Update me on EURO 2004

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Phil

Update me on EURO 2004

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:38 pm

Okay, who wants to update me on each of the Group's standings?

- How did Greece make it and not Spain?
- Do you think Denmark & Sweden will deliberately go for a tie
- If England loses tonight, they're out and Croatia is in (or vice versa), right?
- Does a win by Germany guarantee them a place in the finals? Can Holland still make it if they win against Lativa and Germany loses?

Update me on EURO 2004

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dreamer

Re: Update me on EURO 2004

Post by dreamer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:59 pm

Phil wrote:Okay, who wants to update me on each of the Group's standings?

- How did Greece make it and not Spain?
Greece had better situation on goals (scored more goals).
Here's the rule in case of ties (from http://www.euro2004.com):
Tie breakers
If teams finish level on points, then the winner of the match between the sides in question will finish highest, or should they have drawn, goal difference, followed by goals scored, qualifying record for the 2002 FIFA World Cup and UEFA EURO 2004™, a fair play ranking and finally either a penalty shoot-out or drawing of lots.
Phil wrote: - Do you think Denmark & Sweden will deliberately go for a tie
I don't think so.
Phil wrote:
- If England loses tonight, they're out and Croatia is in (or vice versa), right?
I think so, I didn't check the exact standings.
Phil wrote:
- Does a win by Germany guarantee them a place in the finals? Can Holland still make it if they win against Lativa and Germany loses?
You probably mean a place in the quarter-finals ;) nothing can guarantee a place in the final at this stage ;)
If Germany wins, they qualify. If Germany looses Netherlands qualifies if they win (or Latvia is they win).

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:21 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm

Click on a country name in Left Nav then in new page click Fixtures/Table just under the country name.
Gives very neat summary of the group outlook.
Group D

P W D L GF GA Pts
Czech Republic 2 2 0 0 5 3 6
Germany 2 0 2 0 1 1 2
Holland 2 0 1 1 3 4 1
Latvia 2 0 1 1 1 2 1

The top two qualify for the quarter-finals.
Czech Republic reach the last eight.

Group D explained

The Czechs have won Group D.
Germany are guaranteed to progress if they win against the Czechs.
The Dutch will go through with victory against Latvia only if the Germans do not beat the Czechs.
Latvia will only go through with a victory and a Czech win or draw.
If the Czechs win and the Latvia - Netherlands match is a draw, the Netherlands will reach the quarter-finals with two points as long as the match against Latvia is a score draw. If it is goalless, the Netherlands will go through unless Germany lose by the odd goal in a match with at least five goals. Then the Germans qualify on UEFA's coefficient.
Image Image

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:41 pm

dreamer wrote: You probably mean a place in the quarter-finals ;) nothing can guarantee a place in the final at this stage ;)
If Germany wins, they qualify. If Germany looses Netherlands qualifies if they win (or Latvia is they win).
What if Germany ties & either Latvia or Netherlands win.........who would advance?

Majava

Post by Majava » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:46 pm

Phil wrote:What if Germany ties & either Latvia or Netherlands win.........who would advance?
Easy answer: if Germany ties with 0-0. Then it's Latvia who proceeds if Latvia wins (even with only 1-0), but Holland if Holland wins . In case of a situation with different end scores, read this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 818337.stm
Not easy....
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:26 pm

ENGLAND SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1-1 :)

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:33 pm

Scholesy

neil

Post by neil » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:37 pm

Rooney is on fire!
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:38 pm

Phil wrote:
dreamer wrote: You probably mean a place in the quarter-finals ;) nothing can guarantee a place in the final at this stage ;)
What if Germany ties & either Latvia or Netherlands win.........who would advance?
If Germany draw, a winner out of Latvia vs. Holland will go through.

If both games are drawn it's a bit more complicated. See my quote above.
Image Image

stig

Post by stig » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:16 am

Phil wrote: What if Germany ties & either Latvia or Netherlands win.........who would advance?
The Czechs have won this group, due to a soccer point scored against the Dutch from a strike attempt by their offense from the eight-meter disc in the dieing seconds.

If the Germans score more soccer points than the Czech's and are victorious they will progress to the finals of the European World Series, I suspect that for the Germans to do this they will need alot of cross-pitch play especially from the left zone.

The Dutch will progress to the finals on assists if they beat the Latvians and if the Germans do not beat the Czechs. If the Germans beat the czechs, the assists wont matter and neither will soccer-points-converted.

Latvia will only progress if they beat the Dutch and the Czechs either win or the match is tied. Latvia will need to play a strong game, score many soccer points and be tight in defense whilst pushing players into the centre zone. Possiby they would be advised to play a strong defence until the 50 percent stage and then push on with strong offense after the midway shutdown. Chances are Latvia will not score a soccer point and will be leaving the tournament.

If the Czechs succesfully win and the Latvia - Netherlands match is tied at match-completeion, the netherlands progress to the finals with two league points if and only if the match is a score tie (ie. both teams complete the time with equal soccer-points!) If there are no soccer-points scored the netherlands progress to the finals of the football european world series unless Germany lose by only 1 soccer point in a match with at least five soccer points scored (aka high-soccer-point-scored-offensive -match).

Hope this clears things up a bit for you.

Stig.
"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:22 am

:thumbsup: Thanks gang!

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:36 am