Who will the Scots support England vs. France?

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
JasonS

Post by JasonS » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:03 pm

luddite wrote:Gerrard and Scholes are our only world class players.
I suppose Beckham's not then?

½Image½Image

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:03 pm

Here are th current betting odds...
France 10-3 favorites.
England 7-1
http://www.mybetting.co.uk/euro-2004-odds.htm

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:04 pm

JasonS wrote:
luddite wrote:Gerrard and Scholes are our only world class players.
I suppose Beckham's not then?
Only in Bed :wink:

luddite

Post by luddite » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:06 pm

JasonS wrote:I suppose Beckham's not then?
Great passer of the ball. Good work rate. But very overrated. Cant tackle. Cant use his left foot :!: He probably wouldn't get in the French team.

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:24 pm

luddite wrote:
Great passer of the ball. Good work rate. But very overrated. Cant tackle. Cant use his left foot :!: He probably wouldn't get in the French team.
Ooh you are being very harsh. Good work rate but cant tackle? Do remember him being a one man team in that vital game against Greece a few years ago. He won the ball all over the place. He is a great leader in the big occasion. I think he'll rise up to the challenge again. He has had his faults but he gives so much more than other players who hide and never perform as well in an England shirt as their club shirt.

Maybe i'm getting a bit carried away..it'll probably be a cagey low score draw, as long as the defence doesn't do anything silly.
½Image½Image

luddite

Post by luddite » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:34 pm

JasonS wrote:Ooh you are being very harsh. Good work rate but cant tackle? Do remember him being a one man team in that vital game against Greece a few years ago. He won the ball all over the place. He is a great leader in the big occasion. I think he'll rise up to the challenge again. He has had his faults but he gives so much more than other players who hide and never perform as well in an England shirt as their club shirt.

Maybe i'm getting a bit carried away..it'll probably be a cagey low score draw, as long as the defence doesn't do anything silly.
Yeah he does put more effort in for England than his club (used to piss off united fans that especially after France 98 when all the ingurland fans were slagging him). But I think im a good judge of him as Im a Utd fan and have watched him week in week out for years. He was on autopilot his last two years at United. And he cant tackle. He closes down angles alright but he really doesn't tackle. True if he plays on the wing he's not really required to get stuck in like the boys in the middle and he has a sweet right foot but he's not the player people make out and not fit to lace Zidanes boots ;-)

Watch his Utd replacement Ronaldo tommorow 7pm Portugal v Greece. Now theres a player with twice the natural skills of Beckham :!:

Gerrard will be Englands real leader this tournament mark my words :!:
Last edited by luddite on Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:41 pm

Here is an interesting set of reviews of D Beckham..
If you change the setting to "Sort reviews by Lowest"...you can see the mixture of opinions. (some are a bit dated as they refer to him as being @ MU)

http://www.mouthshut.com/readproduct/925008095-1.html

simon

Post by simon » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:23 pm

luddite wrote:
Something tells me that Luddite wouldnt be saying that if he was still at MU. Sour grapes after such an underachieving season!!! Oh well he has to blame someone for his teams poor season by thier standards.

Next he'll be saying Scholes has had a blinder of a season :wink:

luddite

Post by luddite » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:26 pm

Come on he was consistently our 4th best midfield player at all his time at Utd:

1. Keane
2. Scholes
3. Giggs
4. Beckham

And if you think Beckham is a better player than Scholes your mad :!:

Not sour grapes. We had his best years. Time for young blood now :!:

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:46 pm

Peter's remark earlier about Beckham in the boudoir (latest reports show him tackling three at once and even having shaved his tackle) reminds me of something.

Luddite, do you remember those lovely double entendres that were written on the 606 Beeb message board and got through all the filters and moderators when nobody was allowed to say anything about certain English footballers and a certain alleged hotel in West London...

There was one delicious one about "doing his best work around the box and selflessly setting things up for his colleagues to put it in". Any chance of digging that one up? I think it was the young chappie who was on loan to Charlton who was featured.

luddite

Post by luddite » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:06 pm

Not easy to find that beauty mate. But it was something like:

"Im a big fan of Carlton Cole, he seems to have great ability at bringing others into the game" ;-)

It was a PM you sent me, I deleted it and there is no search facility on the 606 boards :(

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:17 pm

This what you are looking for...

BBC - 606 - Messageboard
... season and our hard done by players have had ... not been particularly impressed with
Carlton Cole, until today ... holding the ball up and bringing others, E. Stander, ...

Daah cant get the link to work on this BB..
But when I Do a google for..
Carlton Cole+ bringing others into the game.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... me&spell=1

It takes me to the BBC 606 and there it is...3rd in this search..

simon

Post by simon » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:15 pm

luddite wrote:Come on he was consistently our 4th best midfield player at all his time at Utd:

1. Keane
2. Scholes
3. Giggs
4. Beckham
Not in scoring goals or getting assissts. He was always your best, according in FF terms. And that my boy is what the game is about scoring and assissts

luddite

Post by luddite » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:45 pm

simon wrote:Not in scoring goals or getting assissts. He was always your best, according in FF terms. And that my boy is what the game is about scoring and assissts
He took every free kick in the opposition half and 90% of all corners :!:

I'll say this and you can quote me ;-)

You will not find a better dead ball player on the planet than Beckham. (and before you start that doesn't make him world class) But my boy there is more to football than that ;-)

The Johny Wilkinson of football ;-)

mrjimsfc

Post by mrjimsfc » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:59 pm

luddite wrote:You will not find a better dead ball player on the planet than Beckham.
So he really is dead? I always thought that only dead people played that European thing they call some sort of "sport". :roll: A bunch of zombies stumbling around on a big grassy field kicking each other and tripping over one another. :twisted: Yup, European football (Soccer), golf and Ballet all have the same things in common; a lot of moving around and no excitement. Well, OK, European folk DO get excited, it's just that they get excited over some really DULL things. :lol: