Boxing for complete beginners in Helsinki

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
hattalove

Post by hattalove » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:23 pm

Hei,

I'm an exchange student currently in Helsinki and I'm very interested in starting a new sports hobby. I'm particularly interested in boxing or kickboxing and would appreciate if anyone could reccomend a place that maybe starts a new spring course for complete beginners?

My Finnish is not very good - I understand only basics and speak even less, and I don't necessarily require any special attention, but I'd like a place where they have no problem with speaking English to me when I really need help.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Bubba Elvis XIV

Re: Boxing for complete beginners in Helsinki

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Here's a whole list of clubs in Helsinki:

http://www.kamppailulajit.net/kaupungit/helsinki.html

Nyrkkeily = Boxing
Kickboxing and Thai Boxing are quite obvious.

The list is a bit out of date, but I am sure there's something there.

Not sure if you want kickboxing specifically or Muay Thai is ok too. The Combat Academy has both and is quite a well respected gym. You'll have to check the sites for courses.

Most martial arts gyms are fine with English. There's always an exchange student in the gym and a lot of the guys travel to train or compete, or put on seminars with foreign instructors. So the instructors are quite used to using English in the gym.
Black Flag kills ants on contact

Sisupoika

Post by Sisupoika » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi there,

I was about to open another thread but since the topic is identical, I hope it's OK if I join this one :)

I am also looking for boxing gyms, since I'd like to take up boxing again (after several years' break) once I move with my wife and kids to Finland in a few months.
My sister in law suggested the Combat Academy too, plus this one http://www.stadiboxing.fi/main.htm.

But she's never done boxing though so I'd like comments from someone who's got some experience with any of them.

Cheers

AlexaM.

Post by AlexaM. » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:14 pm

hattalove wrote:Hei,

I'm an exchange student currently in Helsinki and I'm very interested in starting a new sports hobby. I'm particularly interested in boxing or kickboxing and would appreciate if anyone could reccomend a place that maybe starts a new spring course for complete beginners?

My Finnish is not very good - I understand only basics and speak even less, and I don't necessarily require any special attention, but I'd like a place where they have no problem with speaking English to me when I really need help.

Thanks in advance!
I practice them both for years, I suggest, if possible, starting with the kick boxing, will be better for your legs. I am now boxing, but have done kick boxing for years still helps me a lot and... is a little bit more light to do, less contact and more movements,i think is better to get used to the shots (in boxe you are more close to the other athlete...) :thumbsup:
Kisses :mrgreen:

tiny

Post by tiny » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 pm

There's a good place for kickboxing close to Pitäjänmäki train station: http://www.sskf-ry.com/treenit.html
The instuctors are friendly and speak English.

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Interesting first post.

Aren't two of the instructors English?

Have you trained there? What's the FMA like? Any full contact / DBMA style?
Black Flag kills ants on contact