Finland Sweden Ice Hockey

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Gonzo

A game of three halves?

Post by Gonzo » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:56 pm

Whilst we're asking questions about ice-hockey, I have one...

Why is the game divided into thirds? Surely this means that whatever advantage there is in shooting up one end, one team will receive more of it than the other. And if there really is no advantage, why bother changing directions at all.

Halves, like in football, would make so much more sense. But, I'm sure there must be a good reason. Hockey fans - enlighten me.

Cos it's strange, isn't it. You stand in the middle of a library and go 'Aaaaaagghhh!!' and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an aeroplane, and everyone joins in.
Tommy Cooper

A game of three halves?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

daive

Re: A game of three halves?

Post by daive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:14 pm

Gonzo wrote:Whilst we're asking questions about ice-hockey, I have one...

Why is the game divided into thirds? Surely this means that whatever advantage there is in shooting up one end, one team will receive more of it than the other. And if there really is no advantage, why bother changing directions at all.

Halves, like in football, would make so much more sense. But, I'm sure there must be a good reason. Hockey fans - enlighten me.
More fag and beer breaks? :lol:

PeterF

Re: Finland Sweden Ice Hockey

Post by PeterF » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:14 am

sparks1061 wrote:Hi, Help me out someone!

I was able to work out with some help why when Finland won 4-0 last night they then went into an extra period,
So they could work out who was the winner of the European cup!
But given that the win last night made it 1-1 in games why the hell did Finland going into the extra period carrying the remainder of a penalty? They played the first 90 secs or so of the extra period 1 man down!

Can someone please explain the logic?

Oh and great game :) Lets hope Finland do as well in the World Cup :))
all explained here...
http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/english/ ... 6152505131