The Germans

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
luddite

The Germans

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:42 am

Once again the Hun will go through :wink: . Why?

The Czechs have already qualified (not only that they've already won the group) why would they play any of their first choice 11? Nedved wont make the bench :!:

Any manager would take the opportunity to blood his squad players in a game they dont need to win.

Bad luck Holland :!:

link

The Germans

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

pierrot

Re: The Germans

Post by pierrot » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:12 pm

luddite wrote:Once again the Hun will go through :wink: . Why?

The Czechs have already qualified (not only that they've already won the group) why would they play any of their first choice 11? Nedved wont make the bench :!:

Any manager would take the opportunity to blood his squad players in a game they dont need to win.

Bad luck Holland :!:

link
Even the czech women-team would be too much for the germans in their actual situation ;)
I have seen them playing live in our local stadium not too long ago and besides Schneider and Ballack they were all !"#¤%, and that didnt change as it seems :ochesey:
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:15 pm

Source: De Telegraaf
Tsjechië belooft ons hulp
"Wij zullen er alles aan doen om jullie de kwartfinale in te helpen." Het was de tekst die Wesley Sneijder op z'n mobiele telefoon ontving. De door bondscoach Dick Advocaat genegeerde middenvelder kreeg de sms van z'n clubgenoot Tomas Galasek. De Tsjech weet dat Oranje zelfs bij een zege tegen Letland afhankelijk blijft van het resultaat bij Tsjechië-Duitsland. euro 2004

The translation:
Czechs promise to help us.
"We will do all we can to help you into the quarter finals." It was the text which was received by Wesley Sneijder on his mobile phone. The midfielder, ignored by coach Dick Advocaat, received the sms from his team mate Tomas Galasek. The Czech player knows that the Dutch are depending on the results of Czech Republic - Germany, even if they win Latvia."

I don't know how much to believe of it, since De Telegraaf has in Holland the nickname "De Fabeltjeskrant", but well... We'll know on Wednesday...

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:19 pm

Oh, and another quote from De Telegraaf:
Legioen verbant bondscoach Advocaat naar België
Niet de spelers van het Nederlands elftal, die tegen Tsjechië een enorme vechtlust toonden, maar Dick Advocaat moet het ontgelden bij het Oranjelegioen in Portugal. De fans hebben zelfs gezamenlijk een enkele vliegreis naar Brussel geboekt voor de bondscoach. Het geld hiervoor was in vijf minuten binnen.
Translation:
Legion (of Holland supporters, added Arno) banns coach Advocaat to Belgium.
Not the players of the Dutch team, who showed an incredible fighting spirit against the Czech Republik, but Dick Advocaat is held responsible by the Oranjelegioen (the legion of Holland supporters, added Arno) in Portugal. Together he fans even booked a single flight ticket to Brussels for the coach. The money for the ticket was brought together within 5 minutes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:36 pm

The Czechs will play to win, but why risk injuring your best players when you've already won the group? Also the manager would be crazy to play any player whose picked up a yellow card already. I'll just check who that is...

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:41 pm

luddite wrote:The Czechs will play to win, but why risk injuring your best players when you've already won the group? Also the manager would be crazy to play any player whose picked up a yellow card already. I'll just check who that is...
Yeah, except that these yellow cards dont count in the next round ;)
Boy, is that your first EC? :ochesey:
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:43 pm

pierrot wrote:Yeah, except that these yellow cards dont count in the next round ;)
Boy, is that your first EC? :ochesey:
They do. Two yellows in the group will get you banned in the 1/4 finals. However after the group stages any yellow cards are wiped (eg players on one yellow wont carry them to the next stage) and everyone starts with a clean sheet!
Automatic suspension
As usual, players will receive an automatic one-match suspension if they receive a red card or two yellow cards in either the group stage or the knockout stage at the final tournament, but single yellow cards will be expunged after the group stage.
http://www.euro2004.com/News/Kind=1/newsId=187770.html

PS seems only Tomas Galasek has a yellow! Pretty clean play by the Czechs :!:

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:39 pm

Since you are at it Olly whta do you say aboutthe legality of holland's second goal agianst the Czech? VanN was not offside when he got the ball to score, but we has when it was passed to the wing (forgot the name of that kid.. rob.. ?) He got to be there alone before the defenders only because he was offside (positional).. isn't it a bit unfair?
Russia had nothing but their pride to win by beating Greece. All Spain had to do was to draw to carry on.
A squad of substitutes eager to get a place on the first team can be a stronger opponent than the first team watching the clock and avoiding tackles.

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:39 pm

ajdias wrote:Since you are at it Olly whta do you say aboutthe legality of holland's second goal agianst the Czech? VanN was not offside when he got the ball to score, but we has when it was passed to the wing (forgot the name of that kid.. rob.. ?) He got to be there alone before the defenders only because he was offside (positional).. isn't it a bit unfair?
This has been a hot topic with me and my colleagues at work and we all concur the goal was valid.

Nowadays the offside rule is taken instance by instance.

In the first instance when the pass went to the wing Nistelrooy was not interfering with play and thus not penalised for being in an offside position. In the second instance the ball was passed sideways not forward so Nistlerooy was not offside.

FIFA changed the interpretation of the law, in order for there to be more goals in matches, the defenders just need to be more aware.

Looked offside but Nistelrooy took full advantage of the situation :wink:

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:53 pm

Well... the Germans lost....
That makes them go home and the Dutch to the quarter-final.

Not bad, is it :lol: :lol: :lol:

luddite

Post by luddite » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:08 am

Congrats Arno :thumbsup: Oustanding once more from the Czechs

Majava

Post by Majava » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:45 am

That was another great footbal evening and 5 years of my life! It was not too bad after all that (Finns who know nothing about football and) YLE showed the Germany – Tshekki match. I watched it, sound off and had the webradio with Dutch comments from Holland – Latvia on (where there was also a commentator to interrupt at any moment something important happened in the other game).

Absolutely crap play from the Germans. Only Ballack knows how to handle a ball! It looked much better in the second half, when the Germans got me nervous a couple of times. The Czechs started with a team that was different on 9 (!) positions. Like their coach, I agree that I still would not call any set of players who participate at this tournament a B-choice. But it sounds so nice to say that even Czechs B-team has put Germany over the knee.

Czechs score 2-1 and the Dutch radio guy goes out of his mind, like Holland is European Champion. Even though you could see that the Germans then more or less gave up, I was still not at ease. Only after 90 minutes I knew Holland made it.

And I think they deserve it. I watched the Holland game and it was good. Not great, mostly because Latvia was playing like they’d never stand a chance (why not?). Holland had 70% ball possession but the way Latvia was playing plus the chance of of winning this game and still be out, made the Dutch a bit lazy. I saw a great Robben, Seedorf and Davids though and 3 goals was more than the Germans or Czechs could score against Latvia.

So it’s Sweden now. I think we are in for another match a la Chechs – Holland…
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:12 am

They showed Holland-Latvia on Urheilukanava.

Great match, even if I think the match against Czech Republic was better.
It was quite funny though.
The moment the Czechs scored the 2-1 against Germany there was a big uproar in the Dutch crowd at the Holland-Latvia match.
The Finnish commentators were wondering what the hell was going on, because nothing happened on the field in the Holland-Latvia match at that moment :lol:

Anyway...
Czechs, thanks... Great play!

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:20 am

Majava wrote:Absolutely crap play from the Germans. Only Ballack knows how to handle a ball! It looked much better in the second half, when the Germans got me nervous a couple of times. The Czechs started with a team that was different on 9 (!) positions. Like their coach, I agree that I still would not call any set of players who participate at this tournament a B-choice. But it sounds so nice to say that even Czechs B-team has put Germany over the knee.
Something that even the dutch A-team couldnt make ;)
But you are right, besides Ballack and Lahm the rest (especially the strikers) was utterly !"#¤%, but thats not really new as you can see from previous posts.
Its good they are out, their players had, besides these 2, not the quality needed.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:29 am

I saw an interview on Deutsche Welle this morning, stating exactly the problem of the German team:

The best player in the German team is Kahn, the goalie.
If your best player is the goalkeeper, you have a massive problem.