where do you PLAY? (soccer)

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
meenfreem

Post by meenfreem » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:25 pm

just out of curiousity... where (if) do you guys play footy??? thing is, i want to play football, not just blab about it! any clubs out there with more foreigners? maybe even a team of only foreigners??? otherwise i'll just head over to the Malmi and/or tapanila clubs...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Majava

Post by Majava » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:20 pm

Until I left NL, I played KNVB Sunday amateur league at EVC (Edam - and no we did NOT use a cheese!). Here I did not really see an opportunity to play at the same level. It seemed as if only the very young or the very professional are playing in some kind of league. Then I went to play the way I started; on the street with a couple of people I know. In Winter we rent a school gym hall and play there. This week we dragged the goals from the snow and are outside again. It's not to be compared with playing in a team. I miss the team spirit: the swearing at teammates :wink: , the tea at half time and that my shirt and shorts are getting washed by the club!

But this way I am able to still practice my technique...ahum... and keep condition a bit :D
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

meenfreem

Post by meenfreem » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:48 pm

so... i ask of you again... where do you play :)

i'm keen on getting to play once (or twice) a week... even if it is for simple fun and no real competition... there must be some sort of league?! mustn't there?!

meenfreem

Post by meenfreem » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:11 pm

how about this: http://www.kapylanpallo.fi

they have some sort of ikämiehet teams... i can only assume they are referring to old-timers :)

anyways... i'm sure they could use a bunch of new players... right? doesn't any club want new players? what if we can get enough guys together to join in a league? i'm quite sure it's possible on holland... anyone who's tried this before?

Majava

Post by Majava » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:27 pm

meenfreem wrote:so... i ask of you again... where do you play :)
Me? at a school sports field in some village 100 kms North of Helsinki... but I am also interested in if/where others play? Or did people turn to other sports as soon as they arrived here??
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

Ace

Post by Ace » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:43 am

meenfreem I have contact info for every football club in Helsinki. Im up for a game now and again. I cant commit to playing for a team at the moment though. I referee 3 nights a week.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:23 am

Frank, are you still running around with the idea of fixing a Dutch team or a foreigner's team :?:

Great Scott

Post by Great Scott » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:29 am

I've had lots of luck playing for the last two summers at a park in Eira very close to 5 corners. Lot's of players there, always possible to get a game. Plenty of Finns and Internationals alike.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..."

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:40 pm

I play (football - not soccer!) most Sunday evenings on an underheated floodlit gravel pitch in Kauniainen(next to the ski slope/ice hockey hall). It's usually about an 8-10 a side friendly game and they play all year round whatever the weather(i started playing in feb). theres a good mix of nationalities/fitness levels/skills.
½Image½Image

Ace

Post by Ace » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:52 pm

Majava wrote:Here I did not really see an opportunity to play at the same level. It seemed as if only the very young or the very professional are playing in some kind of league.
No way mate. They play at every level here in Helsinki. There are quite a few different hobby leagues for all ages and levels too.

They have this Harrastesarjat with:

Kilpasarja 2 * 25min (10 a side) full size pitch
Kuntosarja 2 * 20min (7 a side) small pitch
Harrastesarja 2 * 20min (5 a side) mini pitch

Plus other hobby leagues too.

I'd say anyone at any level could play in the 7th and 6th divisions both 2 * 30mins

It starts getting a bit more serious in the 5th and 4th (90 minutes) and the 3rd really is the boundary I think where you have to be very good and fit to play.

PS Meenfreem these could be up your street:

http://mondialstars.org/

International team, training in english. I trained with them once but its like 3 training sessions and 2 games a week. Too much commitment for me currently.

Majava

Post by Majava » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:00 pm

Yes, Ace, later I found out that there are (also here in Lahti) some hobby teams that play. (Kortteliliiga they call it here) I never bothered to find out more because I never found anyone else who'd also like to play there with me. So are the leagues you're talking about "official" in any way? Do you need to become a member of the national football union? Official referees? So where do you referee, Ace?

Like Arno, I would be interested in playing for a Dutch or foreigner (or mixed with Finns) team. But I prefer to play in a competition league, for the full 90 minutes (unless I saw red :twisted: )

Ace

Post by Ace » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:13 pm

Majava wrote:So are the leagues you're talking about "official" in any way?
Yeah there all Suomen Palloliitto Helsingin Piiri leagues.

Majava wrote:Do you need to become a member of the national football union?
You need a license from the FA I think the cheapest is about €30. It gets more expensive the higher the level (I think)
Majava wrote:Official referees? So where do you referee, Ace?
Helsinki. I do games from 4th division and below, indoor (in the winter) and various tournaments also. I do the hobby leagues quite a lot too. I have six 2*20 minute games tommorow :lol: