

A foul on the goalkeeper is a very frequently occuring foul during a game. Players want to score so much they get carried away and forget the goalkeepers safety.

Im not convinced it was a correct decision. However its a very easy mistake to make as a ref, especially if most of the players are in the penalty box, vision can be obscured somewhat.

I would say most refs are more likely to award any bad challenge between GK and player in the 6 yard box where it was unclear who was at fault to the goalkeeper as well.

Otherwise a penalty and possible red card for the GK would be mandatory.

I had a similar decision to make 2 weeks ago. The GK played dangerously and dived into an attacker. I gave a penalty. It was a very unpopular decision.

Either way the ref pisses someone off. If he had awarded the goal the Portugese would have said it was a foul on the keeper. People need to get a grip on reality though. Harrassing the guy like that after the game. It wasn't even a blatant mistake he made, it was a tough one to call :!:

Portugal were the better team on the night anyway :!:

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:19 am

luddite wrote:A foul on the goalkeeper is a very frequently occuring foul during a game. Players want to score so much they get carried away and forget the goalkeepers safety.

Im not convinced it was a correct decision. However its a very easy mistake to make as a ref, especially if most of the players are in the penalty box, vision can be obscured somewhat.
Funnily everyone besides english people is convinced it was a right decision, the uefa even made a statement in this direction ;)
Can you spell "SORE LOSERS"?
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:24 am

pierrot wrote:Funnily everyone besides english people is convinced it was a right decision, the uefa even made a statement in this direction ;)
Ah but the reason Im not convinved is because I've only seen it once. Im not a sore loser. If UEFA said it was correct after viewing the incident on video then im sure it was a correct decision.

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:28 am

luddite wrote:
pierrot wrote:Funnily everyone besides english people is convinced it was a right decision, the uefa even made a statement in this direction ;)
Ah but the reason Im not convinved is because I've only seen it once. Im not a sore loser. If UEFA said it was correct after viewing the incident on video then im sure it was a correct decision.
You only saw it ONCE? it was shown again and again during the game already!
Terry clearly obstructs ricardo in the goalzone. Thats a clear foul.
In some picture you can even see how he has his arm is over Ricardo´s shoulder, making it quite difficult for the portuguese to jump.
But the portuguese keeper should have got a yellow card for his nice chitchat with Beckham right before his penalty, and I would have sent him off with yellow-red for the second time he tried to make his show at the penalties. Very unfair player.
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:30 am

pierrot wrote:Can you spell "SORE LOSERS"?
huono häviäjä...are there ever happy losers?

Did not notice many smiling faces when the French lost to Greece or the Germans lost to Cz....

By the way I do not agree that it was a bad decision..it was a very close call..but I give the Ref the nod that he had to make a instant choice and the goal keeper was obtructed..whether deliberatley. :?: ..60/50 in GK favour..
Bottom line is that IMO Beckham booted the semi final place over the cross bar!

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:30 am

pierrot wrote:You only saw it ONCE? it was shown again and again during the game already!
Well I saw it during the game and dont remember thinking it was wrong at the time. I've not seen it since though. Being drinking and eating all weekend in the Finnish countryside 8)

Next time I see it i'll post my verdict :lol:

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:35 am

PeterF wrote:
pierrot wrote:Can you spell "SORE LOSERS"?
huono häviäjä...are there ever happy losers?

Did not notice many smiling faces when the French lost to Greece or the Germans lost to Cz....
There is a difference between not smiling and looking for excuses for your own failures, be it the grass or the referee.
I saw both games and no TV-commentator (french or german) claimed it was a UEFA-conspiracy or that the referee was bad and no newspaper was crying because they thought that the french or germans have been cheated. They all agreed on the fact that both teams sucked.
Now go and look again at the BBC comments in that night and at some english newspaper.

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:37 am

pierrot wrote:There is a difference between not smiling and looking for excuses for your own failures, be it the grass or the referee.
I wish everyone thought like that mate :lol:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:57 am

pierrot wrote:Now go and look again at the BBC comments in that night and at some english newspaper.
I was in UK...In a pub watching...I did not hear anything to critise the ref ...they did think it was a goal and they thought initialy that the Ref did not think the ball crossed the line...but after several replays the real fans knew the Ref had seen what he thought was a foul and most of them accepted it... however..there were frequent shouts.."F@££$ing uselessl Beckham!".. he is realy disliked by many fans..why?...Add to this that the country was in football mania..I have never seen anything like it before..many many house were draped in the English flag...cars had flags tied to the their radio antenna...some cars had the English flags painted on the bonnets and doors...30% of shoppers were wearing England replica shirts...The media were driving this mania...it was selling lots of their newspapers...They insigated the "we was cheated!" headline/cliam....they published the Ref personal details...Not the English public....they said that Beckham let the team/nation down by not being 100% fit ...I agree with them.

hemuli

Post by hemuli » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:00 am

ajdias wrote:
hemuli wrote:England lost. The English speakers haven't recovered yet.
Go on, blame us 8).. would'nt you rather trow stones at the swiss banker :twisted:
No, but let's talk about tomorrow, forget the whole English disaster.

Portugal vs. the Netherlands. Who wins?

By the way, a group of Dutch fans will be looking the game in the sports acadamy. Will you be there as well?

You can recognize me, since it's all orange.

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:41 am

PeterF wrote:
pierrot wrote:Now go and look again at the BBC comments in that night and at some english newspaper.
They insigated the "we was cheated!" headline/cliam....they published the Ref personal details...Not the English public....they said that Beckham let the team/nation down by not being 100% fit ...I agree with them.
Someone has to buy these newspapers who published the details of urs Meyer and he also got nice calls at night - probably by the journalists ;)
Uefa slams English press
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 846643.stm
Another thing: Beckham didnt put himself on the field, it was the trainer who thought he was fit enough, despite what everyone could see.
Why did Sven make him play then anyway???

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:56 am

pierrot wrote:Another thing: Beckham didnt put himself on the field, it was the trainer who thought he was fit enough, despite what everyone could see.
Have you heard of "Catch 22"... :wink:
Sven was on a hiding for nothing...
Play him when 80% fit..wrong...
(Sven thoughts...he might score from a free kick..can always replace him if he gets too slow...perhaps he will injure himself and then I can replace him without press critics..)

drop him..wrong...
( More Sven thoughts...Big Headlines ....Swedish coach drops England's golden boy..! I will get lynched!)

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:02 pm

PeterF wrote:
pierrot wrote:Another thing: Beckham didnt put himself on the field, it was the trainer who thought he was fit enough, despite what everyone could see.
Have you heard of "Catch 22"... :wink:
Sven was on a hiding for nothing...
Play him when 80% fit..wrong...
(Sven thoughts...he might score from a free kick..can always replace him if he gets too slow...perhaps he will injure himself and then I can replace him without press critics..)

drop him..wrong...
( More Sven thoughts...Big Headlines ....Swedish coach drops England's golden boy..! I will get lynched!)
Well thats the difference between a good manager and a bad manager.
A good manager can make deicisions which the public doesnt like but which will prove him right. He can make decisions based on his strategy.
A bad manager listens to the medias because he lacks either the selfconfidence or the success (or both) and will change his strategies according to what the others want.
You will never win anything with that manager.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:07 pm

I heard this english ref (Paul ?) on BBC saying, to put it short "English ppl have been a bit overboard about it.. in europe Refs mark faul 99 out of 100 times, here (UK) the game is somehow more physical and that~s why so many ppl think the goal should have been allowed".. a very diplomatic answer :thumbsup:
hemuli wrote:By the way, a group of Dutch fans will be looking the game in the sports acadamy. Will you be there as well?
I guess I can~t run away anymore :) Will make my best to be there despite my "love" for SA and try to get some friends with me.
you can recognize me, since it's all orange.
you and the other 49 guys.. I'll have a Portugal scarf with me and perhaps a pint :)