England France @#$% up!

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
ssabmudsdom

England France @#$% up!

Post by ssabmudsdom » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:43 pm

Only England could have @#$% it up quite so badly and so quickly!
"I don't believe it!"

England France @#$% up!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

luddite

Post by luddite » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:47 pm

I knew Zidane wouldn't miss that free kick. And what was Gerrard thinking passing back to Calamity James like that?

Still all is not lost. 2nd place is still up for grabs as the other two drew and there were signs of promise today :thumbsup:

A good performance by Ingurland today really.

Wasn't really impressed with the fans singing "Who the @#$% are Man Utd" but "Are you Scotland in disguise?" made me laugh 8)

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:58 pm

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
Well, that reminded me of the final of the EC2000 and ManU-Bayern in 1999.
I loved Beckham´s penalty, and Barthez... :twisted: 8)
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:47 am

"It ain't over until the fat lady sings..."

But I'm still bummed as I'd had the Frogs to win 3-0 or 3-1 and it also screwed my pitkäveto with France NOT winning by two clear goals. :(

Still, disappointed fans can take comfort from the two English strikers who did not flag throughout the whole 90 minutes.
Last edited by otyikondo on Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Majava

Post by Majava » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:50 am

Let me remind the English of a stunt the Dutch pulled back in 1988. Holland also lost their first group match (against the USSR). Some matches later they faced the same Russians in the Finals and won. Needless to say that the latter game was a bit more important.

France-England was not what I expected. France was in spite of their victory abslolutely lucky to have won this match and they'd better be warned.
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:00 am

Overheard in the stands:

"Hey mum, daddy is a wånker!!!

"Shhh... not so loud, and btw, he isn't your dad..."

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:41 am

pierrot wrote:ManU-Bayern in 1999.
Yep your dead right there :!:

BTW should have been a straight red for Silvestre and Calamity in that game yesterday. Both denied the attackers obvious goal scoring opportunities by commiting those fouls.

Goldenbollocks got a nice lesson how to take free kicks and penalties yesterday eh? ;-) Although to be fair his free kick that set up Englands goal was class.

stig

Post by stig » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:26 am

I think people need to look on the brightside.

1. Ledley King has proved himself as a more than capable stand-in for Terry.

2. The Lampard / Gerrard partnership showed signs of promise. Especially early on (even though as a downside Scholes (who also had a good game) kept drifting in and leaving Ashley Cole a little exposed).

3. I expect people to argue this, but whether you like it or not, it doesn't matter how well you play, to score two goals in injury time after being 1-0 down for most of the game means you are LUCKY. France's luck can't hold out for the entire tournament.

4. Seeing Emile Heskey strap on an England shirt gives every Englishman (and woman) somewhere a feeling that they too have a chance to play for the national side.

5. I think I'm still drunk from last night, and my boss hasn't noticed yet.

Stig.
"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:35 am

pierrot wrote:I loved Beckham´s penalty, and Barthez... :twisted: 8)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 804197.stm

:lol:

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:16 pm

I'm slowly recovering from the shock but well played England(for 90 minutes at least), especially Rooney, King and Campbell. Apart from the freak ending there were loads of positives they can now build on. Maybe it was good to get the penalty save/silly giveaway backpass/last seconds defeat out of the system now all at once and not later on in the tournament.

I too was expecting a red card for Silvestre(and i suppose James - its on the rules isnt it?).

The manager Ericsonn deserves a bit of praise rather than criticizism for his late substitutions when he picked a good team (including King, Rooney) and was pretty much tactically spot on.

Also a big pat on the back for the magnificent 30,000+ England support, especially after the game. Reports say they graciously accepted defeat and caused no trouble. That last minute defeat could have been a good excuse to go on the rampage.

ps. personally, i was SO proud to see the massive Watford FC St George's flag on the halfway line.
½Image½Image

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:33 pm

JasonS wrote: Also a big pat on the back for the magnificent 30,000+ England support, especially after the game. Reports say they graciously accepted defeat and caused no trouble. That last minute defeat could have been a good excuse to go on the rampage.
This seems to show that the Idiot faction were left at home..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3802125.stm

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:48 pm

JasonS wrote:The manager Ericsonn deserves a bit of praise rather than criticizism for his late substitutions when he picked a good team (including King, Rooney) and was pretty much tactically spot on.
Vassell was a good swop for Owen, but Heskey for Rooney was a bit strange. Scholes didn't make many mistakes (although he didn't have a great game) so I was surprised to see Hargreaves come on but I think Sven wanted to shut up shop (suicide tactics against the French) we should have kept those two attack minded players (Scholes and Rooney) on the pitch.

France had so many chances they couldn't fail to get a goal I was just surprised they both came from set pieces.

Gerrard (aside from his obvious blunder) was pretty damn good. And how many tackles did you see Beckham make lads? ;-)

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:36 pm

luddite wrote: France had so many chances they couldn't fail to get a goal I was just surprised they both came from set pieces.
did they? i dont remember James having to make any difficult saves, only a couple of easy stops.

I'm not sure how many tackles he made but at least beckham is always involved in goals, unlike mr. anonynous(scholes). whist he is a tidy player scholes has zero confidence going forward(he admitted it himself). what happened to that player who made those surging forward runs and banged in a healthy number of goals? when was his last england goal? how long will ericsonn keep faith in him?
½Image½Image

kuusama

Post by kuusama » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:53 pm

PeterF wrote:
JasonS wrote: Also a big pat on the back for the magnificent 30,000+ England support, especially after the game. Reports say they graciously accepted defeat and caused no trouble. That last minute defeat could have been a good excuse to go on the rampage.
This seems to show that the Idiot faction were left at home..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3802125.stm
The mindless behaviour of some people in my home town (Croydon) never ceases to amaze me
too many flags to mention

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:53 pm

JasonS wrote:did they? i dont remember James having to make any difficult saves, only a couple of easy stops.
Chances dont have to be shots on goal. Henry put a few tricky crosses in from the left and they were dancing around in our penalty area often enough.
JasonS wrote:I'm not sure how many tackles he made but at least beckham is always involved in goals,
I didn't see him make one unlike Scholes and Gerrard and as I stated before he takes every set piece no wonder he's involved in so many assists.
JasonS wrote:unlike mr. anonynous(scholes).
Did we watch the same game? :lol: How many times did he break up French possession on the edge of our penalty box? His passing was superb and I rarely saw him give away possession.
JasonS wrote:when was his last england goal?
3 years. Terrible record for Scholesy really when you consider his club record :!: But he's a midfielder and if Lampard and Beckham are going to be the attacking midfielders someones gotta break up play.