Attn English people. Your country needs you.

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:27 am

A little hint for anyone getting german TV over satellite: The two german public channels (ARD and ZDF) are showing both games (every channel shows one game), so you can pick your own favorite!

Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:28 am

Richard wrote:With the amount of Finns who are avid british premiership supporters, I think the england match is pretty certain anyway, but text sent! :)
Dont forget that in the best english team you have plenty of french :wink: :ochesey:
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

junot

Post by junot » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:28 am

Nuno Gomez has been linked with a move to Bolton. I guess that after tonight's heroics he's now way out of our price range :( It is good for the tournament though that the hosts are still involved, so the TV pundits tell us :)
I'm hoping to see England's 1/4 final in a Paris bar next week with my England supporting Corsican friends:) I'll still enjoy Paris even if England duck out!
Who goes through if England draw with Croatia and Switzerland beat France? Maybe I'll work it out when I'm sober?
phil_h

stig

Post by stig » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:44 am

pierrot wrote: Dont forget that in the best english team you have plenty of french :wink: :ochesey:
Your just deliberately trying to wind up the luddite aren't you? :thumbsup:
"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:45 am

junot wrote:Who goes through if England draw with Croatia and Switzerland beat France? Maybe I'll work it out when I'm sober?
Should a three way tie unfold with France, England and Switzerland all on four points, England will have a superior goal difference (+2) over France (now +1 but to decrease after projected defeat against Switzerland).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 787501.stm

If England and Croatia draw, Switzerland need to beat France by at least three goals to advance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 787505.stm

France need only a draw against Switzerland to reach the quarter-finals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 787505.stm

junot

Post by junot » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:23 am

luddite wrote: If England and Croatia draw, Switzerland need to beat France by at least three goals to advance.
I was just confused because I thought that in a situation where teams are level on points positions would firstly be decided by the result of the game between the teams involved. But it seems that if the all are equal on 4 points the Swiss would lose out even though they would have beaten France? France would have to finish above England as they beat them. England would finish above the Swiss because they beat them.

The Guardian says that the Swiss 'only' need to win and not necessarily by 3 goals...It's pretty confusing. I guess the BBC must be correct?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/euro2004 ... 35,00.html
phil_h

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:27 am

No I think the BBC are wrong. Your right. If the Swiss beat the French and everyones on the same points the Swiss should go through as they beat France. GD is only when there was a draw between the teams on the same points.

At least thats how I thought it was.

Boob by the beeb me thinks :!: Well spotted :thumbsup:

Sara

Post by Sara » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:03 pm

so which footy match are they showing?

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:07 pm

Sara wrote:so which footy match are they showing?
JasonS wrote:England v Croatia wins with 86% of vote (as recently announced at end of Spain v Portugal broadcast)

Well done everyone! now,

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sara

Post by Sara » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:36 pm

just testing! :wink:

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:39 pm

Sara wrote:just testing! :wink:
:oops: :ochesey: :mrgreen: