England France @#$% up!

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
JasonS

Post by JasonS » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:07 pm

Luddy, we'll have to agree to disagree - you being a loyal 'united' fan and all, i'll go with the TimesOnline brief player rating which doesnt mention his habit of wandering out of position to leave Cole exposed on his own:

PAUL SCHOLES ... 6/10
No shock: Scholes was booked for a mistimed challenge on Vieira. Absolutely shock: his shooting boots were again left in the dressing-room.

I do hope though he will find some 'holes' in the Swiss defence and get some shooting confidence back.

½Image½Image

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:14 pm

JasonS wrote:Luddy, we'll have to agree to disagree - you being a loyal 'united' fan and all, i'll go with the TimesOnline brief player rating which doesnt mention his habit of wandering out of position to leave Cole exposed on his own:

PAUL SCHOLES ... 6/10
No shock: Scholes was booked for a mistimed challenge on Vieira. Absolutely shock: his shooting boots were again left in the dressing-room.

I do hope though he will find some 'holes' in the Swiss defence and get some shooting confidence back.
Well he's not a left winger is he? I do feel that the small time club Ingurland supporter needs a United player to blame for their teams misfortune every tournament though.

With Gary Neville rarely putting a foot wrong I guess Scholes is this years scapegoat.

I sometimes find it hard to support the national team with their ABU "Burberry clad" "effigy hanging" following ;-)

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:39 pm

:shock: Surely it cant be that easy to unintentionally wind up a ManU(re) fan?...I haven't even questioned your birthplace credentials let alone numbers of Old Trafford games attended :wink:
½Image½Image

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:46 pm

Eyup, I think we might have a live one here. Form a circle round them, boys and girls, and Stig, you man the door this time. This could go the distance if the Luddite is tooled up.

Two flames and a FOAD to decide... try to keep the blood off the carpet.

Seconds out! Ding-ding!

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:51 pm

It was the best game from an english team in the last few years and whoever claims it was chance for France should have a look at the finals in the EC 2000. Maybe the opponent teams should play the full 90 minutes and not start to be already celebrating in their minds while the ball is still rolling on the field.

Oh, and evil evil France even dared to celebrate their win in their dressing rooms... :roll:
"FRANK LAMPARD revealed how France’s gloating stars twisted the knife on England following last night’s agony.
The Chelsea star was still reeling after seeing his first-half header overturned by two stoppage-time goals from French skipper Zinedine Zidane.
And he was astonished to hear the wild celebrations coming from the French dressing-room as England’s stars tried to come to terms with their shattering defeat.
Lampard revealed: “There were a lot of disappointed people sitting in that dressing-room and it didn’t help that they were singing French songs of victory next door.
“That really hacked us off and I don’t think we would have done that if we’d won the game."
"
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002 ... 32,00.html
Yeah sure... "Are you scotland in disguise" right? :twisted:
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:57 pm

pierrot wrote:It was the best game from an english team in the last few years and whoever claims it was chance for France should have a look at the finals in the EC 2000. Maybe the opponent teams should play the full 90 minutes and not start to be already celebrating in their minds while the ball is still rolling on the field.

Oh, and evil evil France even dared to celebrate their win in their dressing rooms... :roll:
"FRANK LAMPARD revealed how France’s gloating stars twisted the knife on England following last night’s agony.
The Chelsea star was still reeling after seeing his first-half header overturned by two stoppage-time goals from French skipper Zinedine Zidane.
And he was astonished to hear the wild celebrations coming from the French dressing-room as England’s stars tried to come to terms with their shattering defeat.
Lampard revealed: “There were a lot of disappointed people sitting in that dressing-room and it didn’t help that they were singing French songs of victory next door.
“That really hacked us off and I don’t think we would have done that if we’d won the game."
"
Probably time now to bring out the long-lost tapes of the England dressing room after the 5-1 win over Germany, with the boys quietly chatting about Wittgenstein and Proust as they towel themselves down, and wondering if they should venture out to the Deutsche Oper am Rhein to see that new production of Krenek's Jonny spielt auf.

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:58 pm

JasonS wrote::shock: Surely it cant be that easy to unintentionally wind up a ManU(re) fan?...I haven't even questioned your birthplace credentials let alone numbers of Old Trafford games attended :wink:
I wont have a bad word said about Scholesy ;-)

stig

Post by stig » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:54 pm

pierrot wrote:It was the best game from an english team in the last few years and whoever claims it was chance for France should have a look at the finals in the EC 2000. Maybe the opponent teams should play the full 90 minutes and not start to be already celebrating in their minds while the ball is still rolling on the field.

"
No, no, no.... the comment was completely misunderstood. Lamp's just wanted to join in with the french after the game in a rousing sing-song... promote fair play and all that. The poor bugger had been learning the words to Joe le Taxi since he touched down in Portugal (well it seems pretty bloody obvious to me he wasn't practicing his football skills) Unfortunately your guys wouldn't let him join in, and it all got a bit unpleasant....

In seriousness though, I agree with you (as would alot of England fans) t'was a stupid thing to say and ended up making him look a bit childish to be honest. Not needed and smells of being a bad loser.

Even the most patriotically blinded england fan will most likely admit to that being complete b0ll0cks.

Oh... and I still think you were lucky (but then I would...wouldnt I) :)

Good luck to the French for the rest of the tournament.

Stig.
"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:02 pm

Stig wrote:Even the most patriotically blinded england fan will most likely admit to that being complete b0ll0cks.

Yep absolute b0ll0cks by Lampard there :!: Although I dont have my St George cross tinted specs on :wink:

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:09 pm

stig wrote: Oh... and I still think you were lucky (but then I would...wouldnt I) :)
But the main point is: would YOU sing Joe le Taxi with Zidane, Barthez and me? :ochesey: :D
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

stig

Post by stig » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:54 pm

pierrot wrote:
stig wrote: Oh... and I still think you were lucky (but then I would...wouldnt I) :)
But the main point is: would YOU sing Joe le Taxi with Zidane, Barthez and me? :ochesey: :D
The main point is COULD YOU stand me singing Joe Le Taxi - and how far through the song could I get before being clubbed to death for massacring the French language with my schoolboy-pronounciation :)
"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004

mrjimsfc

Post by mrjimsfc » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:58 pm

stig wrote:The main point is COULD YOU stand me singing Joe Le Taxi - and how far through the song could I get before being clubbed to death for massacring the French language with my schoolboy-pronounciation :)
I thought that was the point, ie. singing as badly as possible. :P

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:52 am

luddite wrote:I wont have a bad word said about Scholesy ;-)
PS Found this quite funny:
Paul Scholes does not say very much but the hacks love writing about him, this from The Times.

As Paul Scholes brought the Eiffel Tower that is Patrick Vieira crashing to the ground early in the second half, earning his obligatory yellow card, the garrulous Sir Bobby Robson made what might turn out to be his most insightful comment of Euro 2004: "He quite enjoyed that." Put that attitude together with his sharp-eyed passing in the early stages, and you have the reason why Scholes should be in the team for the rest of England ’s tournament.

Scholes’s critics, however, will find succour from the yellow card and the shot ballooned over the bar and the fact that he never seemed to be in his position on the left side of midfield (except of course that is not his position). Despite substituting him after 75 minutes against France, Sven-Göran Eriksson insisted last week that it had never entered his head to leave Scholes out of an England team. But dropping Scholes has more than crossed the mind of many others lately — including the Manchester United midfield player himself.

On this at least, Eriksson has been right all along. Despite forgetting how to score in internationals (it’s only three years, give him a chance), Scholes remains England’s most technically gifted creative midfield player. Without him England, like United, could be left looking predictable, safe and sterile. To drop Scholes would be to admit defeat, to say that we cannot compete with the continentals for touch or finesse, and must revert to the traditional English virtues of huffing and puffing.

Not that Scholes is short on fighting spirit either. The relish with which he looked forward to crossing boots with France’s Arsenal contingent made a welcome break from the phoney diplomacy. Scholes is the antithesis of the celebrity footballer — the working-class hero who is nobody’s idea of a role model (except perhaps Sir Alex Ferguson’s), the star whose haircut has never made the front page, the man with nothing to say who manages to be less boring than players who won’t shut up about themselves.

Scholes is from Salford, as is my wife. When I go out for a drink with the in-laws, I see lots of lads who look like Scholes in Eccles pubs, usually with a bloke who looks like Nicky Butt. Do not annoy them. The quiet ones, as they say, are the worst.'